Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2018, 04:27 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,988,012 times

Advertisements

Okay, Ralph.... I found something that addresses your concerns:

Black Panther - On The Way To Africanness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
Okay, Ralph.... I found something that addresses your concerns:

Black Panther - On The Way To Africanness
Also, as far as "the African-ness portrayed here once again hides a pastiche of cultures and traditions whose distinctiveness seems not to be relevant in Marvel’s eyes"... how does one portray African accurateness for a fictional country?

Old 02-08-2018, 05:06 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
Also, as far as "the African-ness portrayed here once again hides a pastiche of cultures and traditions whose distinctiveness seems not to be relevant in Marvel’s eyes"... how does one portray African accurateness for a fictional country?
As the article indicates, one way is by not mixing known cultures indiscriminately:

1. Setting Wakanda in East Africa, but speaking a Western Africa language (in reality, languages--not dialects, but languages--can vary so intensely that villages only yards away from each other may not understand each other's language.

2. Showing persons wearing items of clothing or accouterments mixing tribes from different sides of the continent.

Now, this could be plausibly explained (although it never was in the comics) by showing that over the generations, the kings of Wakanda deliberately sought out the most intelligent members of tribes from across the continent.

Old 02-08-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Now, this could be plausibly explained (although it never was in the comics) by showing that over the generations, the kings of Wakanda deliberately sought out the most intelligent members of tribes from across the continent.
Well, see... There you go, Ralph. lol

Old 02-08-2018, 06:07 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Has something changed in the last few days here around CD? Since when is the CD demographic offended by allegedly inaccurate portrayals of Africa? This conversation is hilarious. And suspect.

Let's not forget that this is comic book fiction. Not a documentary.

I guess we'll know what real African people think of the movie in a few weeks.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Has something changed in the last few days here around CD? Since when is the CD demographic offended by allegedly inaccurate portrayals of Africa? This conversation is hilarious. And suspect.

Exactly, charlygal.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:45 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I think you’ve won a No Prize!

And maybe the reason the people of Wakanda speak a western African language is that the original founders of the kingdom were migrants from west Africa. How much has Marvel ever told us about Wakanda’s history, after all?

Old 02-08-2018, 07:31 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I think you’ve won a No Prize!
I've been trying for decades to get one of those coveted No-Prizes!

Quote:
And maybe the reason the people of Wakanda speak a western African language is that the original founders of the kingdom were migrants from west Africa. How much has Marvel ever told us about Wakanda’s history, after all?

Old 02-08-2018, 07:53 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,619,873 times
Quote:
The End.

Old 02-09-2018, 05:20 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,941 times
Quote:

Just goes to show, my momma always said "just wait, people's true nature will eventually show if you hang around them for too long".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies