Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 11:17 AM

8,293 posts, read 23,133,690 times

Advertisements

So I was looking for a nice quality European motorcycle and was told to look into a Ural Motorcycle or a Moto Guzzi or a Ducati. I like the old Ural's look and would be looking for an older looking bike. I am looking for an all black bike with a single head light. Any suggestions or websites to consider

IMZ-Ural - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 01:21 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,206,122 times
The Ural can hardly be considered remotely equivalent to Moto Guzzis, and especially Ducatis. I think of the Ural as a big Royal Enfield. I think they both look cool, but they are basically 1950s bikes which perform like 1950s bikes. They are very very retro!

Old 02-10-2010, 02:45 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,135,703 times
The Ural is the most unique bike you mentioned, and the most retro by far - it's essentially a knock-off of an early BMW twin. There is an article in the current Rider on a guy who rides a Ural sidecar outfit in the Minnesota winter - they are tough but not at all fast. I saw guys hauling hay in the sidecars in Ukraine a couple of years ago.

The Guzzi is also an air-cooled twin, and shaft driven, but there the similarity ends. Guzzis are, in general, excellent touring bikes, much faster and more powerful than Ural

Ducatis in general will be the most expensive, and the fastest of the 3 marques you mention. They have full-on sport bikes and sport-tourers mostly. If you don't know what "Desmodromic" means, if you get involved with Ducatis, you will be finding out.

Not knowing you or how you will want to ride the bike, I can't comment on which one would work best for you.

Being there in Milwaukee, you might want to think about a Sportster, the later models are very decent bikes, easy to live with, good resale value if that matters to you. Or, being in Milwaukee, you may be OD'd on H-D already.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:35 AM

8,293 posts, read 23,133,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Being there in Milwaukee, you might want to think about a Sportster, the later models are very decent bikes, easy to live with, good resale value if that matters to you. Or, being in Milwaukee, you may be OD'd on H-D already.
I never was a Harley fan until the Harley 100th Anniversary party and I saw some of the coolest most orginal bikes from all over the world and I was just floored when I saw how huge the Harley community is.

I'm a smaller guy 5'6 170 so I have always worried about being able to hold a bigger Harley up. I do like your recommendation of the Sportster. I just love the Nightster 1200, all black! I really would love one of those as well.

c\o: Harley-Davidson USA

Old 02-12-2010, 05:03 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,837,665 times
Good luck. There must be thousands of black single headlight cycles on craigslist.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:35 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,306,892 times
I'd immediately disregard any advice from someone that a) Put Urals, Guzzis, and Ducs in the same basket and b) Claimed that Urals were of good quality.

I don't think you can buy a Ural anymore without the hack anyways.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:32 PM

31 posts, read 202,738 times
Default Triumph Bonneville

You should check out the Bonneville, old school looks with real world reliability. I think you'd dig the Bonnie Black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles