Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 06:31 AM

22,918 posts, read 28,268,441 times

Advertisements

The sad thing is: There really never has been a great live action Batman. Christian Bale was fantastic as Bruce Wayne, but his Batman was hilariously mockable.

The problem is that so many of the filmmakers fail to find the fun psyche of Batman. They think he is Bruce Wayne and the Batman is just a disguise. No. He is Batman. Bruce Wayne is the disguise. The Nolan flicks got the Bruce Wayne part pretty well, but then Batman was just a guy in a suit punching people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 08:31 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,393,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Lol, if I were to consider Batman casting boo-boos, I sure wouldn't be thinking of Michael Keaton.
Val Kilmer was much worse. Just generic and wooden and boring as a casting choice.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:45 AM

29,480 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I loved him as Batman myself he fit the custom well Keaton has always been a very good actor. it wasn't as dark as Nolan's version but it was a start & without it we might not of had the trilogy we got today.
It's a shame that we didn't get to see more of Keaton being Wayne like we did with Bale. It was a bit on the lighter side & a bit campy but it was very good for it's time.
I thought it did a great job then, I like the quirky eccentric Bruce Wayne that he pulled off. I know I'm probably the only one that thinks this but Christian Bale is just a horrible BW/Batman. His voice as Batman just cracks me up.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:06 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
I liked him as Batman; I have watched his Batman flicks more than the other two of that series. So it can be said that I accepted him in the part.

Of course, one of the reasons why I might have is that I didn't know him that well before. I have never seen "Mr. Mom" and only bits and pieces of "Gung Ho" and then only in this century. Probably saw "Beetlejuice" in the 90's and if I saw "Night Shift" before, it was forgotten.

Now, would there have been someone else from that time period who might have been better in the part? Feel like that question is like Egghead's analysis, from the 60's series, of who Batman had to be.

Whoever it might have been, it would have to be someone with a Tarzan such build, such as that which Ron Ely had in his prime. A nice cobra back but not so much they are like Arnold. Someone who could act, so that lets out Van Damme.......and someone reasonably famous which releases tons of beautiful henchmen from oodles of movies. Further, his voice would need to fit the part as well. People with squeaky voices, such as Matt Frewer (then) or Scott Bakula would never fly in that part.

I think they did pretty well for the selection at the time.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:00 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The sad thing is: There really never has been a great live action Batman. Christian Bale was fantastic as Bruce Wayne, but his Batman was hilariously mockable.

The problem is that so many of the filmmakers fail to find the fun psyche of Batman. They think he is Bruce Wayne and the Batman is just a disguise. No. He is Batman. Bruce Wayne is the disguise. The Nolan flicks got the Bruce Wayne part pretty well, but then Batman was just a guy in a suit punching people.
Bale was the best well-rounded Bruce/Bat. The others even Adam West was pretty much stronger on one side. As bad as Batman & Robin was, George Clooney was Bruce Wayne period. IMO, part of the problem is the lack of Bruce scenes and it was more Batman heavy movie. West was the whimsy Batman that existed from the golden and silver ages. The Batman of the 80's on were more darker than the whimsical ones Adam West portrayed in both live-action and voice work.

Keaton is the second best well-rounded Bat. However, he did have two movies vs. one for both Kilmer and Clooney.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:33 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I thought it did a great job then, I like the quirky eccentric Bruce Wayne that he pulled off. I know I'm probably the only one that thinks this but Christian Bale is just a horrible BW/Batman. His voice as Batman just cracks me up.

His voice didn't bother me so much I was hoping to see him use that brilliant brain of his. Batman would never take on someone like Bane without knowing something about them. His voice was Nolans fault.
At the same time Bale had the physical build & look of Batman. Watching Kilmer and Clooney made me walk out of the movies.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:52 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

I agree, but Batman Begins was on the right track wrt the Bruce and Batman persona-- he let out his anger on criminals in a just and effective way, something he never learned to do before he left Gotham. The latter two movies were off the rails, focusing too much on the villains.

No Batman movie portrayed him as a serious detective, and yes, the Nolan Batman voice is laughably bad (but less so in Begins).

Old 01-08-2015, 11:13 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,933,171 times
Here are others that were considered for this role... would you have liked to see any of these guys in this movie or any other Batman film?

Mel Gibson
Kevin Costner
Charlie Sheen
Tom Selleck
Bill Murray
Pierce Brosnan
Ray Liotta (asked to audition but declined)

Here are those that were in the mix for 'The Joker'

Tim Curry
William Dafoe
David Bowie
John Lithgow
James Woods

Robin Williams lobbied hard for the part but was never considered... and Tim Burton actually wanted Brad Douriff but rejected by the studio.

All this info from Wikipedia... of course... lol.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:18 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
Here are others that were considered for this role... would you have liked to see any of these guys in this movie or any other Batman film?

Mel Gibson
Kevin Costner
Charlie Sheen
Tom Selleck
Bill Murray
Pierce Brosnan
Ray Liotta (asked to audition but declined)
No way! Him? A drunk Batman LOL. Winning!

Micheal Keaton is great but did not fit the role Of Batman. As Bruce Wayne maybe. By far though George Clooney and Val Kilmer were way more of a mismatch. Christian Bale is good.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:29 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,933,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
No way! Him? A drunk Batman LOL. Winning!

Micheal Keaton is great but did not fit the role Of Batman. As Bruce Wayne maybe. By far though George Clooney and Val Kilmer were way more of a mismatch. Christian Bale is good.
Sheen was becoming a full fledged star at that point as he had many successful movies prior and if anyone can play a Bruce Wayne type character it's him! Although.. just couldn't picture Sheen in the Bat Suit, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies