Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2013, 01:50 AM

349 posts, read 260,753 times

Advertisements

I just returned from watching a fun Saturday afternoon matinee action film (The Last Stand). One of the trailers was The Lone Ranger. It began mysteriously enough, but then I figured out the Native American role of Tonto was being played by.... Johnny Depp.

Instantly, my wonder, excitement, and great expectations for this movie sank into a pit of slime-filled horror.

I did not watch the recent film version of Dark Shadows because I could easily see that Tim Burton/Johnny Depp took a great big poo-poo all over something that was sacred to me (the TV original series).

It looks like the same will occur with The Lone Ranger.

I really enjoyed Depp's early career. Films like Nick of Time, Donnie Brasco, The Ninth Gate, and even Fear and Loahing in Las Vegas.

Then, along came the Pirates of the Caribbean series, which was initially entertaining, but has become a routine Hollywood formula.

It seems Depp has entered into a comfort zone that includes Tim Burton, Helena Bonham Carter, Pirates, and lots of make-up.

So, what's eating at this actor's original quest to play "outside the norm" characters and his avant garde flair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 10:21 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,880,620 times
It's because he's paid dump trucks full of ten thousand dollar bills that's why.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:38 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
I've only seen the first trailer, but it looks horrible. I smell another John Carteresque flop on the horizon.

For a character like the Lone Ranger, you either need to play it totally straight, or go for total camp. This movie looks like they tried to mix the two.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:03 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,684,170 times
I actually admire him for that, and for not falling into the easy rut of being the handsome lead in conventional romantic comedies.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:44 PM

349 posts, read 260,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I actually admire him for that, and for not falling into the easy rut of being the handsome lead in conventional romantic comedies.
Hogwash. Depp has the caliber to act among the most prolific roles available. My opinion is that he is hiding behind make-up and loony-toones, when he should act, as he did in his earlier days.

JMHO.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:46 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
It's hardly Depp's fault that the studios want to make these kinds of movies. A bad movie (or a good movie for that matter) is rarely the fault of the actors. It has a lot more to do with the producers, director, and writer.

Depp could go do low budget art films, but no one goes to see those. And it's hard to ignore the big dump trucks full of money.

That's exactly how Robert Downey Jr. talked Gwyneth Paltrow into doing IRON MAN. She'd initially balked, preferring to do the artistic dramas that critics love but audiences ignore. Downey told her, "Those movies were great. But wouldn't you like to be in a movie that people actually go see?"

Old 02-04-2013, 02:55 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,141,152 times
He has for years mad films playing the artsy or eccentric lead characters and does it well. He does have a certain charisma for these parts. i especially liked him in fear and loathing in Las Vegas. The scene with him and Benecio del toro during the hotel room scene whith the bad acid trip is one for the ages.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:00 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,120,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WacoBill View Post
Hogwash. Depp has the caliber to act among the most prolific roles available. My opinion is that he is hiding behind make-up and loony-toones, when he should act, as he did in his earlier days.

JMHO.
Why can't he pick roles that he is interested in, that are challenging...
What recent role do you think he should/could have done?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies