Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 10:22 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,224,716 times

Advertisements

Post #4 nailed it pretty well, with Casablanca my personal favorite. Another with sharp dialogue is The Sting, a film that I never tire of, in fact, it airs tonight on TCM, and may catch it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 12:08 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
I like movies with great dialogue. Words that snap, crackle and pop. They just don't make movies like this any more. Here are a few of my favorites. Please add other movies with great dialogue.

Glengarry Glen Ross
Hospital
Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe?
The Lion in Winter
Sexy Beast
Ben kingsley, Esp when he begins freaking out when his former associate does not want to do another job.

Some of my picks:

The Big Lebowski

Fear and Loathing in las vegas
No country for old men
Commando (Arnold is hilarious)

Old 12-04-2012, 12:34 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,516,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Ben kingsley, Esp when he begins freaking out when his former associate does not want to do another job.

Some of my picks:

The Big Lebowski

Fear and Loathing in las vegas
No country for old men
Commando (Arnold is hilarious) <-------
I ought to make a thread about ONE LINERS, the 80s Action Films could dominate. Predator was my very favorite. Commando was fabulous and in Sexy Beast, Ben Kingsley was so terrifying that I watched the movie from behind the couch.

"Stick Around" -Dutch

"We're all going to die" -Billy

"Couldn't you find anything bigger?" -Pancho to Mac after the wild pig incident

"Pay back time" -Baine

"Turn around" -Mac to Dillon before he knifes the scorpion HELL YES!

"That ain't no way for no soldier to die" -Mac

"I'm going to have me some fun tonight" -Mac

"Come to Painless -Baine

"I ain't got time to bleed" -Bain

"Do you have time to duck?" -Pancho

"If it bleeds, we can kill it" -Dutch

Old 12-04-2012, 12:45 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
I ought to make a thread about ONE LINERS, the 80s Action Films could dominate. Predator was my very favorite. Commando was fabulous and in Sexy Beast, Ben Kingsley was so terrifying that I watched the movie from behind the couch.

"Stick Around" -Dutch

"We're all going to die" -Billy

"Couldn't you find anything bigger?" -Pancho to Mac after the wild pig incident

"Pay back time" -Baine

"Turn around" -Mac to Dillon before he knifes the scorpion HELL YES!

"That ain't no way for no soldier to die" -Mac

"I'm going to have me some fun tonight" -Mac

"Come to Painless -Baine

"I ain't got time to bleed" -Bain

"Do you have time to duck?" -Pancho

"If it bleeds, we can kill it" -Dutch
They sure can!

While not a one-liner, Van Damme's dialogue in Kickboxer deserves a mention-Esp the bar dancing scene, And the beginning where he is describing the bad guy kicking the concrete pillar to his brother before the fight. For added laughs, The face he makes after the doctor tells him his brother is paralyzed.

Nothing against JCVD, I am long time fan and he got better over the years acting wise.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:03 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Sexy Beast: That is a good movie, and Ben Kingsley's performance was rightly praised. But Ian McShane stole every scene he was in.

The Sting: That's a good movie, but I've never seen its greatness. I watched it again recently. It was okay. Good but not great.

Predator: Do you realize that if we could get Carl Weathers elected, that movie would have more elected government officials than any other movie in history? Ahnuld became governor of California, Jesse Ventura governor of Minnesota, and Sonny Landham has run (albeit unsuccessfully) for Congress and for governor of Kentucky.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:08 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,491,104 times
"The Odd Couple" but really anything from Billy Wilder

Old 12-04-2012, 03:54 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Silent Movie.

If you like good dialog, break away from movies and rent the Tim Hutton "Nero Wolfe" series. It has some of the most acerbic wonderful dialog I've ever heard.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Sexy Beast: That is a good movie, and Ben Kingsley's performance was rightly praised. But Ian McShane stole every scene he was in.
It is scary to think that there was a character in that movie more evil than Don Logan, but Teddy Bass certainly was. That smile he gave while Gal was trying to eat his breakfast was way beyond chilling.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
"The Odd Couple" but really anything from Billy Wilder
Matthau and Lemmon were fantastic, I forgot about this gem. Have you seen The Taking of Pelham 123?

The original version, of course.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:43 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,491,104 times
of course, there's no other version for me but yeah, your'e right, Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon were fantastic together

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies