Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 11:25 AM

215 posts, read 607,230 times

Advertisements

So, we used to have an off road bike 125 I think it was and I could drive that just fine, etc. But my mom made us sell it because she hates it. Now, I need a new car soon and I'm really wanting to get a motorcycle instead. Should I do this or is my mom right on not letting me get one? I feel like I could get a handle on it fast if I just have one, what should I do?

BTW, I'm 20 years old and my '91 accord is on it's last legs.

Would getting a good, cheap Honda motorcycle be good for a beginner or no? I don't have a lot of case to spend if I do get it, maybe $2500 or less?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 12:45 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,038,804 times
Can't blame your mom for NOT wanting you to becoming a potential organ donor! Impaired, distracted, and reckless driver potential is greater than ever . . and parking lots are among the worst places for distracted drivers. Honesty assess the calculated risk and always wear proper safety gear. Related post.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:58 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
I guess being 20 doesn't mean what it used to.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:11 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
If your mom is paying the bills, listen to your mom.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:22 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,982 times
You're 20 and your mom won't let you?

I bought a 175 Yamaha when I was 19, but then, I was married. It was a dirt bike and I LOVED it. It was also registered for road and I rode it everywhere. We also had a 350 road bike that I rode to work every day. They were both small, but were good enough for us at that time. My spouse had a 250 dirt bike.

Motorcycles are dangerous, no doubt about that, but they give you a sense of freedom you can't get with a car. One thing you should consider though; riding in the rain is VERY dangerous and VERY wet. You really need a car, then a bike for good weather. Winters in NC can be wet, cold, and at times, slippery. A car is necessary, a bike fun.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:22 PM

190 posts, read 681,166 times
Why do you want a bike over a car? If you think it will be lots cheaper think again. Buying proper gear is expensive. Motorcycle repairs and tires are expensive, it can add up pretty quick. You also should budget in proper training.
What do you plan to do when it is raining or cold?
If you aren't factoring in those things your mom is right you shouldn't have a motorcycle.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:59 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
One thing you should consider though; riding in the rain is VERY dangerous and VERY wet. You really need a car, then a bike for good weather. Winters in NC can be wet, cold, and at times, slippery. A car is necessary, a bike fun.
I agree with the above. I ride every chance I get, but sometimes it's just not practical, like when the weather is cold/wet or when I have to carry too much (or too many).

Old 05-18-2009, 07:46 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,174,224 times
maybe it's because she knows how you drive:

How many of you speed and such?

Mike

PS - troll?

Old 05-18-2009, 08:08 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,652,487 times
When I was your age...ages ago...LOL, I was in grad school and had a little 80 suzuki. I rode it back and forth to classes since it was inexpensive to run. My Mom found out, now remember I'm really an adult, but she said she would pray it never worked again.
Well it didn't, I took it to the shop until I ran out of money! I finally gave up and sold it. I'm sure she was rejoicing.
But I have a Silverwing now, I'm almost 60, and my dad is not happy that I have the bike. I have taken safely classes and always wear all my safety gear.
If you are really serious than maybe taking some good safely classes would help her to see that would you give yourself the best chance to be safe. The accidents are usually the cars fault, and face it there are just bigger.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:58 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
The first two places you need to spend $$$ are an MSF Rider Course and decent riding gear, without those two in place the bike's not a wise choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles