Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 05:45 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times

Advertisements

I just got into this, previously my cable package Movies On Demand and Netflix mailers.
So I guess I assumed that most every that was available by mail would be available for streaming. Ok so not so much, a lot of things I was looking forward to streaming are not available.
But the odd thing is how some things are available some places but not others.
Like there is this free Crackle - they have some movies and tv shows for free but there is advertising. They have Reign on Me. But Netflix only has it for mailing.
Netflix doesn't have Northern Exposure for streaming but you can watch it online at some place called ovguide
Huluplus, you can't browse before joining, I have no idea what Amazon has to offer than Netflix doesn't...
Hunt and peck, join multiple services which have 90% of the same stuff
D*mn they are making a really cool thing hard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 06:02 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
How are you playing Netflix, Hulu, Crackle or other streaming movie? Have you taken a look at PlayOn... wide world of streaming... and more. There's a lot going on out there, just takes some investigation. And some practice.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of demand for Northern Exposure.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:30 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,859,948 times
What baffles me about Netflix is a movie will be available for streaming one day and the next it won't. I'm not sure why but it's kinda annoying when I want to go back and watch one of my favorite movies. It's still a small complaint considering how massive the library they do have available for streaming.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:50 PM

That would be a principle reason I gave up on Netflix. It was more like they were offering movies they wanted me to see, outside of which I didn't get to make a lot of choices. And even Hulu Plus didn't have a lot of movies I cared about, even with the Criterion selection. And with Hulu Plus I could watch TV programming within a few days of its broadcast but previous seasons might not be available.

At PlayOn, I can get most any TV program from the last several years at any time. And several options for movies to stream. My real advantage is rather than tune in some TV program weekly, I can forget about it for a few weeks then watch several in a row. Rather than a 40 minute program broken up with 5 minute commercials, it's like watching a 3 or 4 hour movie.

Caveat: PlayOn is 20 bucks a year after the first year @ 40 bucks. Or you can try it for 5 bucks a month for while.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:44 PM

Northern Exposure was very popular in its time and still gets mentioned on the TV boards in threads.
You like Playon
Someone else will promote Hulu
I like having choices but am irritated by the constantly moving tgt which just seems designed to rip me off.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:13 PM

I watched Northern Exposure back... whenever that was. I included a link in my response to IceFilms which has listed the episodes available for you to view.

I had a subscription to Hulu but couldn't find films I wanted to see. Then I found PlayOn. PlayOn allows me to watch any current, as well as old, TV episode of most any program ever made, including foreign programming and films. That's for my 20 bucks a year. I can't get basic cable for twenty bucks a month.

I learned computers during the PC versus Mac days, when you could add on and manipulate your PC to make it powerful. All you could do with a Mac was spend thousands of bucks to do what they wanted you to do. So I don't find the moving target of third party programming as trying to rip me off. It's more a challenge to push the system to broader horizons.

Anyway, if you want to pursue alternatives and need some help then drop me a message. I'll help where I can.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:01 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
I'm glad you posted this. I've been tempted to subscribe to NetFlix, but if the only things they stream is all the same old crap, I won't go near it.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:47 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times
This isnt hard to figure out. In order for a service to be able to stream a movie or show, they have to purchase the rights from the studio or company that owns it. The cost to come to an agreement with these companies to stream their libraries are tens of millions of dollars on top of a lot of companies not wanting their stuff to be available everywhere because then no one will purchase them.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:12 PM

At first I was annoyed now I'm disappointed.
Sex and the City TV episodes are not available for streaming (though Californication and Tudors are, too bad I'm not interested)
The United States of Tara is not available for streaming
Northern Exposure is not available for streaming
Bridget Jones Diary is not available for streaming

Seems like most of my favorites aren't available for streaming.

And I can't even see what Hulu/Amazon etc. have available without actually joining.

I'd love for everything to be available on one big On Demand system. Pay 50 cents everytime you want to watch something.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:53 PM

Gisela, in my first response to you I asked what you use to stream Netflix and also offered a solution to your dilemma.

From your last post, I have just found, via PlayOn's TVLinks scripts...
United States of Tara - Season 01, 02, 03, Bryce Will Play being the most recent.
Sex and the City - Seasons 01 - 06
Northern Exposure - Seasons 01 - 06
Bridget Jone's Diary and BJD 02

Check out the link I provided in post #2. It takes a few bucks, a little time and a bit of practice. But when the dust settles, you won't need your cable TV for on demand, or much of anything else. Just Internet and a bit of wit will see you through.

Actaully, you don't even need PlayOn. You can just go to http://www.tv-links.eu/ and watch directly on your PC.

For the PlayOn subscription I paid the forty bucks. You can get started for five to try it out. I'll be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Last edited by Willsson; 05-24-2011 at 04:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies