Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 08:50 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiansheng_g View Post
(Nosferatu)
Good one G 先生, that movie is creepy after almost a century.

My most scary are same as others have mentioned movies like Ammityville, Exorcist, Omen. Evil Dead freaked me out pretty good when that girl's voice changed while guessing the cards.

The window scene from Salem's Lot has been discussed before in these forums, for a single horror movie segment that caused me the most distress as a kid that wins hands down. I didn't look at my bedroom window at night for years after that.

salems lot 1979 window scene - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 10:13 PM

358 posts, read 470,944 times
Along with many of the films already mentioned, The Excorcist, The Shining, The Thing, The Ring, etc., here are a couple of my favorites

The Devil's Backbone (2001) - Trailer - YouTube
The Devil's Backbone

THE DESCENT Theatrical Trailer - YouTube
The Descent

Old 10-13-2011, 08:18 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Both The Exorcist and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre terrified me as a kid. But I watched The Exorcist again not that long ago and didn't find it all that compelling. A very over-rated movie for the most part. TTCM I haven't seen since I was a kid, because I'm really not into slasher movies. I want more out of a movie than simply bad guy(s) on a murderous rampage.

Horror movies really don't scare me. If I want to get scared, I watch the news.
The Exorcist remains my favorite Horror film of all times. It's not that it was over-rated. This film was made in the early 70's and for it's time it was extremely intense. The special effects were all done without any CGI and were quite impressive! And because of that and the subject matter, even after seeing this movie at least 100+ times it still gives me chills.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:10 PM

728 posts, read 1,676,828 times
There's The Exorcist, and everything else. Everything it lacks in CGI special effects, it makes up for in an assault on your psyche and inner most fears. The overall mood of the film is just plain ole dark-it's set in an historic Georgetown neighborhood in late fall. There's the back stories of Damien Karras' guilt over losing his mother, and losing his faith in God. There's the trauma that Regan endures from an estranged father that ignores her birthday. (Howard was his name, Captain Howdy, anyone?).
I know some will say that it is dated, but I think of it as a film masterpiece that has to be considered as a Top 100 American film. If they remade the movie today, I highly doubt they could recapture the mood, darkness and despair of the original. It's just that good.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:09 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,870,121 times
I don't get scared of movies... but I'll just go ahead and put my favorite horror films.

Jenifer
The Shining
The Thing
Alien
Evil Dead 2
Nosferatu
Zombie
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Exorcist
High Tension

that pretty much covers it

edit:

oh yeah, and a few others i think weren't as good but still pretty awesome is Session 9, the one with David Caruso, The Grudge, and The Descent, which was posted already above.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:31 PM

45 posts, read 82,469 times
i love old horror movies so
existicist
the thing
devil of darkness
the skull

Old 10-15-2011, 07:58 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
I never thought the Exorcist or Phantasm were very good movies; both movies tried way too hard to scare and as a result became really corny and predictable over time. The Tall Man in Phantasm looks more like a crazed pedophile than a horror movie creature.

The Thing is a really scary movie. I will give you credit for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy S in PBC View Post
Exorcist
Evil Dead
Texas Chainsaw Masacre (1974)
The Ring
[REC] (Spain)
Phantasm
Ju-on (original Grudge)
28 Days Later
The Thing
Halloween
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Both The Exorcist and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre terrified me as a kid. But I watched The Exorcist again not that long ago and didn't find it all that compelling. A very over-rated movie for the most part. TTCM I haven't seen since I was a kid, because I'm really not into slasher movies. I want more out of a movie than simply bad guy(s) on a murderous rampage.

Horror movies really don't scare me. If I want to get scared, I watch the news.
I like Clive Barker's movie Rawhead Rex: the demon was actually somewhat scary.

The Exorcist is totally overrated and corny. There is absolutely nothing scary about a young girl being possessed by Satan. If you think about it; it's totally silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
The Exorcist
Phantasm
Rawhead Rex
Prince Of Darkness
Night of the Living Dead
Original Nightmare On Elm Street
Poltergeist
I love Alien and Aliens. Both are mysterious and suspenseful. The other Alien movies are good, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
2 that haven't been listed yet:

1. Jaws still holds up pretty well despite it's age.
2. Alien or Aliens were both excellent

28 days later was one of the most brutally intense movies I've seen in a long time.

Just watched the 1982 version of The Thing (kurt russell) on netflix instant watch and it was excellent.
I actually like The Shining a lot more than the overrated Exorcist movie. The Shining is slow, eerie, and foreboding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Jaws
The Thing
Poltergeist
The Shining.
Aliens I and II. The rest were absolute garbage.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:59 PM

The Skull is an awesome movie that rivals the exorcist in regard to demonic possession; a lot scarier than The Exorcist but without the fake puke and stupid little girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ees21 View Post
i love old horror movies so
existicist
the thing
devil of darkness
the skull

Old 10-15-2011, 08:07 PM

The Exorcist is totally overrated and corny. There is absolutely nothing scary about a girl who is possessed by Satan. It's totally unbelievable and it's just flat out not scary. After a while you just stop caring about the welfare of the annoying girl.

The Skull was made before and I believe it was a lot more mysterious and scary.

The Wickerman is also scarier than The Exorcist and more realistic. Cults are more likely to harm others than Satanic possession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
The Exorcist remains my favorite Horror film of all times. It's not that it was over-rated. This film was made in the early 70's and for it's time it was extremely intense. The special effects were all done without any CGI and were quite impressive! And because of that and the subject matter, even after seeing this movie at least 100+ times it still gives me chills.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:11 PM

My favorite horror movies are also some of the scariest:

Hellraiser 1-4

NightBreed

Candyman 1-2

Angelheart

Serpent and The Rainbow

Chronicle of The Raven
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies