Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 11:37 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,556,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
1. How can anybody fall again and again down a mountainside as depicted, yet still be able to walk?

2. The U.S. soldiers could get shot multiple times with 7.62, yet still function. However, the Taliban soldiers would get shot ONCE with 5.56, yet drop instantly.
#1 - Good question. The only thing I can figure is all the gear they were wearing helped?
#2 - I guessing they just were not hit in any major organs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 10:49 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
I never saw monuments men, but I did see (and own the DVD) of Lone Survivor.

I thought LS was quite good. The only thing I found fault with was that the Taliban's RPGs were useless. They would land close to the US soldiers and shake them up a little but do no damage. In real life, they would spray shrapnel everywhere.

To answer the two questions above:

1. US soldiers wear tons of armor and carry many pounds of gear, which probably cushioned their fall and absorbed some of the shock. They also were full of adrenaline from being in a battle.

2. Again, US soldier wear top of the line armor and most of the US's enemies use AK-47s. The armor is designed with the AK in mind. Also Taliban are probably not very good shots, they are crazy nomads, not trained soldiers. The US soldiers are excellent shots and specifically train to hit their enemies in vital areas.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:42 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Lone Survivor was very good, though it didn't effect me emotionally the way Black Hawk Down did. They did take some liberties with the story, but nothing major. Ironically enough the part that annoyed me the most was the portrayal of Luttrell as the upstanding moral guy, when he spent his entire book blaming the "liberal media" for his not being able to murder unarmed civilians.

Still, I'd highly recommend it.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:04 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Lone Survivor was very good, though it didn't effect me emotionally the way Black Hawk Down did. They did take some liberties with the story, but nothing major. Ironically enough the part that annoyed me the most was the portrayal of Luttrell as the upstanding moral guy, when he spent his entire book blaming the "liberal media" for his not being able to murder unarmed civilians.

Still, I'd highly recommend it.
I would think that it would be considered major changes by putting in a totally Hollywood ending with explosions, gun battles, and one on one fighting that never happened. Also that Luttrell didn't witness the deaths of his teammates like the movie portrays.

Not having a go at you but just the way I see it.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:46 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Ironically enough the part that annoyed me the most was the portrayal of Luttrell as the upstanding moral guy, when he spent his entire book blaming the "liberal media" for his not being able to murder unarmed civilians.

Honestly, killing the civilians who clearly had ties to the Taliban would have saved the SEAL team. The liberal media would probably have condemned it. If it was a choice between the lives of three enemy collaborators and three of your best friends, what would you do?

My questions was why not just shoot the younger ones in the leg to slow them down and let them go?

Old 06-24-2014, 04:31 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I would think that it would be considered major changes by putting in a totally Hollywood ending with explosions, gun battles, and one on one fighting that never happened. Also that Luttrell didn't witness the deaths of his teammates like the movie portrays.

Not having a go at you but just the way I see it.
I actually forgot about the ending firefight. Thanks for reminding me. Still, from a film making prospective I can understand why they had to do that for the climactic scene. The way it ended in real life wouldn't have given that climax. And yes, they didn't witness the CH-47 getting shot down as it is portrayed in the film, but it made for a gripping scene.

Those changes aside, they got enough of the story right and captured the spirit of the real story. The only part that had me shaking my head was the depiction of Luttrell being near death on the helicopter fight after he was in relatively good health following his evac. That part, in my opinion, was utterly stupid.

Another part I was unhappy about was their failing to mention that Mike Murphy received the Medal of Honor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Honestly, killing the civilians who clearly had ties to the Taliban would have saved the SEAL team.
There were no "clear" ties to anyone who understands that region.

Quote:
The liberal media would probably have condemned it.
As would the United States Navy and as they should have, as it would have made those SEALs war-criminals instead of heroes.

Quote:
If it was a choice between the lives of three enemy collaborators and three of your best friends, what would you do?
I would have cut them loose, just like they did. I actually believe in honor and integrity, the things that are supposed to separate us from the savages.

Quote:
My questions was why not just shoot the younger ones in the leg to slow them down and let them go?
Because that part of the world doesn't exactly have a doctor on every corner and taking that action probably would have led to amputation and/or death.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:25 AM

645 posts, read 707,115 times
they returned the priceless arts to its original country while Russia stole as many as art work as they can. So they really gone through all that like 2 men died could have been more and returned all the art work? pretty honorable, if I risked my life try to do that I don't know if I should ask for anything, how about you?

Old 03-11-2015, 06:06 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
MONUMENTS MEN was a boring waste of time with a great cast.

I never finished LONE SURVIVOR. I toughed it out through the first 45 minutes, then gave up. The whole tone of the movie was way too Top-Gun-volleyball-scene / butt-slapping for me. The movie was just one big muscle flex.

ARGO, on the other hand, was brilliant. Loved every second of it. I don't care if it was historically inaccurate. It was a brilliantly plotted and paced film. Kind of like Stone's JFK, which was hysterical nonsense but a great movie.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:23 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,688,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Well .... both movies got bad reviews and did really bad at the box office.
Do you normally fire off misinformation without checking yourself first, or is this an isolated incident?

Old 03-14-2015, 10:30 AM

277 posts, read 506,527 times
Lone Survivor was very good. The Monuments Men sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies