Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 05:45 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,937,011 times

Advertisements

My wife and I saw the new Muppets Movie this weekend with our 30-year old son. He actually wanted to see it and felt it would be better to be seen in the company of his parents (perhaps others would view him as an unwilling participant in a real life parental flash-back), than by himself, or in a group with his 30-year old friends.

What I found most interesting was the demographics of the audience. Other than a handful of toddlers in tow by their parents, I don't remember seeing anyone in the theater younger than 30! Particularly absent were elementary age students.

Maybe it was the timing of the show - during the Michigan Ohio State game. Or perhaps it is reflected in the story line of the movie; that no one knows who the Muppets are any more. Truthfully, those in their early 30's were raised on Muppet characters in Sesame Street episodes, those of us older than that loved the animated evening shows.

Good movie with some real belly laughs - at least for us oldsters in the audience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 05:51 PM

285 posts, read 703,276 times
I saw this movie on a Sunday afternoon. There were a few elementary school-aged children in the audience and they seemed to love it. The theatre manager says the movie has been doing well.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:08 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
I am awaiting the release of the new Muppets film with great trepidation and apprehension. I am a huge fan of the Muppets and grew up with them and since Jim Henson dies I feel they have lost their touch . "Muppets Christmas Carol" and "Treasure Island" were fantastic but the later offerings were below par. The so called new "Muppets Show" was rubbish IMO. The Muppets are such a classic and showed Hanson's ( and his team) creative and wacky genius.

I was surprised when I found out that all of the Muppets Show episodes had been filmed in the UK though !

Miss Piggy shall forever remain the Porcine embodiment of female empowerment !

Old 11-28-2011, 03:37 AM

3 posts, read 2,818 times
I like The new muppets movie. Its really a good movie espacially for kids and even to everybody. I love to watch this movie and watch three times.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:27 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
The old muppets movies were awesome and i would love to see this one. I think the muppets appeals to adults now more than young ones.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:48 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,383,442 times
I saw it over the weekend and while I've been a Muppet fan since I was a kid, this movie didn't do it for me. It was just a bit too hokey and there were no standout songs for me.

Nevertheless, it was great to see the gang together again (Together again) but Muppets Take Manhattan still remains my favorite Muppet movie.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:22 AM

696 posts, read 1,301,691 times
I am 30+ years old and saw this movie with my 50+ friend, both of us loved it. All the muppets came to life in this movie with all their former glory - funny and entertaining throughout!! The human actors did pretty good too - Jason Segel and Amy Adams were perfect cast for the human roles!!

5 out of 5 beyond doubt !!

Old 11-28-2011, 07:27 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
My wife and I saw the new Muppets Movie this weekend with our 30-year old son. He actually wanted to see it and felt it would be better to be seen in the company of his parents (perhaps others would view him as an unwilling participant in a real life parental flash-back), than by himself, or in a group with his 30-year old friends.

What I found most interesting was the demographics of the audience. Other than a handful of toddlers in tow by their parents, I don't remember seeing anyone in the theater younger than 30! Particularly absent were elementary age students.

Maybe it was the timing of the show - during the Michigan Ohio State game. Or perhaps it is reflected in the story line of the movie; that no one knows who the Muppets are any more. Truthfully, those in their early 30's were raised on Muppet characters in Sesame Street episodes, those of us older than that loved the animated evening shows.

Good movie with some real belly laughs - at least for us oldsters in the audience.
My 16 and 12 year old wanted to ssee it. i kinda did too, but wasn't thrilled with the "Disneyess" of it. I knew there'd be musical numbers but I almost got a toothache from a couple of the numbers.
I love the Muppets but I could do without the new guy, his brother, and the icky girlfriend ...I wanted to slap her on more than one occasion.
So, if they make another one, I hope they drop them from the script

Old 11-28-2011, 07:38 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,383,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
My 16 and 12 year old wanted to ssee it. i kinda did too, but wasn't thrilled with the "Disneyess" of it. I knew there'd be musical numbers but I almost got a toothache from a couple of the numbers.
I love the Muppets but I could do without the new guy, his brother, and the icky girlfriend ...I wanted to slap her on more than one occasion.
So, if they make another one, I hope they drop them from the script
Same. The movie could have been better without these characters and I didn't see the point of Smallville and that whole back story.

I thought it would have been great to follow an everyday 30-something guy in 2011 who was brought back to a memory in his childhood that reminded him of the Muppets and then lead to the discovery of the Muppet offices and the rest. But Jason Segal and Amay Adams did nothing for the movie to me but distract and annoy.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:03 AM

696 posts, read 1,301,691 times
I am suprised that people did not like Jason Segel and Amy Adams duo. I understand since they are not muppets they can be a bit disctracting and not what everyone went to see the movie for, but I feel they played an important role in the plot. I also think both of their cheery, somewhat goofy personality (and looks) made them very suitable for what these roles were intended to be. That being said, I agree they that they were meant to be catalysts only, not intended to play a major role, and seeing too much of them could be annoying, but their roles were important nonetheless and they did it well imho !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies