Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 08:45 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,027,559 times

Advertisements

Just noticed there was no discussion about the movie "The Adventures of Tintin" directed by Spielberg. Did anyone see it? Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 02:33 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,758 times
I did and saw it in 3D. I thought it was well done. Graphically amazing. 3D some of the best I have seen since the original (Avatar). Characters/Story kept me engaged.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:29 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,268,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
I did and saw it in 3D. I thought it was well done. Graphically amazing. 3D some of the best I have seen since the original (Avatar). Characters/Story kept me engaged.
Well said!

The Adventures of Tin Tin was very well made in my opinion as well! I took our son who had never heard of Tin Tin prior to the show and he really enjoyed it as well. We also watched it in 3D.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:50 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,027,559 times
I saw it on the first day, and liked it pretty well. Just thought there was a bit too much action. Unfortunately there were only 5 people including myself in the theater.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:59 PM

696 posts, read 1,301,836 times
I plan to see it sometime this week/weekend. I grew up reading the comics, Tintin comics are very popular worldwide outside USA, translated and available in several different European, Asian, Arabic, Indian (to name a few) languages. I would think this movie would make very good money internationally also. I have all the comics in my collection, thanks to Amazon !!!

Old 04-05-2012, 09:05 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Pirates of the Caribbean meet Indiana Jones meet Stan and Ollie meet ...

Derivative Hollywood "product"

Old 04-06-2012, 08:43 AM

Fairly ignorant comment, the entire storyline was based accurately on the children's comic series that started sometime before 1930's... long before any of the movies you mentioned came to be written/released, so whatever it is, it is not a "Hollywood" product. Yes it may seem "similar" in theme, but that's because all of them are "adventure" movies involving a male hero exploring unknown territories and fighting bad guys, but that's where the similarities end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Pirates of the Caribbean meet Indiana Jones meet Stan and Ollie meet ...

Derivative Hollywood "product"

Old 04-06-2012, 05:40 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyusa View Post
Fairly ignorant comment, the entire storyline was based accurately on the children's comic series that started sometime before 1930's... long before any of the movies you mentioned came to be written/released, so whatever it is, it is not a "Hollywood" product. Yes it may seem "similar" in theme, but that's because all of them are "adventure" movies involving a male hero exploring unknown territories and fighting bad guys, but that's where the similarities end.
meh. Indiana Jones was an intentional pastiche of previous movie characters with the intent of the original IJ movie being a reprise of adventure movies. That is where some of the similarities begin... Laurel and Hardy began making features around the 1930s but were already famous, especially to anyone connected with the arts. Tintin was first introduced in 1929. Bowler hats. Comic relief. Chrerubic faces. Coinkydense? I tink not. The whole Doug Fairbanks on speed swinging from the yardarms only came about in the current Pirates and 3-D craze. I never saw any pre-1960 comic do anything even remotely similar. And what does Hollywood have against France and Belgium anyway? Hugo AND tintin both avoid any French accent.

It was aimed at the kid market. Any nod to history or adults was passing at best. I stand by my statement. Hollywood "product." Expensive, and with a lot of gee-gaws yes, but product nonetheless.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:42 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,491,104 times
I had to get used to seeing Tintin with actual eyes instead of little black dots

Old 04-07-2012, 07:38 PM

haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
I had to get used to seeing Tintin with actual eyes instead of little black dots
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies