Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 09:32 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,090,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
The only movie I've ever seen him truly act his heart out is in Magnolia.
Just what I was getting ready to post. Really his best performance IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 09:43 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
I can't stand the guy, but Top Gun is his best.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:37 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Tropic Thunder
Top Gun
Minority Report
Collateral

Old 07-11-2017, 06:21 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Stefan Georgic (?) in that football movie early in his career and the Army major so out of his depth in Edge of Tomorrow...thought that part had lot of humor and know Cruise did so many of those stunts...give him credit for that...good chemistry between him and Blunt...
Risky Business for the dance episode...and that movie set parameters for things like Orange County and Dope
And I like the Mafia lawyer movie--The Firm--
Didn't care for his costar Tripplehorn but Holly Hunter was a blast...as was Holbrook and Hackman...

Old 07-11-2017, 06:26 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,711,627 times
I am going to get some flack, but I loved how he played THE Rock star in Rock Of Ages... so over the top and cliche, but a lot of fun to watch.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:30 AM

I agree--Cruise had fun with that part and was over the top--which he was supposed to be...
Same with Tropic Thunder...

IMO--some of Cruise's best roles have been the comedy aspect and yet he has never really been allowed to follow that genre---
He is always the action star---
Maybe the powers that be in Scientology didn't really want too much romance/sex in his roles because he is NOT convincing as a lover IMO--and it is difficult to find a comedy part that is not a rom/com...
But the better parts of his movies are often when he can use his sarcasm and humor (that is often directed at his character)...

Old 07-12-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I agree--Cruise had fun with that part and was over the top--which he was supposed to be...
Same with Tropic Thunder...

IMO--some of Cruise's best roles have been the comedy aspect and yet he has never really been allowed to follow that genre---
He is always the action star---
Maybe the powers that be in Scientology didn't really want too much romance/sex in his roles because he is NOT convincing as a lover IMO--and it is difficult to find a comedy part that is not a rom/com...
But the better parts of his movies are often when he can use his sarcasm and humor (that is often directed at his character)...
You're right in that romantic roles are not his strong suit. Penelope Cruz really had to carry him in Vanilla Sky, Nicole Kidman in their roles together (Days of Thunder, Far and Away, Eyes Wide Shut *groan*). He simply can't seem to muster up sexual chemistry onscreen.
I'll make an exception for Jerry Maguire, but I'll also give Renee Zellweger mad credit for that performance.
And he did portray a very convincing virgin in Risky Business.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:58 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
You're right in that romantic roles are not his strong suit. Penelope Cruz really had to carry him in Vanilla Sky, Nicole Kidman in their roles together (Days of Thunder, Far and Away, Eyes Wide Shut *groan*). He simply can't seem to muster up sexual chemistry onscreen.
I'll make an exception for Jerry Maguire, but I'll also give Renee Zellweger mad credit for that performance.
Again, Top Gun. Perhaps Kelly McGillis being a homosexual somehow helped?

Old 07-12-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Again, Top Gun. Perhaps Kelly McGillis being a homosexual somehow helped?
LOLPerhaps she should have been on top.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
And he did portray a very convincing virgin in Risky Business.
Re Jerry Maguire--
There really wasn't much romance between Jerry and Dorothy--
Jerry had a one-night stand by mistake sort of that by comedy of errors played into their getting married--Dorothy was chasing him and used guilt to get the marriage proposal...
It was Ron and Marcy who had the love affair--Jerry was lot more comfortable showing affection to Ray than Dorothy---something which came off a little strange really...
Jerry and Dorothy only really gelled at the end when he did the famous "you complete me" speech...
And then the movie was over...

Re Top Gun---
In some ways Cruise seems to exhibit the classic homo-in-hiding persona---
Trying to be more macho than the next guy, mimicking romantic behavior that macho guys exhibit but lacks the true ability to cause his audience to empathize w/it because there is no libido involved...
Compare Richard Gere in Office and Gentleman w/Cruise---
Gere is steamy but Cruise just comes off as Mr. Clean...at least to me...

Watch him in "All the Right Moves" with Lea Thompson--that was fairly realistic and sexy--organic and natural for young teens...
"Risky Business", "All the Right Moves" and "Top Gun" he did before joining Scientology...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies