Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 08:17 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times

Advertisements

The Worst “Best Pictures”

The Last Weeklings!: The Worst "Best Pictures" - thebacklot.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 06:18 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California831 View Post
Ive seen american hustle, gravity, her, and dallas buyers club. I hated american hustle. Enjoyed gravity and her and dallas buyers club. Of the bunch, I felt Dallas Buyers Club was the best of the bunch. I havent seen the rest, but given the poor academy voting record who knows, the worst of the nominees will likely win. I thought Mud was the best of last year, but it didnt get nominated.

2012 - I would have picked Beasts of Southern Wild over Argo
2011 - I would have picked Midnight in Paris over The Artist
2010 - I would have picked Social Network over Kings Speech (worst robbery ever!!)
2009 - I would have picked Inglorious Basterds over Hurt Locker
There were a few correct choies there in the late 00's, but that 2003 selection of Lord of the Rings (terrible movies) over Mystic River was a travesty.
Didn't see anything redeeming bout the Dallas Buyers' Club whatsoever except was impressed w/ McConaughey weight loss.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:10 AM

241 posts, read 316,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Haven't seen any (yet). Would like to see most.

But as GLADIATOR taught us, your movie doesn't even have to be very good to win an Oscar.
Huh? I loved Gladiator and so did a million other people. If any thing Gladiator showed us that big ticket action movies can win the award as well.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:13 AM

241 posts, read 316,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I have to disagree about Beasts of the Southern Wild (Quevenzhane was wonderful, but I hated the movie). I wouldn't have chosen Argo either, but there were three or four other films I would have chosen before either of those.

I do agree with Midnight in Paris over The Artist. Hell, anything over The Artist. I couldn't take more than 20 minutes.

I enjoyed Kings Speech MUCH more than Social Network.

Can't say much about 2009 ... I took a haitus from movie watching
I think most people enjoyed the Kings Speech much more than social network. I personally didn't even think social network should have been nominated. I also agree with the Argo critique but like you I wouldn't have chosen Beasts of the Southern Wild. I didn't see Midnight in Paris so I have to take your word for it.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:32 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Default Only a single upset

There was really only a single upset, The Best Short Animated Film did not go to Disney for their Mickey Mouse short. I think the animators felt they had to give FROZEN, the best feature length animated film, so they gave the other Oscar to the small French director.

Two films — 1985′s The Color Purple (pictured) and 1977′s The Turning Point — received 11 Oscar nominations (including nods for Best Picture) and went the night without a win. I believe there was one previous film that received 10 nominations (with no wins), but I think this year was unique in that so many films received multiple nominations with no wins.

American Hustle
10 Nominations
Actor in a Leading Role
Actor in a Supporting Role
Actress in a Leading Role
Actress in a Supporting Role
Best Picture
Costume Design
Directing
Film Editing
Production Design
Writing (Original Screenplay)

Captain Phillips
6 Nominations
Best Picture
Film Editing
Sound Editing
Sound Mixing
Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

Nebraska
6 Nominations
Actor in a Leading Role
Actress in a Supporting Role
Best Picture
Cinematography
Directing
Writing (Original Screenplay)

The Wolf of Wall Street
5 Nominations
Actor in a Leading Role
Best Picture
Directing

Philomena
4 Nominations
Actress in a Leading Role
Best Picture
Music (Original Score)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies