Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 09:18 PM

543 posts, read 943,845 times

Advertisements

A bit of background: I usually don't like superhero movies. I like Batman(88); Batman returns and Batman Begins; 1st Spiderman and that's about it. Today's films I don't even watch and can't keep up.
Onto Zack Snyder who I think is good- I liked 300, especially the awesome opening battle with the arrow shower but not even among the best fimlmmakers working today. He reminded me of Brett Ratner or an intelligent Michael Bay. But I watched Watchmen- without prior knowledge of the book- and I loved it.

Its stylish and very ambient and moody. There's a random scene in the beginning where Rorchach walks into Dr. Manhattan's facility and he slowly shrinks into size with a moody sound mix in the background.Little touches like that. Ozymandias was awesome and I liked the flow of the scenes. It got me into the book which I also enjoyed immensely.

But upon asking friends, or even online, most people either don't remember it much or think its just meh- Forgettable, which I think the film is. It is nowhere as popular as the older Superhero films let alone recent ones like Logan or Black Panther and Nolan films which are critically lauded and break the bank, it just kinda sits outside. Watchmen wasn't even a hit in America.

So what are your thoughts on the film- Anyone like the film as much as I do? I rate it a solid 8/10
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 10:33 PM

240 posts, read 253,919 times
I haven't seen it, but I remember that when it was released it got some attention for being one of the first R-rated superhero films (and I think some people blamed it's lack of success on the rating). Apparently people have short memories as Deadpool was being praised as the first R-rated superhero movie when Watchmen had been out for 7 years.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:06 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,618,718 times
Why, yes, I like Watchmen. A lot. The Director's Cut is even better than the theatrical cut. Check it out.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:13 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Why, yes, I like Watchmen. A lot. The Director's Cut is even better than the theatrical cut. Check it out.
I concur. The DC is even better than the extended cut - with all the animated comic book scenes.

And it gets better with repeat viewings, as all the subtle clues are revealed.
Of course, you may need one viewing with subtitles turned on, just so you can catch the restaurant banter about the "four legged chicken."

Old 02-19-2018, 05:42 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
I was out of the comic book thing by the time the Watchmen was published, so I knew little about it. I really enjoyed it, did not know about the director's cut, I'll have to check it out.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:41 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,035 times
One of the few superhero movies I have watched multiple times. Watchmen in my opinion really transcends the genre far more than even the Chris Nolan Batman films and I also quite enjoyed those. Watchmen is quite disturbing but that makes the message more effective.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:05 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,995 times
I really liked Watchmen and didn't even know there was a director's cut, and only saw the theatrical cut I think. But I would definitely put it on my top 10 superhero movies of all time, perhaps even top five.

But as far as being more transcending than Nolan's Batman movies, that may be but Nolan transcended first, which is why his get more attention I think.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:25 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
A bit of background: I usually don't like superhero movies. I like Batman(88); Batman returns and Batman Begins; 1st Spiderman and that's about it. Today's films I don't even watch and can't keep up.
Onto Zack Snyder who I think is good- I liked 300, especially the awesome opening battle with the arrow shower but not even among the best fimlmmakers working today. He reminded me of Brett Ratner or an intelligent Michael Bay. But I watched Watchmen- without prior knowledge of the book- and I loved it.

Its stylish and very ambient and moody. There's a random scene in the beginning where Rorchach walks into Dr. Manhattan's facility and he slowly shrinks into size with a moody sound mix in the background.Little touches like that. Ozymandias was awesome and I liked the flow of the scenes. It got me into the book which I also enjoyed immensely.

But upon asking friends, or even online, most people either don't remember it much or think its just meh- Forgettable, which I think the film is. It is nowhere as popular as the older Superhero films let alone recent ones like Logan or Black Panther and Nolan films which are critically lauded and break the bank, it just kinda sits outside. Watchmen wasn't even a hit in America.

So what are your thoughts on the film- Anyone like the film as much as I do? I rate it a solid 8/10
It is forgettable by most because it wasn't an action movie, but rather a deep thought (what's it all mean movie) wrapped in Superhero costumes.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:10 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Yes that movie is awesome.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:10 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,684 times
I didn't like the directing style, that over-emphasized slow motion, and especially actors behaving unnaturally, so every shot could look like a comic book panel. It feels like you're watching 2 hours of storyboards.
But it was a good movie. I liked the costume/set design, and Jackie Earle Haley and Billy Crudup's performances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies