Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 12:00 PM

433 posts, read 1,370,477 times

Advertisements

Alright, maybe I shouldn't be judging the majority of modern movies after seeing 2 animated films with made-up nonsense that they throw in for whatever reason. The 2 movies I'm talking about are Ratatouille and Up.

I watched Ratatouille a few years ago. I found it abit ridiculous that they decided to make the rat be able to control the chef guy by pulling on his hair. Fine. Whatever. I'll take it. Let me just enjoy the rest of the movie

Then, yesterday, I decided to watch the film Up. This movie is beyond ridiculous and silly. Was it made by retards or for retards, or both? Flying, travelling house going up to Paradise Falls, with so much struggle to keep the house with them, and there seems to be no struggle at all to pull the heavy house. Fine, whatever...

I understand these movies are made for kids. And my complaint goes more for Up than Ratatouille. What exactly are adults loving about this movie that it gets named "#1 Animated Film of the Year" with tons of critics loving and praising it. Does the message actually overshadow the high stupidity to them?

Does making an animated film seriously give the creators the excuse to make up whatever they want and throw it in there? Okay, here's one I just made up: A young boy with the power to turn into a piece of meatloaf accidentally gets flushed down the toilet and he must travel through the sewers to get back to his family and get the potion to not turn into meatloaf anymore! Throw in messages about courage and never giving up and you've got a blockbuster hit!

Anyways, both these films were made by Pixar. I guess I just find that they're not as good as they used to be. Or are the critics all biased and are paid to write the good reviews by the company that made them or soemthing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 12:24 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,622,608 times
So what is your idea of a movie that is not ridiculous (sp?)?

Old 12-29-2011, 05:35 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
"Does making an animated film seriously give the creators the excuse to make up whatever they want and throw it in there? Okay, here's one I just made up: A young boy with the power to turn into a piece of meatloaf accidentally gets flushed down the toilet and he must travel through the sewers to get back to his family and get the potion to not turn into meatloaf anymore! Throw in messages about courage and never giving up and you've got a blockbuster hit!"

It's been done. Just a variation on "Finding Nemo"

Animated movies have ever been so. TV is showing a tiny clip of "Bambi", in relation to the status it now has. In it, Bambi smiles happily because it has a butterfly up its ---.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:46 PM

668 posts, read 994,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
Does making an animated film seriously give the creators the excuse to make up whatever they want and throw it in there?
Yes.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:57 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,800 times
Quote:
Alright, maybe I shouldn't be judging the majority of modern movies after seeing 2 animated films with made-up nonsense that they throw in for whatever reason. The 2 movies I'm talking about are Ratatouille and Up.

I watched Ratatouille a few years ago. I found it abit ridiculous that they decided to make the rat be able to control the chef guy by pulling on his hair. Fine. Whatever. I'll take it. Let me just enjoy the rest of the movie

Then, yesterday, I decided to watch the film Up. This movie is beyond ridiculous and silly. Was it made by retards or for retards, or both? Flying, travelling house going up to Paradise Falls, with so much struggle to keep the house with them, and there seems to be no struggle at all to pull the heavy house. Fine, whatever...

I understand these movies are made for kids. And my complaint goes more for Up than Ratatouille. What exactly are adults loving about this movie that it gets named "#1 Animated Film of the Year" with tons of critics loving and praising it. Does the message actually overshadow the high stupidity to them?

Does making an animated film seriously give the creators the excuse to make up whatever they want and throw it in there? Okay, here's one I just made up: A young boy with the power to turn into a piece of meatloaf accidentally gets flushed down the toilet and he must travel through the sewers to get back to his family and get the potion to not turn into meatloaf anymore! Throw in messages about courage and never giving up and you've got a blockbuster hit!

Anyways, both these films were made by Pixar. I guess I just find that they're not as good as they used to be. Or are the critics all biased and are paid to write the good reviews by the company that made them or soemthing?
I've quite honestly never heard such harsh criticisms of these two wonderful movies. I don't know anyone who didn't cry after seeing UP. And Ratatouille is endearing and charmingly witty.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:10 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
Quote:

Are you really upset about the realism level of animated Pixar films?

I just saw this flick Dumbo---and it was completely unbelievable! They had talking animals, a train engine with it's own personality, and the lead character was an elephant who learns to fly, who's best friend was an effin' mouse for chrissakes! Who are the geniuses that come up with this stuff? Never would happen in real life--I found the plot completely ludicrous, who is this made for, kids or something?

Old 12-31-2011, 05:38 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,088,745 times
The problem is not with the people who make these types of movies, it is with the few people who cannot suspend disbelief for an hour or two to be entertained by a good story. They are animated because they couldn't do some of those things in real life. Makes it easier to accept that it couldn't be done in real life.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:29 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,746,461 times
I'm reminded of one of my favorite animated films, The Secret of NIMH. If you haven't seen it, it involves a widow mouse (Mrs. Brisby) whose husband is killed trying to feed sleeping powder to a cat, rats who have not only learned how to talk, but are also engineering geniuses, and one rat named Nicodemus who, apparently, is actually magical. Mrs. Brizby is given an amulet by Nicodemus that does magical things when the person...er...mouse wearing it...eh screw it. The point is, the whole thing's ridiculous, but I still like it.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:41 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
The problem is not with the people who make these types of movies, it is with the few people who cannot suspend disbelief for an hour or two to be entertained by a good story. They are animated because they couldn't do some of those things in real life. Makes it easier to accept that it couldn't be done in real life.
I still think the whole Balloons making the house float was dumb in Up. I respect the movie for the story behind it, but overall that movie was dull, annoying and lame. I fell asleep the first time trying to watch.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:12 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,423,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
I've quite honestly never heard such harsh criticisms of these two wonderful movies. I don't know anyone who didn't cry after seeing UP. And Ratatouille is endearing and charmingly witty.
Agreed. Saw both of these movies and enjoyed them both...especially Ratatouille. What will "they" criticize next? Monsters, Inc.? Toy Story?

Last edited by LibraGirl123; 01-02-2012 at 07:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies