Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 12:03 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,396,439 times

Advertisements

ELEGY. . .

Ben Kingsley plays the role of a college professor whom thru wit, charm, and intelligence seduces a pre-grad student played by Penelope Cruz. The film is filled with several outstanding twists and turns (some fairly obvious) which makes the movie unique in it's own way.

The dialogue in the opening scene is one of my favourite given that it brings to the fore - and challenges - the pagan/Christian principles of the USA's pilgrims.

Also, the Eric Satie background instrumental music goes quite well with the overall grayish mood and indoors setting of the movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 02:02 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,537 times
My #1 favorite film of ALL time is still The Exorcist for so many reasons. In order for me to love a movie it has to affect me deeply and have a long lasting impact on me. It will always be my favorite movie no matter how many excellent films follow.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:25 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,628 times
Leap Year (at least it's one of my all time favorites). I liked it better every time I saw it. I love the scene after they kiss at the dining table and he almost misses his glass.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:26 AM

10,032 posts, read 9,509,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
The Godfather......it was to me, the very essence of movie making It has everything that I love in a great movie....drama, violence, romance, and mystery. The actors in this movie were some of the best and my favorites of all time. In fact, I would put GF1 and GF2 as my all time favorite movie and sequel of all time....
I agree. Add a director and writers/screenplay by Coppola and Puzo.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:26 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times
Hard to pick just one
A Clockwork Orange by Stanley Kubrick

Love it or hate it, we would have to agree that it is one of the most imaginative and "different" films ever made.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:58 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Chariots of Fire.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:31 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
Every time they're on TV I watch:
North by Northwest
Close Encounters
All About Eve

and my favorite totally goofy movie:

The Blues Brothers

Old 01-28-2013, 07:37 PM

148 posts, read 188,204 times
either Live and Let Die or Spy Game

Old 01-30-2013, 07:46 PM

Location: The back alleys of Hong Kong and sometimes Brussels, Belgium
242 posts, read 268,646 times
This has got to be my all time favorite movie...Bound By Honor: Blood In Blood Out

It's one of those epic films with plenty of talented actors, a great story line, memorable lines, humor, action, drama, great acting, and all of the qualities you would look for in a great movie. I don't know why this movie wasn't nominated for anything.

This is a gangster type of film with 3 interchanging storylines. The storylines are focused on 3 main characters, 2 of which are step-brothers and one is thier cousin. They are all connected by blood and by their neighborhood gang. It begins as they grow up in the gangland enviroment on the streets of L.A. in the 70's, and the story then splits into 3 different directions following each of these character's paths as they go different directions in life, but eventually end up finding each other later in life again. The things these character's go through, and overcome is what makes this film the best to me. Plus I can relate to this film on a personal level growing up in the same kind of enviroment as a younger man myself.

Blood In Blood Out Part 5 - YouTube

Old 01-30-2013, 09:59 PM

20 posts, read 54,595 times
I know it's sad but I would have to say Muppey Christmas Carol. I watch it on and off all year. But I have so many others that come close like Tremors, Serenty... So many more. I think it just depends on what mood and season in life I'm in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies