Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 02:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I plan on seeing it, did you guys not see that over this last weekend it broke even the Lord of the Rings for how much money it brought in? I think thats good enough for me.
That quote pretty much says it all I'm afraid! And that's pretty much how it got all of that money too.

Marketing hype speaks and everyone follows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 08:36 AM

10 posts, read 11,594 times
Default I am legend is crap

It definately can be put alongside the remakes of Planet of the apes and Time machine.

The film makers of Hollywood are appealing to a much younger audience, hence gut reaction movies and not thought provoking, we are being dumbed down.

On a star rating I would not give I am a legend 1 single star, but it makes money and so Will Smith will make a fortune.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:49 AM

Default Sheep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordonbert View Post
That quote pretty much says it all I'm afraid! And that's pretty much how it got all of that money too.

Yes, just like sheep, and the same in politics, all the flag waving amounts to a hill of beans for some poor bastard living under a cardbod box.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:50 AM

Default More Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordonbert View Post

////how much money it brought in? I think thats good enough for me. ///////

Say no more.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:44 AM

29,505 posts, read 14,668,503 times
I thought it was a really good movie. I also plan on reading the book as well. I am aware that the movie did stray quite a bit from the book.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:56 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,327,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibelle View Post
This movie was HORRIBLE. I went into it, having never read the book, and not knowing anything about it.

The first thing I see is Will Smith in a brand new Ford Mustang drifting through abandoned New York. These Hollywood actors really bother me. They cry Global Warming, and complain about huge corporations corrupting our economy and ruining the planet, yet they participate in films that completely advertise all the huge corporations that they are fighting against. Whatever.

Okay... I jumped during the film a few times... and it was when I had no idea what was going on in the movie. Once I figured it out... it was generic crap. Why is it that the "Dark Seekers" are so stupid that they have no human characteristics anymore... yet they have a leader dude who is smart enough to sick the zombie dogs on Will? And why are the male monsters hating their shirts... but the females are modest enough to still wear a top? And the way the monsters communicate... SO predictable. An open mouth yell. *yawn*

And do tell me... if the bridges going onto the island are blown up... how that woman who suddenly appears at the end of the film, managed to drive in and out of NYC???

I was given two movie passes for my birthday, and I saved them so my husband and I could see a cool action movie at the theater. After the movie finished... he said he would have rather sat through "Enchanted", and that is coming from a man who hates Harry Potter, LOTR's, and any other fantasy films.

I put this movie in the same category of the latest "Planet of the Apes" and "Time Machine" re-makes.

Any one else have an opinion on this film????
Many many years later...and I must say I totally...100% disagree with you....

Real quick, about the lady entering New York criticsm...New York also has tunnels...many...there's many bridges connecting Long Iland to Mainland...as one who's been there I know this...but that aside...

I found, and still find the movie a enjoyable watch...

And yes I've seen the classics with Vincent Price (I own it)...and the other one, 'Omega man'...

I like them all...

And each presents a slightly or radically different picture of the theme...

I think people who are over critical, have other underlying issues other than the film...

I think they have a personal bias...

Like attacking Will Smith for driving a Red Mustang??

He had nothing to do with that...the writers did...
And if anyone has followed the earlier movies, they would know that was keeping in tradition of how the other films started out...

In Omega man, he was driving around in a brand new white colored Mustang...

So I don't understand why you would be spiteful at Will Smith, an actor, for following the writers storyline, and not the writer for writing it into the script?

Again, whether John Travolta or Tom Cruise, they still would have had to follow the script...

That's why I suspect much bias in this crotique...

But that aside...I think it's a great film, with it's own taste and feel to it...
And I also like the classics too...

Old 01-08-2011, 04:09 PM

I suspect those who criticize this movie...are really upset at the fact that Will Smith was cast as the main character...and nothing more...

Cause their criticisms really lack substance...

saying stuff like 'this movie is crap'...

tells me nothing...but gives me insight into the person saying it...

I suspect they're mad or disappointed, cause their own ideal character wasn't used...

And as such feel 'slated'...

So instead of coming out and saying 'Hey, why did they use a black guy to play this role, whom I cannot relate to'

They use other transparant reasons for not enjoying the film...

I can tell, and distinquise a true critique...who gives actual reasons for not likeing a film...and a racist, or bias person, who's just upset cause a 'black man' played the role of someone they wanted to be 'white'...

Grow up, and get over it, and I'm glad the movie did well at the box office and continues to sell well years later....

Evidence that not everyone walks around with stone age primitave racial views....

Old 01-09-2011, 11:22 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,228,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
I suspect those who criticize this movie...are really upset at the fact that Will Smith was cast as the main character...and nothing more...

Cause their criticisms really lack substance...

saying stuff like 'this movie is crap'...

tells me nothing...but gives me insight into the person saying it...

I suspect they're mad or disappointed, cause their own ideal character wasn't used...

And as such feel 'slated'...

So instead of coming out and saying 'Hey, why did they use a black guy to play this role, whom I cannot relate to'

They use other transparant reasons for not enjoying the film...

I can tell, and distinquise a true critique...who gives actual reasons for not likeing a film...and a racist, or bias person, who's just upset cause a 'black man' played the role of someone they wanted to be 'white'...

Grow up, and get over it, and I'm glad the movie did well at the box office and continues to sell well years later....

Evidence that not everyone walks around with stone age primitave racial views....
I agree. The movie wasn't a masterpiece, but it wasn't bad. I think not only are people mad at the fact that Will got the lead part, but also it wasn't as action packed as many people expected.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I agree. The movie wasn't a masterpiece, but it wasn't bad. I think not only are people mad at the fact that Will got the lead part, but also it wasn't as action packed as many people expected.
Hi,

I've watched the film about 10 or more times on DVD...sometimes in short sections...

When you watch a film that many times and or listen to director commentary, you really begin to notice all the time and details put into such a film...

Like the opening scenes of a desolate Manhattan...beautiful...I find absolute beauty and stillness from those opening scenes...and often pause the dvd, and emerge myself into the picture, and ask or wonder how I would handle such an enviornment....

Obviously it would be wonderful by day, and awful by night....

The action sequences were about just right for me, and am glad they didn't play down to the 'video game genre'...

I can't stand movies where there's more action, cartoonish effects, than plot.
This movie, I feel, had a wonderful storyline, and I liked the way the jumped from present to past, to fill the audience in on details...

And I think Will added the right mix of drama, suspence and of course humor (very small though) to the film....

Admitedly the movie without Will probablly would of felt or been more 'dark'...
In the prior film versions...there was very little if any humor injected into the film.

The infected humanoids were a bit over blown though, they were like super humans who could tear through metal walls...and climb buildings...

Scary, but unrealistic...Of all the super zombie huminoids I've seen in movies, they have to be the most fierce I've seen...

Expecially that one Alpha male...good gracious...to much coffee...

Anyways..I think that film over all is on par or better than any sci-fi/horror film that has come out recently....

Old 01-09-2011, 05:12 PM

163 posts, read 391,030 times
I think it was a pretty good movie. Of course I read the book and I've learned to not have high expectations of movies based off of books, but overall it wasn't that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies