Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 09:49 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,568,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I want to know why they made Jesus so sexy in this latest epic. According to forensic anthropologists, jesus looked like this.
They don't know what he looked like.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 09:51 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,568,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
The strict laws about a "weekly Sabbath" are Old Testament.
Yep..........if you were really holding to the Sabbath, then driving would be a violation.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:21 PM

668 posts, read 996,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Can anyone name any really good religious movies made in the past 20 years? I can't. (Granted, I have yet to see The Passion, which I've heard is very good.)
I thought the Coen Brother's A Serious Man to be an entirely fascinating story of maintaining one's religious faith in the face of increasing adversity, and a great film to boot. I also found Terence Malick's The Tree of Life to be a powerful treatise on one man's contemplations of faith and religion. They may not be "religious movies" in the sense that they simply retell Bible stories, but they are both deeply personal reflections of one's understanding and relationship to a higher power.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:05 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,631,772 times
Quote:
The problem with so many (dare I say most?) so-called "religious" movies is that they just aren't very good. Hollywood no longer knows how to make high quality movies based on religious source material.
You know I think religious films were in the ascendant but really more than 20+ years ago. Of course some are being made today but I don't it's to an extent as much as in the past. So here are some that have been noted as well made:
'A Man for All Seasons'
'The Nun's Story'
'The Ten Commandments'
'Quo Vadis'
'The Robe'
'The Gospel According to St Matthew'
'The Passion'

Old 03-04-2014, 10:00 AM

22,953 posts, read 28,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nast View Post
I thought the Coen Brother's A Serious Man to be an entirely fascinating story of maintaining one's religious faith in the face of increasing adversity, and a great film to boot. I also found Terence Malick's The Tree of Life to be a powerful treatise on one man's contemplations of faith and religion. They may not be "religious movies" in the sense that they simply retell Bible stories, but they are both deeply personal reflections of one's understanding and relationship to a higher power.
Agreed. There are LOTS of great movies (and TV shows for that matter) with religious themes. But I was talking more about movies adapted from religious texts or figures. Of that latter, there are sadly very few that are any good at all. They're either of poor artistic quality, intended solely to proselytize, or both.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:01 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,143,307 times
Anyone beside me notice that, after the original media fuss about this, NOTHING shows up in the news?

Old 03-11-2014, 08:54 AM

37,809 posts, read 41,107,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
Anyone beside me notice that, after the original media fuss about this, NOTHING shows up in the news?
Domestic Total as of Mar. 9, 2014: $41,874,230. Box Office Mojo

Old 03-11-2014, 09:07 AM

28,977 posts, read 30,367,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
They don't know what he looked like.......
well, they kinda do, it says in the Bibly he had hair of wool....
and we all know, from the area he was born, those were very dark skinned people....
plus, it may also say in the Bible, that he had a beard and mustache?
But caucausians would never want to believe that their God, might have been almost black...

that wouldn't sit well....

some say his hair was white like white wool? Who knows? Remember, the Bible was written by men, and man in his sinful ways, do not always tell the truth....

http://www.openbible.info/topics/what_jesus_looked_like

Old 03-11-2014, 04:29 PM

643 posts, read 920,213 times
religious movies are thumbs down

Old 03-12-2014, 06:46 AM

28,977 posts, read 30,367,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The problem with so many (dare I say most?) so-called "religious" movies is that they just aren't very good. Hollywood no longer knows how to make high quality movies based on religious source material.

Can anyone name any really good religious movies made in the past 20 years? I can't. (Granted, I have yet to see The Passion, which I've heard is very good.)
Yes, Mark the Passion was very good, but also, enjoyed the movie, Jesus of Nazareth, which was a long time ago, but I enjoyed that movie.

Ben Hur was great and so was the 10 Commandments.

I liked them.

LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies