Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 12:16 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,696,802 times

Advertisements

I've owned a 01' ZX6R and a 250R. I've ridden for 3 years with a combination of ride time between those 2. I can park,ride ect with no problem on those old ones.

This 07' Z1000 i've dropped so many times parking, i don't know why. I am getting ready to park and loose it. I am getting ready to go, loose it.

The bike is 150 lbs heavier then those other ones, no aero what so ever. It's an alright bike but it corners strange and feels very sloppy compared to the others.

I can't make any rhyme or reason on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 12:24 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,783,813 times
Have you considered investing in some kickstands?
My step-dad has them for his motorcycle.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:30 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
I've owned a 01' ZX6R and a 250R. I've ridden for 3 years with a combination of ride time between those 2. I can park,ride ect with no problem on those old ones.

This 07' Z1000 i've dropped so many times parking, i don't know why. I am getting ready to park and loose it. I am getting ready to go, loose it.

The bike is 150 lbs heavier then those other ones, no aero what so ever. It's an alright bike but it corners strange and feels very sloppy compared to the others.

I can't make any rhyme or reason on it.
That is strange, maybe your using to much front brake while stopping, you say it feels sloppy, how so, loose? do you feet sit flat on the ground or are you on your toes? Front ire good? air pressure correct?

Old 12-20-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
That is strange, maybe your using to much front brake while stopping, you say it feels sloppy, how so, loose? do you feet sit flat on the ground or are you on your toes? Front ire good? air pressure correct?
im wobbling in corners, compared to the other bikes it feeling like a knife cutting paper, this bike feels like butter slabbed on bread.

Good point. I think it's my front tire. I've tried to complain to the stealership i bought it from that it has square tires (a bike sitting in the crate or floor for too long)

Old 12-21-2008, 12:19 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
im wobbling in corners, compared to the other bikes it feeling like a knife cutting paper, this bike feels like butter slabbed on bread.

Good point. I think it's my front tire. I've tried to complain to the stealership i bought it from that it has square tires (a bike sitting in the crate or floor for too long)
let me know what you find out.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:40 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,863,813 times
Is it one of the old style Models that require you putting a foot down when stopped?

Unless you have the double gyroscopic whiz bang option most people still need to put our feet down when stopped, at least after ten or twenty seconds.

Oh another thing to consider: after two beers . . . stay off the bike.

Good luck

GL2

Old 12-21-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Is it one of the old style Models that require you putting a foot down when stopped?

Unless you have the double gyroscopic whiz bang option most people still need to put our feet down when stopped, at least after ten or twenty seconds.

Oh another thing to consider: after two beers . . . stay off the bike.

Good luck

GL2
Old style, maybe. It's a naked bike with a steel frame. The bike does turn off when it's sideways. My wife made a comment, "every time you need new tires, you drop your bike." lol!

Next bike i get is not going to be so high and heavy.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:28 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,863,813 times
I have been riding for close to fifty years. One of my most embarassing moments was in 1978. I am six foot but I have short legs. In 1978 I bought a Yamaha 1100. My usual rides at the time were Harleys that sat at least three or four inches lower and my favorite ride at the time was a 1970 XLCH that was two hundred pounds lighter and lower than the Yamaha.

That particular day was a fine summer day. I was visiting friends in Oklahoma City and while they were at work I was riding around the city. There was a really cute young lady in the lane next to me in a convertible with her top down. I was in the lane next to her when the light turned red and we had to stop. I was enjoying her seatcovers and I wasn't really paying close attention to the road surface. I stopped and went to put my left foot down. By the time I realized my foot was not going to reach the bottom of the six inch pothole the bike was already past the center of gravity. I fell on my keester right beside the car of the young lady I had been admiring. The only thing that hurt was my pride. She did have a good laugh though and I managed to get her phone number. Strange thing though, she never wanted a ride on my Yamaha.

GL2

Old 12-22-2008, 01:53 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,058,915 times
Depending on what's actually causing you to drop the bike, if you are dropping it moving off from a stop, or at very low speeds, I'd suggest (for the time being) get ahold of "Ride Like a Pro" training video/books, written by a police motor training officer.

Last summer I managed to take a Police Motor course, to try to boil down the 2 weekends of training to a couple of "quips"

1 you go where you look, so look where you want to go. You have to keep your head up and look at a landmark at or above eye level in making tight turns. In a really tight turn your head should be turned as far as it will go, likewise the bike needs to be at full lock or damn near, so as to turn tight(Head & Eyes)

2 by lightly riding the rear brake and slipping the clutch, with practice, you can learn to balance the bike independent of steering (consider the bike in a full-lock turn, at low speed, you are going around in a circle. If you let the clutch out a little, and/or gas it some, the bike will tend to lean less and you will run wider. Applying the rear brake does the opposite. This takes a while to put into muscle memory (Grey Area)

3 At low speed when making U-turns, etc, don't be in a big hurry to let the clutch all the way out. It will take *way* more abuse than you think. Keeping revs up (some, I'm not talking about an extended drag-type launch) and the clutch slipping will avoid stalling, plus in conjunction with at least covering the rear brake, keeps that altenative balancing method available, keeps your butt off the pavement.

Needless to say, harder to put into practice than to type about it.

If you possibly can, enroll in this type of training! It's expensive and consumes 2 weekends in their entirity, plus usually beats you up physically, but having real instructinon and an old retired police bike that's been dropped 1000 times so you don't have to worry about scrathing it up - these are the conditions to learn the techniques.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:58 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
me too keep dropping mine too.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles