Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 07:29 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times

Advertisements

So, you didn't have a problem with live toys that walk and talk, cars that have a mind and personality of their own able to move in a way a car never could in reality, bugs all getting along without trying to eat each other in a night club, a gun slinging lizard, a family of super heroes, a magic lamp with a wish granting genie inside, a lion that won't eat a wart hog and meercat, a pumpkin being turned into a horse drawn carriage, an evil woman who turns into a dragon, a bed that flies through the sky with a turn of a post knob, jumping into a chalk drawing, laughing causing you to float to the ceiling, a human that turns into a monster and back to human after falling in love, and last but not least; an ogre, talking donkey, talking cat wearing boots, living puppet with a nose that grows when he lies, and a living gingerbread man. And you're complaining about a rat that cooks and a house that floats through the air with balloons? Suspend your disbelief when watching an animated film or "FANTASY" <keyword> film. Do you do this with children's or fantasy novels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 08:40 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I didn't care for either movie, but it wasn't because they were fantasies. I was disappointed because they weren't as well-written as other movies of their ilk.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:40 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
I must be a moron because not only did I love both "Up" and Ratatouille" but they would be on my list of favourite films of the last few years.

I simply cannot fathom why someone who is unable to find any magic and suspend disbelief in the first place would watch either of those masterpieces. I am a big fan of Indie and Foreign films because they tend to veer more towards realism than mainstream Hollywood films do on the whole but when I go and see an animated feature film I am able to simply let the magic take me away to a different realm.

Let's face it, a lot of litterature classic or contemporary is full of bizarre plots and twists, and I would hardly call lovers of Dante's Divine Comedy, Shakespeare or Maupassant idiots simply because one needs a little imagination and a little willingness to let go to enjoy it. The same applies to a large majority of films ever made ( including some of the best ones), some of the Art's greatest masterpieces and treasures also stretching our human experience into different universes.

To me both "Up" and "Ratatouille" were absolute gems and treasures as well as pure Art. I don't think there are any stills taken from any frames of the film I would not have on my walls. They were both charming, quirky , touching and ravishing movies, made with great skill and talent. Beautiful and affecting.

If thinking this makes me a moron then I am proud to call myself one. Most of us need a little magic, we need to find a child like wonder and awe not only at what is but what could be in our wildest dreams. As much as I love gritty realism in films , now and then a little gem comes along which reminds you what it is to be human, to dream and forget the "real" world, the world of facts, of science and the laws of nature and physics.

I actually pity people who cannot appreciate a little sillines , a little magic and a little leap of faith when it comes to animation. What exactly did the OP expect from either of those two wonderful films, a treatise on the the laws of gravity and biological dissection of rodent physiology in relation to "controling" a human body ?

I always say there are two types of people. Those who "get" "The Muppets" and those who don't. A Finnish friend of mine and his wife could never understand my love for these wacky characters. Apparently according to them "They are so silly !".

No. Really ?!?! "The Muppets" are silly ?!?!?! Well , blow me over, who would have thunk it... If "The Muppets" were serious then it would sort of miss the point of it all and I might as well be watching the News on TV.

There must be some people who literally cannot appreciate any form of Art for the license it takes with a lot of scientific facts and reasonable established "truths". I don't believe in Vampires, Ghosts or Monsters but I still love "Beowulf", "Dracula" and " The Ghost of Canterbury".

A little sprinking of occasional Fairy Dust is no bad thing for the soul. It can be as enriching as the most serious of novels and certainly a lot more joyful.

I do not believe Moles, Badgers , Water-Rats and Toads wear waistcoats and ride in motor cars before having lavish picnics on the river Thames and yet "Wind in the Willows" is one of my very favourite books ever. I do not believe in Harpies, Enchantresses and Sea Monsters but Homer's Odyssey is still one of my classics "go to" books....

Old 01-03-2012, 04:14 PM

433 posts, read 1,370,038 times
Okay, sorry. Maybe I wasn't exactly clear. To the guy who was making references to Toy Story, Cinderella, Aladdin, Beauty & The Beast, etc., I didn't have a problem with those because they went naturally with the tone and feel with the film. Talking, living toys is natural because...well the film is called Toy Story. There's a Genie inside the lamp, no problem since there was already magical stuff going on in the movie, there was magic going on in the introduction in Beauty and the Beast when the narrator explained how the guy became a Beast and there was talking pots,cups,furniture etc. so I had no problem at the end with him turning back into human.

Understand what I'm saying? Ratatouille just threw it in there that the rat was able to control that kid. I didn't have a problem with the rat talking. Up was just, I don't know, didn't like it. Too weird for my taste.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:55 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
And to OP... you seem unable to let loose and suspend disbelief for a movie.

And to my disbelief, you manage to drop the phrase "retards" in a couple times...

Old 01-04-2012, 12:07 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
Okay, sorry. Maybe I wasn't exactly clear. To the guy who was making references to Toy Story, Cinderella, Aladdin, Beauty & The Beast, etc., I didn't have a problem with those because they went naturally with the tone and feel with the film. Talking, living toys is natural because...well the film is called Toy Story. There's a Genie inside the lamp, no problem since there was already magical stuff going on in the movie, there was magic going on in the introduction in Beauty and the Beast when the narrator explained how the guy became a Beast and there was talking pots,cups,furniture etc. so I had no problem at the end with him turning back into human.

Understand what I'm saying? Ratatouille just threw it in there that the rat was able to control that kid. I didn't have a problem with the rat talking. Up was just, I don't know, didn't like it. Too weird for my taste.

These movies are not geared for us adults. They are for the kids. How do you keep kids under the age of 10 interested for 90 minutes without making the movie silly? Geeze, it's a movie. Get over it. I cried in the beginning of Up when his wife died. I cried when they thought he was a crotchedy old man. It's about sending a message to kids. Sometimes you have to be creative and get down to a kid's level so they can understand the message and be entertained at the same time. How come Alvin and the Chipmunks isn't on your list of "hates"? Really? Woodland creatures that live with a human and sing songs and make gold records?

And you must not be a fan of The Muppets either. The rats worked in the diner in The Muppets Take Manhattan. What was Henson thinking??

Old 01-04-2012, 12:10 PM

696 posts, read 1,301,691 times
OP - you need to take a chill pill, just because you did not like a movie does not make it bad or those who loved it "retards". Most of these movies, whether you liked them or not, are created by geniuses who are able to flawlessly simulate human-like impressions/feelings in mere animals or inanimate objects to a degree that makes us connect with them at a deeper level than anyone would have ever imagined, that's why many of these Pixar/Disney movies get various awards, publicity etc. Next time don't go around bashing a movie or a genre just because you did not get it!

I am an aspiring cook (by hobby) btw and I loved Ratatouille, the way in which they were able to create the impressions of a natural-born chef in a rat was very cute and very motivational, as the movie's original theme says - just about anyone can cook if they really put their minds to it!! You did not like it? Fine, move on, no need to start a revolution or start calling names!!

Get a life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies