Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 07:54 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,681,265 times

Advertisements

Heh i was just reading that. I was like, oh i posted here twice! I think ill go with almost sucked but not too sucky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 06:54 PM

7,121 posts, read 5,231,253 times
The trailer was the first movie in a very long time that gave me goosebumps! It looked so amazing that I wished that I could go to the theater to see it. Sadly, I have limited mobility and am unable to go. I don't know how much a ticket would be now, but, if I could have gone and afforded it, I certainly would have seen it several times in the theater!

Since it premiered on the movie cable channel (either Encore or Starz, as they're the only ones I have), I've managed to watch it 10 times so far. I plan to find a videotape with movies I can sacrifice so that I can tape it.

My parents taught me to read when I was 4 years old. When I was about 5-6 years old, my father took me to the science fiction/fantasy section of the library (which was @30 miles away from us over the old two-lane highways) and introduced me to Edgar Rice Burroughs, Robert Heinlein, Isaac Asimov and others. I read all of the John Carter, Tarzan and Pellucidar novels, probably every ERB novel they had. Mom and Dad would let me check out extra books on their cards, so I was able to immerse myself in the experience.

When I saw that trailer, I was stunned! And, the film really blew me away, as the saying goes, even though they didn't do a perfect match. I could forgive that because they gave us such an epic film, as epic as "Dune" should have been. As much as I love "Star Wars", which I've been a fan of since the first film, "John Carter" feels BIGGER, grand, and awe-inspiring. If it looks like that on a TV screen, it must have been absolutely breathtaking in the theater.

Then, I heard these idiotic people babbling about, "Who's John Carter?" "This is just a ripoff!" Well, I am not a violent person, but I wanted to slap them upside their thick heads for being so stupid! I wanted to yell at them: "This is where most of the inspiration is from for all your sci fi classics of today! Ye idjits!" Sadly, Disney chickened out of "John Carter of Mars" because of "Mars Needs Moms" being a bomb (understandably). Unfortunately, they didn't go with an alternate title, perhaps "Barsoom"; that's a name that has heft to it and could stir curiosity. I still cannot get over people not knowing John Carter! For crying out loud people, you know Tarzan, don't you?! Many of you grew up with the awful Pellucidar movies! *sigh*

I intend to be a campaigner for this film, as I am with "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow". I was born the year science fiction made its big comeback in the Fifties, and I grew up with sci fi/fantasy in the theaters and at drive-ins. "John Carter" is brilliant! Open your eyes, and escape into ERB's universe.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:42 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
I think the primary reason for the underwhelming response to the movie John Carter is that most Americans drew a blank when they heard the name. Unlike "Tarzan", "John Carter" has been forgotten by almost everyone except fans of Edgar Rice Burroughs and science fiction. This is because "Tarzan" caught the public's imagination through numerous books, comics, movies, and TV programs, while "John Carter" got little of that treatment.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:20 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,681,265 times
Tarzan movie was actually good though. John carter movie was not

Old 02-06-2013, 05:13 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,726,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystMoonstruck View Post
The trailer was the first movie in a very long time that gave me goosebumps! It looked so amazing that I wished that I could go to the theater to see it. Sadly, I have limited mobility and am unable to go. I don't know how much a ticket would be now, but, if I could have gone and afforded it, I certainly would have seen it several times in the theater!

Since it premiered on the movie cable channel (either Encore or Starz, as they're the only ones I have), I've managed to watch it 10 times so far. I plan to find a videotape with movies I can sacrifice so that I can tape it.

My parents taught me to read when I was 4 years old. When I was about 5-6 years old, my father took me to the science fiction/fantasy section of the library (which was @30 miles away from us over the old two-lane highways) and introduced me to Edgar Rice Burroughs, Robert Heinlein, Isaac Asimov and others. I read all of the John Carter, Tarzan and Pellucidar novels, probably every ERB novel they had. Mom and Dad would let me check out extra books on their cards, so I was able to immerse myself in the experience.

When I saw that trailer, I was stunned! And, the film really blew me away, as the saying goes, even though they didn't do a perfect match. I could forgive that because they gave us such an epic film, as epic as "Dune" should have been. As much as I love "Star Wars", which I've been a fan of since the first film, "John Carter" feels BIGGER, grand, and awe-inspiring. If it looks like that on a TV screen, it must have been absolutely breathtaking in the theater.

Then, I heard these idiotic people babbling about, "Who's John Carter?" "This is just a ripoff!" Well, I am not a violent person, but I wanted to slap them upside their thick heads for being so stupid! I wanted to yell at them: "This is where most of the inspiration is from for all your sci fi classics of today! Ye idjits!" Sadly, Disney chickened out of "John Carter of Mars" because of "Mars Needs Moms" being a bomb (understandably). Unfortunately, they didn't go with an alternate title, perhaps "Barsoom"; that's a name that has heft to it and could stir curiosity. I still cannot get over people not knowing John Carter! For crying out loud people, you know Tarzan, don't you?! Many of you grew up with the awful Pellucidar movies! *sigh*

I intend to be a campaigner for this film, as I am with "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow". I was born the year science fiction made its big comeback in the Fifties, and I grew up with sci fi/fantasy in the theaters and at drive-ins. "John Carter" is brilliant! Open your eyes, and escape into ERB's universe.
George Lucas claimed that he got part of his Star Wars ideas from John Carter. Burroughs needs to be given a lot of credit for his insights, considering that space travel was a pretty remote pssibility in his day and age.
I was a huge Sci-fi tweener in the 50's. Favs include:

This Island Earth
War of the Worlds
Godzilla
The Day the Earth Stood Still
The Blob
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
And the Masterpiece of all of them = Forbidden Planet

Last edited by Pawporri; 02-06-2013 at 05:24 PM..

Old 02-17-2013, 08:57 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
I saw the movie this morning on one of the movie channels. It wasn't that bad actually. Sort of enjoyed it. A very different kind of movie to say the least. However once was enough . It's not something I'd take the time to watch again.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:30 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
Saw it some time ago, it was fun. I only hope there's red Martian women that are as hot as that Princess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies