Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 08:11 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times

Advertisements

There was a french film I saw on TCM a few months ago done in the 1950s and presented in single stop motion frames of people attempting to survive after a nuclear war. Dialogue was entirely by a single narrator.

Very strange film.
I found it La Jetee
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056119/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 08:12 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
"The Gods Must Be Crazy."
That movie spent well over a year at our local indie movie theater back when it was released. But it actually came out in 1980. Very funny flick. I'll never forget the rhino that puts out fires.
I saw this one but not the sequel.

I wanted to add to this list "Doctor Strangelove" with Peter Sellers.

Also perhaps "The Blues Brothers".

Old 11-15-2013, 11:42 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,450,418 times
- Drama: American History X, The Fight Club, The Shawshank Redemption, Mask, The Man From Earth, Moon.
- Action/Sci-Fi: Forbidden Planet, Star Wars, Alien, Planet of the Apes, Clash of the Titans, Terminator, The Pulp Fiction, Predator, Matrix, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.
- Imaginative/Magical: Harry Potter series, Pirates of the Caribbean, Big Fish, Edward Scissorhands, Stardust, Lord of the Rings.
- Historical: The Last Emperor, Saving Private Ryan.
- Comedy: Blazing Saddles, Animal House, Clerks, Idiocracy.
- Horror/Psychological: Being John Malkovich, Seven, Mr. Brooks, The Exorcist.

Foreign: The Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Headhunters, Gods Must Be Crazy I&II, Amelie, The City of Lost Children, Pan's Labyrinth, Romper Stomper, Clockwork Orange, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Elling, Starbuck, Kung Fu Hustle, Ringu.

Anyhow, these are the ones I can recall.
I am not saying these are all great movies, I just found them all unique in some way.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 11-15-2013 at 12:09 PM..

Old 11-15-2013, 12:23 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
...Clerks...
clerks is unique in that excepting for the opening shots in dante's bedroom (hello? what? no. i don't work today. i'm playing hockey at 2) calling him to work, and the game on the roof, and the scenes with randal next door at RST video shop, and the trip to the funeral parlor with randal, it takes place in the quick stop convenience store.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:38 PM

Wings of Desire (1987). Directed by Wim Wenders (Paris, Texas (1984)), stars Bruno Ganz as an angel who can only be seen by children and other angels and he falls in love with a trapise artist and wants to turn in his wings and become a moral. They / hollywood tried to remake it and failed.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:51 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,605,757 times
Candy (1968) Weird movie with all star cast including Ringo Starr.

Birdy (1984) Strange movie starring a very young Nicolas Cage and Matthew Modine.

The Party (1968) Very funny comedy starring Peter Sellers, no real plot/story.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:28 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,421,251 times
So many mentioned here that I totally agree with:

Eraserhead
Rashomon
Freaks
Big Fish
Pulp Fiction
The Gods Must be Crazy
Pan's Labyrinth
Donnie Darko

Two of my favorites that I would add:

Don Juan DeMarco
Finding Graceland

Old 11-16-2013, 06:30 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
"The Gods Must Be Crazy."
That movie spent well over a year at our local indie movie theater back when it was released. But it actually came out in 1980. Very funny flick. I'll never forget the rhino that puts out fires.
That had the great line "excuse me but are the voices in my head bothering you?"
SECONDS with Rock Hudson (difficult to find on dvd) The film is a bit disturbing.

Seconds (1966) - IMDb

Old 11-17-2013, 12:10 AM

Heist (2001). Stars Gene Hackman, Danny DeVito, Delroy Lindo, Sam Rockwell. Movie is unique in that you don't know until the end who is scamming who. Outstanding dialog, story, acting.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:38 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
Heist (2001). Stars Gene Hackman, Danny DeVito, Delroy Lindo, Sam Rockwell. Movie is unique in that you don't know until the end who is scamming who. Outstanding dialog, story, acting.
Anything with the underrated Sam Rockwell has to be at least halfway decent.

This reminded me of the move Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. Now *that* was a film with an unusual plot--and like another movie I mentioned upthread, it was based on a true story, the memoirs of the Gong Show host, Chuck Barris. The sharp and crackling screenplay was written by Charlie Kaufman, the same guy who wrote Being John Malkovich as well as Adaptation.

Another Sam Rockwell film with a different kind of plot: Moon
This movie has echoes of A Space Odyssey, Blade Runner and Silent Running, but can stand by itself.

I also thought of The Fountain and Cloud Atlas. The films, in my opinion, were not completely successful, but they were ambitious and visually stunning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies