Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 05:28 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,222,724 times

Advertisements

I just finished watching this movie on TWC On Demand. It was I think a very limited release film. I highly recommend it. Rich, nuanced, good performances, great camera work, music. It is a quiet movie, not a lot happens really but yet it went really fast. Some funny lines, a bit of a melancholoy tearjerker at the end. Very much a Duvall film like The Apostle which was excellent but yet different. There are some reviews with some criticisms but a lot positive that did. I'm with them. Beware of spoilers if you read them.

Interview with Aaron Schneider, director of Get Low - VideoHound Blogs - VideoHound's Golden Movie Retriever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 06:48 PM

744 posts, read 2,483,291 times
All I cans say about this film is that if you are a Robert Duval fan, you will not be disappointed. Though this was a low budget film, he brought his A game to it. He is such a master of his proffession.
I also loved the others in the cast. Some of the looks Bill Murray and Lucas (?) give in the film are just great.
Ohhh and the antique cars , especially the funeral herse , are just awsome !

Old 03-26-2011, 06:52 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,492,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go falcons View Post
All I cans say about this film is that if you are a Robert Duval fan, you will not be disappointed. Though this was a low budget film, he brought his A game to it. He is such a master of his proffession.
I also loved the others in the cast. Some of the looks Bill Murray and Lucas (?) give in the film are just great.
Ohhh and the antique cars , especially the funeral herse , are just awsome !
I'm glad to hear this. I have been waiting to see the film for a couple of years.

It was filmed in Newnan, GA--not far from Atlanta. Certain they had a good cinematographer as well as an excellent cast and interesting story to tell.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:36 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,597,475 times
Thanks for the recommendation. Love RD, hadn't heard of this movie, and was looking for something to watch

Old 03-27-2011, 12:45 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,354,812 times
Love Sissy spacek, we don't see her enough.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:00 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,798,808 times
Had not heard of this movie but love the work of all the actors. Thanks for the recommendation.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:36 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
I loved it. Duvall again proves he is the most talented American actor working today.

But really, I thought Bill Murray stole every scene he was in.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:56 PM

237 posts, read 379,895 times
I bought this movie on a lark last month, and love it! Robert Duvall, is so great(but isn't he always!)and Sissy consistantly picks interesting roles. This was also, just so beautifully shot, a sort of moving landscape painting. Get Low, finds a nice balance between raw emotion and dark humour.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:47 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,222,724 times
I'm thankful that movies like this still get made. From the link above it sounds as if it is getting harder and harder. I think it took about 10 years from when it was written.
I am also thankful that there are actors who are willing, who want to act in these vs. make the same big thing over and over like Aniston. If that's all we had to watch it'd be like living on candy.
They are hard to find out about. If Winters Bone hadn't been nominated I would never have heard of it. If I hadn't been googling Bill Murray I wouldn't have known about this.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:13 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,633,251 times
I saw "Get Low" during our vacation in Santa Fe last Fall with Hubby and we loved it. I think it might possibly be one of my favourite films of recent years actually.

I thought the acting was superlative, there was a lot of sharp and witty humour but also a great deal of poignancy, The script was needle sharp and the film basically a perfect example of what truly great cinema can be, the art of Storytelling at its very best.

A deceptively simple movie with a great heart . I cannot believe something as good as this has been overlooked by most people and pretty much not publicised at all .It deserves better.

It restored my faith in American Movies a little bit, the fact that there is still a pool of people talented enough and intelligent enough in the movie business to see the value of such films. Old fashioned movie making and I mean that as a compliment. Substance over style for a change, how refreshing.

I wish we had a few more "Get Low" and a lot less "Transformers", "Avatar" etc..

But I don't suppose our modern society is not geared up for something which needs savouring and is not a quick succession of loud explosions, steamy sex scenes, and over-blown special effects. Apparently now our brains are only geared up for the lowest common denominator .

Going to the movies now usually means being patronised and to my mind exploited and demeaned as a viewer.

Mainstream films on the whole are simply depressing to me. Storytelling replaced by the skill-less "sound-bite" which the populace can easily lap up and digest without too much effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies