Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 08:44 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,462,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Exactly.
You ladies have jokes. Wii, PS3, I like that. I'm aware, but being that I had to purchase and figure out how to make the old tv I have capable of operating with a dvd player, I think I'll wait a while to run out and buy anymore devices to upgrade to this decade's streaming gadgets. Plus ever hear of a thread in the Retirement forum called Living on a Shoestring? LOL.

One headache at a time, thank you very much. I'll upgrade in 2011, when my eyes stop crossing from dealing with hooking up the last few contraptions I have taking up space around my abode.

So, my reply is, yes, I'm aware of most of today's latest tech gadgets, just not savy on using some of them, and they aren't in the budget at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 12:41 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
I like the price for redbox - $1.25 plus the fact I can drop it off at ANY redbox I'm going past before 9pm the next day and most supermarkets seem to have them outside now.

That said, their choices are limited, but they also have buy pre-viewed dvd for $5 which isn't bad.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:42 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
You ladies have jokes. Wii, PS3, I like that. I'm aware, but being that I had to purchase and figure out how to make the old tv I have capable of operating with a dvd player, I think I'll wait a while to run out and buy anymore devices to upgrade to this decade's streaming gadgets. Plus ever hear of a thread in the Retirement forum called Living on a Shoestring? LOL.

One headache at a time, thank you very much. I'll upgrade in 2011, when my eyes stop crossing from dealing with hooking up the last few contraptions I have taking up space around my abode.

So, my reply is, yes, I'm aware of most of today's latest tech gadgets, just not savy on using some of them, and they aren't in the budget at the moment.

LOL, I never got an Xbox or a Wii and I stopped at PS2. One "gadget" I DO want though is a multi regional dvd player. That's on my wish list for sure.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:48 AM

245 posts, read 585,936 times
Netflix is better,IMHO.
Larger selection.
Movie quality is better.
And I hate waiting in line in front of a RedBox...LOL

Old 07-20-2010, 11:55 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,734,072 times
i hate em both... it ruins the movie renting business. i go to a local place by my house 88 video.. Been in business for twenty years... Sadly these small businesses are losing money cuz of these stupid redboxes and netflix

Old 07-28-2010, 06:34 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,185 times
Best deal going for me is NetFlix and a Roku.

I canceled all of my premium movie channels several years ago after noting that what they chose to air, and what I wanted to watch, were two very different things . . . well, movies. I do miss some of the premium channel shows, however. Eventually, though, they end up on NetFlix, available as a season's series, which is great. I can get my 'fix' in one or two sittings, depending upon how much time I have on my hands.

NetFlix works for me as I am fairly patient when it comes to wanting to see the newest releases, so I get one movie in the mail at a time, and then can download and watch as many instant movies as I choose -- or can remember, type-in and find. Instant movies are available on my computer, or on the tv through the Roku, which was a one-time investment.

If I have company, and there is something we are all just dying to see, I will make a trip to the closest RedBox, but then, it's the inconvenience of having to drive over, hope they have the release, and all of the copies aren't currently out, and then the inconvenience of driving back to return it the next day. If I ever want to watch something multiple times, it really isn't too convenient to do it with a Redbox-rented film.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:39 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,710,189 times
we have HBO and Starz, but I think we're gonna drop that soon. I like Redbox more b/c we only watch 1 or 2 dvds a week. Plus I can get tons through my library for free. So it's cheaper.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:24 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,660,936 times
We do both and both are great. With all Netflix offers for $9 a month, especially the instant movies and shows, Netflix can't be beat.

That said, when we want to watch a movie on the DAY it is released, we can't beat Redbox. There is also a Redbox .4 miles from my house, a Redbox .8 miles from my house, and a Redbox 1.4 miles from my house. At $1, that's hard to beat.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:32 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,854,658 times
I've got Netflix and I'm on the 3 movies out at a time and unlimited instant viewing. I love it! I canceled my cable 5 months ago and don't miss it at all.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:05 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I've never tried Netflix and I never tried the redbox but I've wondered about both. I gave up movie theaters when the tickets went to $10 unless I really wanted to see the movie. Then i gave up on blockbuster when they changed their policy to 1 day rentals or $5.99 for a week. Then I started buying the previewed movies for $5 but I've got sooo many now and I rarely watch them; plus I did this with VHS and now don't even own a working VCR. Then I tried PPV but then my cable bill was sky high...
I'm surprised Blockbuster isn't closed yet. The ones here in Texas be dead and empty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies