Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 07:32 PM

147 posts, read 135,285 times

Advertisements

a new study by the CDC. of course in favor of mandatory helmets.
Helmet Use Among Motorcyclists Who Died in Crashes and Economic Cost Savings Associated With State Motorcycle Helmet Laws — United States, 2008–2010

I will dig into it later, but one glowing issue I see they say it costs us billions a year. But when you dig into the numbers it "claims" a death costs us over a million dollars a year is how they calculated their costs.

again from what my friends tell me that are emergency room doctors I ask them the cost of a dead person vs a person that lives with a helmet. well gee the dead one costs ZERO, they do not bring them to the hospital.

Quote:
Corresponding cost calculations from NHTSA¶ were then applied to these estimates, and the resulting costs were adjusted to year 2010 dollars. Costs saved were estimated to be $1,212,800 per fatality, $171,753 per serious injury, and $7,523 per minor injury (in year 2010 dollars) (NHTSA, unpublished data, 2012). Costs saved included injury-related costs (e.g., medical and emergency services costs, and household and work productivity losses) and excluded costs (e.g., property damage and travel delay). For this report, costs saved were standardized by state by dividing the total costs saved in each state by the number of registered motorcycles in that state in 2010** to determine costs saved per registered motorcycle.
has anyone ever seen such calculations for dead people before? Is that what they say the cost of a smoker is, a person who rides a bicycle, a person shot in gang violence and so on? Or is this just a new way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 07:47 PM

833 posts, read 1,714,501 times
I live in Arkansas...............no mandatory law

I recently moved from Minnesota.......no mandatory law

Old 06-19-2012, 11:57 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,716,649 times
Wear a helmet. I wnt down two weeks ago at 50mph, flipped over the bars when traffic stopped faster than I could and locked the front wheel. Rash on my knees and a concussion, the worst of it is me not being able to remember anything from the day of the accident until waking up in the hospital the next morning.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 7.7 using Tapatalk 2
Attached Thumbnails
Do you live in a State that does NOT require a helmet?-uploadfromtaptalk1340171814621.jpg  

Old 06-20-2012, 12:00 AM

52 posts, read 142,686 times
No, I live in Georgia and wearing you helmet is as important is wearing your seatbelt. The nearest state to me that doesn't have a helmet law is Florida, but I'm sure they have more motorcycle crash injuries than the states that have the law.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:42 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
What are "helmet laws"???

I owned a full face helmet before I owned a motorcycle, and that was over 2 decades ago. It's just one of those common sense things to me (I know, it ain't common anymore) .

It's interesting to read crash statistics. In a majority of crashes, the head hits pavement. In a majority of Those crashes, the chin takes the most impact. It was certainly true of my 2 off-racetrack incidents, sure glad that I didn't lose my ability to chew at 21 or 23 years old (or died, I think death would be kinder).

Old 06-20-2012, 02:45 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,409,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
Wear a helmet. I wnt down two weeks ago at 50mph, flipped over the bars when traffic stopped faster than I could and locked the front wheel. Rash on my knees and a concussion, the worst of it is me not being able to remember anything from the day of the accident until waking up in the hospital the next morning.

That picture makes a most excellent case for, not only helmet laws, but full-faced ones.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:54 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
That picture makes a most excellent case for, not only helmet laws, but full-faced ones.
On the other hand, his handle just might say it all. He may have been riding a 2Big4U, and not have any road years of experience under his belt.

I wore a lid like that once and that lid broke my neck. Sometimes a lid like that is just a bucket to carry brains in. It all depends.

This is what ended up dead in my last crash.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:24 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I wore a lid like that once and that lid broke my neck. Sometimes a lid like that is just a bucket to carry brains in. It all depends.
That's what happens when you wear a helmet that's too big for your noggin. Most people pick way too big of a helmet, heck even Jay Leno, with all his money and "assistance", was wearing 1~2 sizes too big when checked by a professional (1~2 because it would be 1 with the thickest liners, or 2 with the thinnest, he was right on the edge between the 2). Jay Leno's Garage - Arai Helmets | Accessories I can't seem to find the comments from the Arai rep about trying to get Leno into the correct size helmet (2 down, they got him 1 down)

Old 06-20-2012, 07:27 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,716,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
On the other hand, his handle just might say it all. He may have been riding a 2Big4U, and not have any road years of experience under his belt.

This is what ended up dead in my last crash.
600cc FZ6, been riding it since 2008. I'm also 27, not a teenager. I just chose to not change my usernames for anything. Experienced? Maybe not as much as some, but not a new rider either. Then again, experience is nothing. I watched a Harley rider for "30+" years drop a 250 during my MSF class stopping.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:02 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
600cc FZ6, been riding it since 2008. I'm also 27, not a teenager. I just chose to not change my usernames for anything. Experienced? Maybe not as much as some, but not a new rider either. Then again, experience is nothing. I watched a Harley rider for "30+" years drop a 250 during my MSF class stopping.

Riding since 1964, Mostly Brit bikes till HD came along cheap. 2 of them pre AMF, and UJC ever since with out looking back. Current ride is a 06 Vulcan Nomad.

That lid saved your head, but it didn't stop you from lack of attention. It's a good bet you stopped paying attention for a seconds worth of time and that's what got you in that bad place in the first place.

It happens. But a lid will not always save a rider and there need not be any lid laws for the revnewers to get fundings of.

I own and use 3 lids but in NH am not forced to wear them nor would I if I were. Some days are just to Fine to wear any at all. No riders will evade DEATH, and no one else will either.

Crash 1 was in 79, and I was in a lid that broke my neck, but other injuries almost killed me anyway.

Crash 2 was due to a trailer jumping a hitch in 05 and wearing a lid was moot. No damage to either lid in both crashes.

Crash 3 09 I hit a jeep that hit a moose at night, and was wearing no lid, but wasn't injured a bit and only lost the ft fender on the 06 Nomad. One just can never tell.

I see it as when yer number comes up it's it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles