Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 03:48 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times

Advertisements

Finally we went & saw the movie today very good like all the others were but I wonder if they are going to do the battle with Saruon. I would love to see it myself, has anyone heard of the possibility of another one?
Is there really any point in doing another one other then money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 11:27 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,333,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Finally we went & saw the movie today very good like all the others were but I wonder if they are going to do the battle with Saruon. I would love to see it myself, has anyone heard of the possibility of another one?
Is there really any point in doing another one other then money?

Right after the three Lords of the Ring, I wanted to see a prequel to the story that lead to that huge battle with Saruon in the beginning of The Fellowship of the Ring.

Sadly, there won't be any more movies about Middle Earth again. From P. Jackson's earlier interviews, Studio's don't own anymore rights and they don't want to do something completely off on "their own" (which is kinda funny), so yeah, no more movies unless Tolkien's estate sells licensing rights of Tolkien's other works to Hollywood.

I will definitely go watch this at the Theater! I'm a huge fan! Too bad, I'm lazy to read. If I wasn't, I would definitely read Tolkien's books.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:26 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
Right after the three Lords of the Ring, I wanted to see a prequel to the story that lead to that huge battle with Saruon in the beginning of The Fellowship of the Ring.

Sadly, there won't be any more movies about Middle Earth again. From P. Jackson's earlier interviews, Studio's don't own anymore rights and they don't want to do something completely off on "their own" (which is kinda funny), so yeah, no more movies unless Tolkien's estate sells licensing rights of Tolkien's other works to Hollywood.

I will definitely go watch this at the Theater! I'm a huge fan! Too bad, I'm lazy to read. If I wasn't, I would definitely read Tolkien's books.

Maybe if the fans want it bad enough... I am starting to read the books I'm having trouble getting into LOTR but no problem with The Hobbit.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:22 AM

277 posts, read 506,598 times
There has to be another one in the making. There's no way ths movie is finished. I thought this would be the last one but too many things left unanswered.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:25 AM

986 posts, read 1,866,765 times
This series didn't need to be 3 movies. 2 movies would have been more than enough. Seems like it was all about just making as much money as possible, sadly.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:53 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post

I think we may have to wait a long time for the making of the prequel to the Hobbit/Fellowship as that would likely mean a biopic of the length never having been attempted and last many thousands of years and was chronicled in Tolkien's 'Silmarillion' publication.

The relatively brief period of Bilbo and Frodo's adventure takes place during the Third Age preceded by the Second age in where Suaron loses his ring to Elendil and Islidur who later loses the ring while trying to cross a river before he is slain by Orcs.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:39 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,619,209 times
Just thought as a change of pace and time producers could look perhaps at Tolkien's take on the death of Arthur. Not sure there's enough for a extravagant film but it would be nice to get another film focusing on the Arthurian legend from a Tolkien perspective.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:24 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Just thought as a change of pace and time producers could look perhaps at Tolkien's take on the death of Arthur. Not sure there's enough for a extravagant film but it would be nice to get another film focusing on the Arthurian legend from a Tolkien perspective.
Hmmm. Perhaps. This type of fantasy genre film is lean on material right now. Any film of this type has to live up to Jacksons films, which means big budgets , good actors and gripping plots. Conan type stuff is SOL. Folks are going to want epic adventure and battle, and different cultures, like the Elves , Dwarves and even the Orcs and Goblins are going go be hard to present in an original fashion that really grabs people.

Maybe delving into Norse mythology would be a good direction. The latest attempts at Greek mythology have been pretty lame, and the Beowulf films were pretty sorry as well. It takes a lot more to make a good fantasy film than some long blonde haired hero with a "magical" blade. Honestly, where do fantasy films go after LOTR? Tolkeins stories are the only ones that created a totally original, fantasy realm, with characters that actually have character, not done to death in low budget stuff.

I suppose there could be hope in Edgar Rice Burroughs's works, IF the writers, directors and producers would just follow his books far better. Tarzan could be SO much more , in film, than he has been, and John Carter as well. The Pellucidor theme could be great to. Tanar was a great character.

At any rate, as I said, any such fantasy film has a LOT to live up to now. People won't be content with the low budget stuff any more. Should be interesting to see where they go with it all.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:43 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
someone could re-make the LOTR from the perspective of Sauron and the Orcs who get portrayed in kind of a negative light for the most part.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:46 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,239,538 times
I thought the Lord of the Rings trilogy was terrific but it could have been better. I read the book and it was amazingly dense. The world that Tolkien created was incredibly detailed. I do like the ending that Peter Jackson came up with better than what happened in the book.
It is all about making money and appealing to the masses so some license is allowed.
I also think that the Hobbit should have been 2 movies not 3. I havent' seen the 3rd installment yet but my thoughts on the first 2, they were fun but the characters lacked some development. I love the characters from Lord of the Rings, I felt their despair and their triumphs, but this new lot is merely likable with their antics.

It would be a shame if they are done. I am a fan of the epic fantasy genre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies