Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 05:36 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,920 times

Advertisements

I am so excited about the BBC's production of "The Last Kingdom" has started filming! http://www.carnivalfilms.co.uk/news/filming-begins-last-kingdom.

I love this book and have high hopes that it will be a terrific adaptation. Is anyone else curious to see the story come alive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 01:07 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times

Old 02-10-2015, 05:20 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
That is great news, I have read all of Cornwell's books save the most recent (The Empty Thrown) and that one I ordered two days ago.

The Saxon series hopefully will have better production values than the Sharpe's Rifle tv series. What was supposed to be a charge of two French battalions would be like thirty guys.

I had always pictured Lord Uhtred as a bigger, bulkier guy than Alexander Dreymon who will be playing him. Uhtred has such an ironic sense of humor, that I also envisioned a merrier looking face.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:07 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
The Saxon series hopefully will have better production values than the Sharpe's Rifle tv series.
Agreed. Besides the almost complete lack of a budget, the Sharpe TV series made way too many changes to the story.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:48 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
What part of the story will be included--the first books where he is thrown out of his kingdom and comes under Alfred's colors?
I love anything about that era
have read the Joan Wolfe novels about Alfred and the Saxons before him--Edge of Light and Born of the Sun-- which are probably classified as romances but Wolfe is excellent historical fiction--the romance is pretty light when weighed against the general historical information--just very readable--

and I think I have a copy of the early movie about King Alfred w/David Hemmings someplace--maybe VHS--

and have read other novels about early England--
loving the Viking series on History channel....

I just hope this has a decent script--Cornwall is great writer--very visual to my way of thinking--which should make transforming the books into script easier than with some writers---like McCarthy--where there is so much thinking...

Old 02-11-2015, 05:36 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
What part of the story will be included--the first books where he is thrown out of his kingdom and comes under Alfred's colors?
It has been announced as a series of eight, one hour episodes. My guess is that it will all come from the first book in the series, (Last Kingdom) and if it is a success, they will move on to the next book in the series and do that as season two etc.

The eighth book in the series was published last month (The Empty Throne) and I don't think that they are planning to do eight episodes where each book gets a 60 minute treatment, that would be horrible.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:23 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
"Wolf Hall" which is BBC production in 6 episodes of Hillary Mansell's two novels started out with high numbers first two episodes but started dropping after 1st one--now that E4 has played it is pulling low viewer numbers...
while I think that is mainly due to the dense nature of her writing--it is not romance fiction or a text version of Henry VIII's movie w/Charles Laughton--and how the production is filmed in natural light so the sets are pretty dark and most viewers w/o any historical knowledge of the minor characters are probably clueless as to the conflicts and tensions...

There is more action/warfare in this series of novels but there is also lot of subtle infighting
if it is more like Game of Thrones or Vikings than Wolf Hall-- it will likely succeed---
personally I would like them to do ALL the books but think from financial standpoint that is very unlikely--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies