Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 11:25 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,920 times

Advertisements

I especially hate when someone uses a military RPG with people directly behind him and there is zero backblast, therefore no injury/death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 12:43 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,116,572 times
Subtitles/dubbing....

Sometimes subtitles are poorly translated; and sometimes the positioning of the subtitles at the bottom of the viewing screen can become hard to read if its white text on a white background.

Dubbing, can be very unconvincing by voice-actors that put little or no emotion in their narrative.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:00 AM

2,322 posts, read 923,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZolaLloyd View Post
Cinema trailers showing too much of the plot/best bits.

And in certain circumstances the trailer is far more entertaining than the film as a whole!
Agree

aka SPOILERS.

This is why I only read movie discussions or reviews after I've seen it. And I will not listen to radio discussions / features on a film because they are notorious for SPOILING films.
Same here. I do the same when it comes to books; I'll read the blurb, but not the reviews.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:19 AM

2,322 posts, read 923,655 times
A few of the things that bug me have already been listed, so I'll just focus on the thing that bugs me the most, second only to spoilers that I mentioned above and that is dumb decisions. I'm not talking about decisions that are stupid to me because I wouldn't make them, I'm talking about generally dumb decisions that are made solely to place the protagonist in peril and to move the plot along.

I'm also not necessarily talking about dumb decisions made in horror movies because that's par for the course. I'm talking about the decisions that are made by seemingly intelligent people that leave me scratching me head and muttering, "Now, that's just stupid".

A recent one that comes to mind is not from a movie and is horror, but it illustrates my point.

Quote:
This is set in a time where the rule of law no longer exists. A gated community is at defcon 2 awaiting an attack by a rival gang that want to take their supplies, kill their men and take their women.
  • One resident of the community decides that she has had enough and makes a decision to leave(as was her right) and asks, in her good-bye note, that no one try to find her. Immediately upon reading the note, the leader and another important member of said community, leave in search of her. Community: -3 people down Common Sense: 0
  • Another member of the community takes it upon himself to seek revenge for the death of someone that was killed by this rival gang, and leaves on his own, only to be followed by three other critical members that want to try to talk him into coming back home. Community: -4 people down Common Sense: 0
Community is down 7 critical persons in the midst of an impending attack(melodramatic much?) Eventually the leader makes it back - his partner decided to stay to continue the search and the other group managed to get themselves captured by the rival gang.

In the past, this group has proved, time and time again, that they are much smarter and more cautious, than this, but the plot needed to move forward, so the writers made them do dumb things.(do I have enough commas? I feel like I'm missing a couple)

Old 03-31-2016, 10:35 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,078,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZolaLloyd View Post
Subtitles/dubbing....

Sometimes subtitles are poorly translated; and sometimes the positioning of the subtitles at the bottom of the viewing screen can become hard to read if its white text on a white background.

Dubbing, can be very unconvincing by voice-actors that put little or no emotion in their narrative.
I'm actually bothered if they don't. They didn't speak English in China 1000 years ago, I get its to help understand the movie, but I can read. It throws of the realness of the movie to me.

Any movie is completely ruined if the "hero" has some completely unrealistic way of winning in the end just to tie it all together.

Multiple one-in-a-millions. I can deal with some really far out there ideas for a movie, but when you make a few of 'em its usually just to tie it together.

Ben Stiller. He's not funny, and he is definitely on the list of actors who seem like they are probably giant A-holes in real life.

Obvious production mistakes. I can't recall what it was, but recently saw a new movie where they had a blowout/flat on the rear wheel, but then in the next scene they were changing the front wheel.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:35 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
The totally bogus notion that a car will explode if shot in the gas tank by a handgun , shotgun or standard rifle. Maybe with a heavy machine gun firing explosive or incendiary rounds, but a shotgun won't make it happen. In general, movies that have these unrealistic capabilities given to firearms bug me.

Blatant social commentary bugs me to. I watch a movie to be entertained, not to be preached at.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:12 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
All good observations, but my complaints are different, I guess cause I'm so old.

1. Little or no character development. Action movies that are just that, action scene after action scene that go on and on.
2. Too loud.
3. Action scenes shot so close that the camera is too close to see the whole scene and you just see a bunch of parts moving around.
4. Very predictable story lines.
5. Comedies that are nothing but crude humor.

I don't really bother to go to movies any more. Honestly, I can't think of more than a few movies that has been made in the last 20 years or so that I can recommend.

Old 04-02-2016, 04:29 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,675,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
All good observations, but my complaints are different, I guess cause I'm so old.

1. Little or no character development. Action movies that are just that, action scene after action scene that go on and on.
2. Too loud.
3. Action scenes shot so close that the camera is too close to see the whole scene and you just see a bunch of parts moving around.
4. Very predictable story lines.
5. Comedies that are nothing but crude humor.

I don't really bother to go to movies any more. Honestly, I can't think of more than a few movies that has been made in the last 20 years or so that I can recommend.
I have to agree, that as I am watching something, I will be talking to the TV (I don't go to a theater much any more), analyzing, saying "Oh that wouldn't happen" or feeling it has no continuity. I detest action-only without a story, which is boring. For me, Comedies or Romance can be lame, but some are worth it. I mostly want an engaging or engrossing story, dialogue. There do exist some quality films, but certainly not all that are made. Some award winning ones can be surprisingly lacking, but have viewed hundreds of films.

I am actually not recalling newer movies, either, but to suggest better ones from the past 20 years (you might have seen):

"As Good as it Gets" - comedy
"The Lookout" - Drama - Trust me, it has a strong storyline, well-made.
"Castaway" - Drama
"Forrest Gump" - Comedy (over 20 years)
"The American President" - Comedy, Romance

All I can think of, but know there are more. (I know..this is supposed to be about what we don't like).

Old 04-02-2016, 10:03 AM

1,977 posts, read 3,578,011 times
The monster/Killer is after the lead guy and girl. Somehow they find time to stop on the run and have sex. It kills me everytime.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:06 PM

3,565 posts, read 2,116,572 times
A car scene - the main protagonist is driving, but is also in conversation with the passenger sitting adjacent.

The driver seems to spend far too much time looking at the passenger than the road ahead, especially in busy city areas!

Moreover, same driver rarely take his/her hands off the steering wheel throughout; no indicators, no changing gear - it's as if the car is in complete cruise control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies