Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 04:30 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,263,806 times

Advertisements

i just have different sensibilities, i guess, but i think that 95 percent of the movie-going public must be morons.

take this forum or forums like it, for example. and a movie like 2012. somebody always starts up a thread, that based on the trailer, "this movie looks FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!" and i'm like, based on the trailer, "this movie looks like the worst piece of **** ever." it boggles my mind that GROWN PEOPLE would have anything positive to say about Sex and the City 2, or 90 percent of films generally for that matter.

i remember being in the theater several years ago, and the preview for Adam Sandler's The Water Boy came on. the preview consisted of several football tackles made by a retarded man. and a grown-ass man behind me, probably at least in his 30's was laughing hysterically as if each tackle was more hillarious than the next. i felt embarassed. i just dont understand how adults can come to be satisfied with such stale humor, and such obnoxious story telling that is...well, movies these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 08:10 AM

15,145 posts, read 14,333,539 times
Tinseltown is first and foremost about appearance, substance is very low down on the list of things that matter there.Some people believe that the function of movies is to teach the audience. Others are of the opinion that if the movie doesn't bore anyone to death its worked pretty well. Wherever you stand on the issue, there's sure to be at least one person with the opposite view.In the words of Will Rogers,"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:16 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,385,448 times
No, its not easy being cynical. I know, I am a harsh movie cynic myself.

It started some years ago when I noticed every movie I went to see I hated and really I barely see 5 movies in a year now; usually only liking about half. I have very little interest in movies anymore, much to my husband's chagrin. I just get bored, I don't find things funny and I just can't get into the plots or story lines.

I have been the only person I know like this. Guess its good to know I am not the only one.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:17 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,385,448 times
Oh and I absolutely HATED The Water Boy.

I also find about 90% of movies out a complete waste of my time.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:30 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,683,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
i just have different sensibilities, i guess, but i think that 95 percent of the movie-going public must be morons.

take this forum or forums like it, for example. and a movie like 2012. somebody always starts up a thread, that based on the trailer, "this movie looks FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!" and i'm like, based on the trailer, "this movie looks like the worst piece of **** ever." it boggles my mind that GROWN PEOPLE would have anything positive to say about Sex and the City 2, or 90 percent of films generally for that matter.

i remember being in the theater several years ago, and the preview for Adam Sandler's The Water Boy came on. the preview consisted of several football tackles made by a retarded man. and a grown-ass man behind me, probably at least in his 30's was laughing hysterically as if each tackle was more hillarious than the next. i felt embarassed. i just dont understand how adults can come to be satisfied with such stale humor, and such obnoxious story telling that is...well, movies these days.
2012 did "Look" awesome however most of the people posting in the thread said it sucked which it did . I dont see the issue.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:05 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,624,575 times
I'm torn on this one. On one hand, I understand why you are so cynical as I am myself. On the other hand, I think I (and others) probably need to lighten up. People like what they like and it doesn't necessarily make them an idiot. Or maybe it does!

Old 06-25-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
2012 did "Look" awesome however most of the people posting in the thread said it sucked which it did . I dont see the issue.
the issue is that it most certainly did not "look" awesome. judging from the trailer, it "looked" like it was going to be every bit as stupid as it turned out to be.

to me, anyway.

and i just have a hard time wraping my mind around how someone over the age of say, 13, can see that CGI-heavy trailer, and the ridiculousness of the action sequences (airplanes flying underneath collapsing buildings)(almost as stupid as people running away from blasts of cold air) and think that it looks like it is going to be anything else but...well, stupid.

that's the issue.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:49 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,034,677 times
IMHO it is EASY to be cynical.

It's hip to be cynical; the film industry is rife with it.
It began in the 70's and has only deepened over the years.
Ironic self-awareness is the rule of the day; disenchanted cynical viewers find validation in sneering at everything, because this addictive, predictable practice ensures that they will never be disappointed.

The challenge to movie makers is to *create* rather than formulate art.

The challenge to movie viewers is to be skeptical, yet not closed off.

It's good to be wary of BS, but in our snarky effort to "keep it real," we should not forsake ALL legitimacy. There is still truth and beauty out there.

Remember what Oscar Wilde said: "A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing."

I find that about 85-90% of films are worthy of my time.
I not only research and choose carefully, I also choose according to my mood. Sometimes I will read or view weighty, challenging material--something with real conviction, that makes me really think, perhaps even change.
Other times I am more interested in something lighter--I appreciate humor and believe a good comedy it is more difficult than drama.
This works for me, my kids, and many friends.

It is my hope that in the 21st century we can ease ourselves away, at least just a bit, from the banality of cynicism.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:50 PM

[quote=BlueWillowPlate;14781133]

Quote:
IMHO it is EASY to be cynical.
well, it's definitely hard not to be. when i say, it's "not easy being cynical" what i mean is that i enjoy movies, but clearly, i am not the target audience for most of the, well...crap, that they come out with.

Quote:
It's hip to be cynical; the film industry is rife with it.
It began in the 70's and has only deepened over the years.
Ironic self-awareness is the rule of the day; disenchanted cynical viewers find validation in sneering at everything, because this addictive, predictable practice ensures that they will never be disappointed.
^ not to be defensive here, but that's not me. i'm just a guy who cant sit through a movie that i know exectly what's going to happen before the opening credits - or that is just a cluster**** of special effects or other obnoxiousness.

Quote:
The challenge to movie makers is to *create* rather than formulate art.
wonderfully put. and that is the problem about 90 percent of the time - is their failure to do exactly that.

Quote:
I appreciate humor and believe a good comedy it is more difficult than drama.
that must be true because a good comedy is so hard to find. to me, a good comedy is one that keeps the "funny" going from start to finish. a lot of comedies lose there funny for sappiness after about the first 15 min. others are just formulaic chick flicks in disguise.

Quote:
It is my hope that in the 21st century we can ease ourselves away, at least just a bit, from the banality of cynicism.
i actually think that now is the time for increased cyniscism - and i dont just mean movies. but as for movies hopefully an increase of cynical thought (or thought of any kind) will bring about an age of better film making when people stop lining up to see **** like 2012, or anything with Adam Sandler...or Rob Schnieder...

Old 06-26-2010, 03:39 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Any person is entitled to like any movie.

There are a lot of movies I did not like at all, but others did, honestly I don't care and I don't criticize. I have my opinion, they have theirs.

Some movies are just for the so-called "mindless entertainment"... not everybody who enjoyed them thinks they are Oscar-worthy.

It is just unpretentious entertainment, that is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies