Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 09:17 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times

Advertisements

I was totally impressed by the "non-professionals" who played the Somalian pirates!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 04:12 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
He was referring to the movie itself being two hours. I distinctly remember there being at least two days passing.
Doh!
Thank you.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:51 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
I saw the movie today -- it was very good although I don't think any of the performances was Oscar-worthy.
I watched a documentary on this as well and they said the SEAL snipers were watching in their scope for 24 hours before getting a bead -and- the permission to shoot. Their shots were simultaneous which was incredible.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:54 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,547,556 times
Saw the movie a couple of days ago and really enjoyed it. Suspenseful.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:24 PM

277 posts, read 506,598 times
Captain Philip was excellent. I give it four out of five stars. We finally saw how great an actor Tom Hanks is at the end when he thought he would die and wrote the letter to his family. I didn't like the skinny Somali pirate that was in charge. I thought his sidekick that wanted to kill Tom Hanks was better. The movie was all strategic and wise. Very good movie.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:54 PM

5,462 posts, read 8,182,393 times
I just watched the Blu-ray of Captain Phillips on a big screen with surround sound.

It was above average, but I can't see how anybody would think it deserves an Oscar.

The music was usually obtrusive and often irritatingly pounding.

I did learn than 90% of the time Somalis communicate by shouting and yelling – when they are in their village – when they are preparing their boats – when they are capturing a ship – after they have captured a ship – when they are in a lifeboat – both before and after the effect of the khat wears off.

I also learned that they don't have to carry extra ammo because their weapons, no matter how much they fire them, never run out. They don't even have to worry about wasting ammo when they fire their weapons into the air.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:07 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
the movie does not make philips out to be a hero. it shows him doing his job as master of the maersk alabama. in the Navy your title is Captain, in the civilian world, you are the master of the vessel. he mustered the crew per procedure, hid them and prevented hostages except for himself. he initiated the Naval response. after a major naval operation, you don't interview the seaman from the messdecks who washes dishes and ask how the Captain performed, if his strategy was sound, if you approve of him. you don't ask the boatswain's mate seaman apprentice if he was a hero or not. cheap sensationalism. twisted media story. hanks is on some of their target lists.
No, I'm talking about some people at work are angry b/c they feel Captain Phillips was made out to be a hero? I don't know, didn't follow it....and loved the movie.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:10 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
what bothers me, is the fact that these boats are not allowed to carry weapons to protect themselves....that makes them sitting ducks, and Pirates are a real threat, it is a reality...so what I was thinking is this...why don't they put a welded type gun on the very top of all boats, an automatic type gun that the fighters have, and place one man in them which circles all the way around the boat, BAM, no more pirates?

Old 01-31-2014, 08:27 PM

500 posts, read 1,174,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post

I also learned that they don't have to carry extra ammo because their weapons, no matter how much they fire them, never run out. They don't even have to worry about wasting ammo when they fire their weapons into the air.
I said the same thing! lol

Old 01-31-2014, 10:35 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,662,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
what bothers me, is the fact that these boats are not allowed to carry weapons to protect themselves....that makes them sitting ducks, and Pirates are a real threat, it is a reality...so what I was thinking is this...why don't they put a welded type gun on the very top of all boats, an automatic type gun that the fighters have, and place one man in them which circles all the way around the boat, BAM, no more pirates?
They are absolutely allowed to carry weapons. In the film, Captain Phillips even mentions that they were in international waters.

The fact is, the risk posed by pirates was not yet realized in the early to mid-2000's.

Things are a lot different now and the rates of hijacking by pirates are much lower.

Security measures against pirate attacks - Telegraph

Quote:
Within months in 2010 armed guards went from being a risky prospect to the industry standard for the world’s big shipping firms plying these waters. Now, there are hundreds of armed guards at sea off the coast of Somalia on any one day.

Since the dark days of 2008 and 2009, Somali piracy has plummeted. The International Maritime Bureau says there were only two hijackings in the first eight months of 2013, down from dozens four years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies