Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2018, 10:25 AM

28,672 posts, read 18,795,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Novels traditionally have more substance than comic books.
And sometimes comic books have discussable themes of substance as well. I got an A on an essay of that very topic back in 1967 in my English class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 10:34 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
And sometimes comic books have discussable themes of substance as well. I got an A on an essay of that very topic back in 1967 in my English class.
Quite true. I would agree that comic books qualify as an art form. I would further agree that the 1966 introduction of the Black Panther character was noteworthy.

But that was over a half-century ago. It is now 2018. I suspect a lot of the enthusiasm is forced if not vapid- like the commentators who salivate over <gasp!> black bobsledders in the Olympics. Does anyone believe in 2018 (or earlier) that black folks are somehow incapable of running a bobsled? Whatever. Everybody wants their Jackie Robinson.

So it is with this movie. It's just 51 years too late for such excitement.

Just my opinion. As I said, I like the movie.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:34 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,466,255 times
Big for this movie.

I went to see a fantasy action movie for the fun thrill of the ride and boy did I get plenty of that out of this movie. Mind you, I loved the overall look, feel and beautiful people I felt a connection to, it was still a comic book movie I enjoyed in the realm of similar genre. All I know is I thoroughly enjoyed this movie it was well done and I was way more impressed than I could ever have hoped to be with almost every aspect of it. My only one major complaint was that scarf worn in the end scene by, King T'Challa, something less feminine would have been more suitable for such a man. Just messin.

I am looking forward to buying the dvd even though my daughter lied and told me there were a lot of scenes with glistening wet menfolk I never saw and was a big reason I was looking forward to seeing the movie. Oh well, maybe in a sequel.

Lighten up, there's a whole lot of real world stuff going on to get knickers, (skinny jeans), twisted about.

Last edited by TRosa; 03-06-2018 at 03:46 PM..

Old 03-07-2018, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Quite true. I would agree that comic books qualify as an art form. I would further agree that the 1966 introduction of the Black Panther character was noteworthy.

But that was over a half-century ago. It is now 2018. I suspect a lot of the enthusiasm is forced if not vapid- like the commentators who salivate over <gasp!> black bobsledders in the Olympics. Does anyone believe in 2018 (or earlier) that black folks are somehow incapable of running a bobsled? Whatever. Everybody wants their Jackie Robinson.

So it is with this movie. It's just 51 years too late for such excitement.

Just my opinion. As I said, I like the movie.
Oh, well on that point I agree. As I've said earlier, "We've been here before."

Old 03-07-2018, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Oh, well on that point I agree. As I've said earlier, "We've been here before."
Indeed we have and on a much substantive level.

I would not doubt Sidney Poitier marrying a white girl and Captain Kirk kissing Lt Uhuru raised some eyebrows- in 1967. Now its like, meh. So why would a 51 year black superhero cause ripples?

In other words, are not black people simply normal at this point?

Old 03-07-2018, 07:18 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Indeed we have and on a much substantive level.

I would not doubt Sidney Poitier marrying a white girl and Captain Kirk kissing Lt Uhuru raised some eyebrows- in 1967. Now its like, meh. So why would a 51 year black superhero cause ripples?

In other words, are not black people simply normal at this point?
Yet folks are still asking if the Chinese will turn out to a movie about African heroes at the same rate that the will to a movie about a blond Norse god alien hero. So evidence suggests that we are waiting for Friday for that last bit of data before the book can be closed

Old 03-07-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Yet folks are still asking if the Chinese will turn out to a movie about African heroes at the same rate that the will to a movie about a blond Norse god alien hero. So evidence suggests that we are waiting for Friday for that last bit of data before the book can be closed
I wouldn't expect China to be at the same point in such things as the US (and they're not). But at the same time, they have an entirely different set of sensibilities.

For instance, the Chinese flocked to Coco but continue to be unimpressed by Star Wars. I'd argue that the reason for the former is because the Chinese have ancestor worship in their cultural heritage and the reason for the latter is that they also have glorious empires in their cultural heritage.

There's reason to think that Black Panther could strike a note in China for the same reasons, but it's hard to say.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Somehow I think a country that likes Miles Davis and Michael Jordan will enjoy a movie about a fictional character who just happens to be black.

Now if the superhero were Tibetan, well ....

Old 03-07-2018, 09:13 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,619,873 times
Quote:
Novels traditionally have more text than comic books.
Fixed.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:14 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,619,873 times
Quote:
Methinks that is reading a bit too much into it. It's a comic book.
Your debasement of comic books doesn't disprove what Ralph said. I finally saw the movie and he's on the money. Killmonger's a warlord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies