Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 08:36 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,565,811 times

Advertisements

I also agree about the 'R' rating this scintillating film received; it's beyond asinine.

I'm inclined to think it'll win at least three Oscar; Best Picture, Best Actor for Colin Firth, and Best Director for Tom Hooper.

It'd definitely on a par with 1984's equally wonderful and fascinating 'Amadeus', which won eight Oscars, IIRC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 07:15 AM

891 posts, read 2,449,828 times
I think it is amazing that this movie has crossed the $100 M gross mark here in the US. That is a testament to how good of a movie it is (because the general plot is not the type that brings in huge audiences) and great word of mouth. I give everyone credit who went to see it.

I've seen it three times as I have wanted to bring different people to the movie. In each case they have been very surprised how much they liked the movie even though they didn't want to see it going in - figured it would be boring.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:47 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,160,393 times
I absolutely loved this movie. I thought Firth, Rush, and Bonham-Carter were all amazing. What an inspiring story. I've always loved Colin Firth - and can only love him more, now! I don't know a single person who hasn't liked this movie. It's simply wonderful.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:37 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,313,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BU191433 View Post
I think it is amazing that this movie has crossed the $100 M gross mark here in the US. That is a testament to how good of a movie it is (because the general plot is not the type that brings in huge audiences) and great word of mouth. I give everyone credit who went to see it.
I've been keeping my eye on the box office take on Box Office Mojo. I've been excited to watch it continue to do well. It's very deserving of any success.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:57 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,546,711 times
I just saw this yesterday, and I really enjoyed it. I loved the humor, and anyone who has ever had a fear of public speaking should be able to relate. I don't even have a speech impediment, but the beginning of the movie made me wince in sympathy. If you take such a fear and multiply it by 1,000; that's probably how Albert felt at that moment!

I'm looking forward to watching the Academy Awards tonight, because this film will hopefully do very well!

Old 02-27-2011, 01:00 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
Sandy, agree fully. I hope this film racks up a lot of awards. I'll be watching, glass of wine in hand....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:42 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Yea!!!!!! For once, my favorite pulled through! I am so used to being disappointed, but not this year!

Old 02-27-2011, 09:48 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,239,181 times
Smile The King's Speech

I am so glad this won Best Movie and Colin Firth Best Actor.

This is one time I wish my mom were still alive. She was Canadian and even though she spent most of her adult life in the US, she was so formal so I was used to him not opening up more. My mom was actually like that, too.

It made realize more about England and I thought it was so well made. He did an excellent job - I really thought I was there!

Old 02-27-2011, 11:12 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,590,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I am so glad this won Best Movie and Colin Firth Best Actor.
Me too! Big time. I am so glad The Social Network did not win (tee hee)

I don't have Facebook and I fail to see the hype of it all Just being honest. I'm sure all the Gen-Y'ers wanted it to win. Tough tea and crumpets for you guys

Old 02-28-2011, 05:01 AM

744 posts, read 2,481,753 times
I was so doing the "happy, happy dance " when it was annouced Colin Firth won best actor and the film also won best picture . !!
Though I haven't seen " The Fighter " , I really felt Geofry Rush (sp ? ) got ripped in the best supporting actor catagory. I felt he so deserved it . He played beautifully against Mr. Firth in this film.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies