Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 06:14 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times

Advertisements

Some of my favorites... warning, a few of them might not fit 100% into the sci-fi category.

The Time Machine (both the original and newer version)
Total Recall
Blade Runner
The Stand
Stargate
Terminator trilogy
The Running Man
The 5th Element
Independence Day
Men in Black

I also love the TV shows Quantum Leap and Sliders, which are both available on DVD now.

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-07-2007 at 06:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 11:14 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,029,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
The Day of the Triffids
The British remade (1981, I think) that into a series. Better than the original from the aspect that the Triffids are scarier - there is some debate about their intelligence - and it delves into a wider aspect of what the world would be like with 99.99% of the population stricken into blindness. I also watched it thinking "damn, the people who made '28 Days Later' stole a lot of ideas from this series!"

Old 12-08-2007, 10:41 PM

965 posts, read 4,498,840 times
I, too, am a fan of Sci-Fi/Horror movies, but not slasher movies. I got hooked back in 1961 when there were flying saucer movies and movies about mutations caused by nuclear testing. I've seen soooooooo many, the titles are swimming around in my head. You've gotten some good suggestions already. I will add my $0.02 worth:

The Day the Earth Stood Still
Them!
Tarantula
Earth versus the Flying Saucers (I think this is the title - the one with the "sand" - and that's all I'm going to say! )
Tron (with Jeff Bridges)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the original version, 1950s, I think)
Red Planet (with Val Kilmer)
Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (with Spencer Davis)
Contact (with Jodie Foster)
Frankenstein (the original version)
King Kong (the original version)
Jurassic Park I
Stepford Wives (the original version)
Altered States (with William Hurt)
X-Men
Flatliners (with Kevin Bacon & Kiefer Sutherland)
Soylent Green (with Charlton Heston)
Dune (both the original and the newer version)
Outland (with Sean Connery)
Abyss (I think. I can see the movie in my head, but I don't want to describe it because I don't want to ruin it for you).

Twilight Zone series, Outer Limits series, FarScape series (I think that was the name - the series with Scorpius and the actress Claudia Black)

The Picture of Dorian Gray - not sci-fi, but thought provoking in terms of "what if there was an apparatus that showed our true selves."

The Haunting (the original version w/Julie Harris). Admittedly, again, not Sci-Fi, but exquisitely done, such to produce chills and the thought, "Thank God this ain't a true story." )

Hope this helps!

Old 12-09-2007, 08:20 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,643,885 times
barbarella (young jane fonda). weird.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:30 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
RiverWorld. The movie was OK and the book was fantastic.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:51 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,371,184 times
I'm not a sci fi person, but someone talked me into watching "Gattaca", and thought it was wonderful. Also, I wish they would make a movie from the book, "The Giver."

Old 12-14-2007, 09:52 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Planet of the Apes (the original).
Rollerball (also the original)
I love the original version of Planet of the Apes also, and I have remastered version on DVD.

There was a science fiction movie that was made in 1976, I forgot the name of it, but it was about NASA sending astronauts to Mars, but a problem was found days before the launch, and they decided to fake the mission by creating a set that looks like Mars right here on earth to make the world believe that they really sent astronauts to Mars. Then something goes wrong that would normally lead to the death of the astronauts if they were out there, so NASA decides to kill them to avoid exposing the truth about the Mars mission.

If anybody remembers the title of that movie I'd appreciate it because I'd like to get the DVD.

Old 12-15-2007, 02:12 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times
Capricorn One (1978)
Director:Peter Hyams with Elliott Gould as Robert Caulfield, James Brolin as Col. Charles Brubaker, Telly Savalas as Albain and many others.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:30 PM

3,867 posts, read 4,076,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Event Horizon
Cool and creepy movie!

Old 12-18-2007, 08:33 PM

3,867 posts, read 4,076,782 times
One the whole family can watch, and is still pretty good.....Blackhole. It was really intense when I was a lad, but I suppose everything was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies