Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 01:50 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,391,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
It seems like the Chigurgh character is remeniscent of the lone biker of the apocalypse (Leonard Smalls), from Raising Arizona.
And maybe a little bit of Gaear Grimsrud from Fargo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 03:15 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,372,361 times
Default No Country for Old Men

We finally got to see it yesterday, in Ybor City in Tampa... 4 couples in the whole theatre... sat there with it in our faces in great comfortable seats...my Pumpkin was very tense throughout, ... expecially when the "valve" was released... where is the money we wondered... pee breaks were short and staggered... so, who wound up with the money?

Old 03-09-2008, 04:00 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,067,432 times
I assumed that Chigurh got the drug money.
But by the time the movie was over, it was pretty apparent that the money was not a major plot point in the film.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I assumed that Chigurh got the drug money.
But by the time the movie was over, it was pretty apparent that the money was not a major plot point in the film.
Thank you for replying Blue Willow Plate... "assumed" as you said... hmmm... what happened to the money after TLJ left the hotel with the crime tape? This was the best movie We've seen in a long time...

Old 03-09-2008, 07:36 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,653,554 times
I'm pretty sure Chigurh did, because when the sheriff went into the hotel room/crime scene, the vent was off and Chigurh's coin was there. He used the coin to remove the vent.
I agree - one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. I can't decide if I prefer this or There Will Be Blood.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJickler View Post
I'm pretty sure Chigurh did, because when the sheriff went into the hotel room/crime scene, the vent was off and Chigurh's coin was there. He used the coin to remove the vent.
I agree - one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. I can't decide if I prefer this or There Will Be Blood.
You are probably right... thats why he was so non chalant about walking away with a bone sticking out of his arm at the end... I'll end up buying the novel so we can read it and maybe learn a few other things that didn't make sense upon only one viewing... although, even ten viewings might not conclude it anyways... its what makes a great movie even greater.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:19 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,067,432 times
Quote:
One of my sons actually does prefer There Will Be Blood, which certainly is a fine movie and a great performance by Daniel Day Lewis.
I think I prefer the ensemble in No Country, but either way, it sure is nice to have so many good movies to choose from.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:16 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,212,014 times
I haven't seen the movie but I've juststarted reading the book. I know c. mcCarthy's style from 'The Road" and it works really well in this story so far. Has anyone else read the book, AND seen the movie?

Old 03-12-2008, 01:59 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,653,554 times
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I haven't seen the movie but I've juststarted reading the book. I know c. mcCarthy's style from 'The Road" and it works really well in this story so far. Has anyone else read the book, AND seen the movie?
I just read the book two weeks ago, after seeing the movie. There are a few scenes from the book that are not included in the movie. Overall I preferred the movie but the book was still very good. Also, reading the book helped me to understand the movie much better and made it easier to follow the 2nd time I watched it!

Slightly off topic: What do you think of 'The Road'? I have to say that it's easily one of the best books I've ever read in my life.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:45 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,212,014 times
Quote:
I just read the book two weeks ago, after seeing the movie. There are a few scenes from the book that are not included in the movie. Overall I preferred the movie but the book was still very good. Also, reading the book helped me to understand the movie much better and made it easier to follow the 2nd time I watched it!
Thanks about NCFOM - I see it's just now out on DVD! But I'll finish reading it first. I'm loving it.

Quote:
Slightly off topic: What do you think of 'The Road'? I have to say that it's easily one of the best books I've ever read in my life.
I loved the nightmare vignettes in The Road, and kinda teared up at the very end. It'll be a great movie - or rather I hope they won't mess it up Apparently Viggo Mortenson is cast to star as the dad.

Further off-topic: Do you know a book called Riddley Walker, published in 1980? It's a post-apocalypic tale too but not a realistic story as The Road is. If you're familiar with "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome," the concept of the pack of children and their telling "the tell" echo RW.
Riddley Walker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
</off topic>

Last edited by delusianne; 03-12-2008 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: added about Mad Max
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies