Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 02:36 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,733,097 times

Advertisements

The AMC near us just put in new reclining loungers in all their 24 screens. Makes the movie experience that much better. Add the reserved seating and no need to ever rush to the theater to get your seat. Now I can show up 10 minutes late just enough to miss the previews and catch the start of the movie and not worried about getting the far back or way-too-close front rows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 03:34 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,140,268 times
I'm at the opposite end. The recliners are a waste of space, make it more likely a person will doze off, and seem to encourage talking.

The reserved seating is a whole other problem, leaving you trapped.

I do agree about showing up late, though. The easy solution is to either wait a few weeks until the crowds die down, or else get your seat, then stroll out again to the bathrooms, concession stand, whatever, and return as the movie starts.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:39 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
I like the reserved seats.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:40 PM

I timed it last time.

TWENTY-EIGHT minutes of previews/ads.

That is nuts.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I'm at the opposite end. The recliners are a waste of space, make it more likely a person will doze off, and seem to encourage talking.

The reserved seating is a whole other problem, leaving you trapped.

I do agree about showing up late, though. The easy solution is to either wait a few weeks until the crowds die down, or else get your seat, then stroll out again to the bathrooms, concession stand, whatever, and return as the movie starts.
I don't see any negative with reserved seating. Why does it leave you trapped?

Old 03-16-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I timed it last time.

TWENTY-EIGHT minutes of previews/ads.

That is nuts.
I haven't timed it but my experience has been more around 15 minutes. Say start time is 6:45. Movie will usually start at 7pm

Old 03-16-2017, 03:52 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Don't always count on previews. In the weeks prior to the Oscars, I made an effort to see all the films nominated for best picture, and none of them had ANY previews. I think it was sponsored by Amazon Studios, but a lot of folks didn't realize that would happen, and came in late for the movie.

Personally, I like being able to reserve a seat. I like knowing BEFORE I purchase my ticket whether or not there will be a seat available that I will like. I hate getting into a theater and finding out that I have to sit in the front.

Even with reserving seats, I still arrive a few minutes early. There have been a couple of times that I've arrived and someone has been in my seat. One time I had the right seat, but the wrong theater (they had two screens showing the same special event at the same time). The other time, the person wasn't going to give up the seat for me, and tried to convince me to just take another empty seat (I think he may have snuck into the theater, to be honest). Took a bit of arguing, but I finally got him to move.

Old 03-16-2017, 04:25 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
The AMC near us just put in new reclining loungers in all their 24 screens. Makes the movie experience that much better. Add the reserved seating and no need to ever rush to the theater to get your seat. Now I can show up 10 minutes late just enough to miss the previews and catch the start of the movie and not worried about getting the far back or way-too-close front rows.
When Young Frankenstein was on the big screen several months ago, we reserved our "seats" online. When we got to the theater, they over sold tickets, forcing people to have to see the movie in the smaller theater that didn't have the reclining seats (not that it matters since the ticket prices are the same regardless of whether the seat reclines or not). We got to the theater early and were told that there is no guarantee that our seats are reserved . When we went into the theater, we ended up sitting down in the front row, which turned out ok since we had the reclining seats that go back far enough but the theater was pretty much full.

I couldn't understand how they reserved seats with #'s on them when none of the seats are numbered.

I think reclining seats are good for comedies/action movies. I'm the type to doze off when the recliner goes back lol

Old 03-16-2017, 11:30 PM

The AMC reservation system is just like tickets to a ball game. You pick your exact seats and all the seats in the theater are numbered.

Old 03-17-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I haven't timed it but my experience has been more around 15 minutes. Say start time is 6:45. Movie will usually start at 7pm
It's funny.
If you had asked, I would have GUESSED 15 minutes.
But when I timed it, it was way longer.
21 minutes the first time and then 28 minutes last time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies