Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 06:16 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
LOL.....your comment reminds me of a story (which is only an urban legend/joke I believe) about a stage production of "The Diary of Anne Frank" that was so bad that when the part came where the Nazi's showed up, someone in the audience screamed "She's in the attic!!!"
omg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 02:26 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,601,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Why couldn't she SHARE THE DOOR? Take turns! (I was silently screaming to her) !

Because then he couldn't die for her to show his love, because movie.
Yeah that was painful. Lots of armchair symbolism at the time. Mine tended to be juvenile. Conclusion?

Some girls don't mind being put on a pedestal?

Unused Alternate Ending:

Kate, blowing the whistle, feels guilty for a moment about Jack dying to save her. And then she realizes she can't move because she, and her giant waterlogged full length trench coat she's been unrealistically swimming in, both froze to the door.

Nobody's shooting any eyes out in this Christmas hit.

Old 03-03-2018, 11:45 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,900,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I'm not referring to the movie. ironpony asked if that happened IRL and I said it's a theory, that we don't know either way. It's a possibility.
I suppose it’s possible, but unlikely that they were going full speed since the boilers were still being tested at light usage. I meant to imply, I don’t believe it’s a theory (since there is no supporting evidence), but yes anything is possible. The full speed is only in the movie because it makes for good excitement, and that’s why I posted the exchange between Ismay and Smith from the movie.

During tests of the ship Olympic, Ismay refused to allow them to test the boilers at full steam as he worrried it would damage the boilers and delay future voyages. That was just a year or 2 prior to the Titantic, we have letters and supporting notes for that. I see no reason why he would change his opinion. Ismay probably wasn’t as bad and greedy as the movie made him out to be, which is kind of sad since he was a real person.

Anyway, I wasn’t really meaning to debate something we won’t ever know, I just wanted to clarify what I meant and that it’s unlikely they were going full speed.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:45 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,116,572 times
Have seen this film a couple of times spanning about 10 years. I enjoyed it first time round, purely for the romantic story-arc, and the drama. But it didn't grip me enough to want to watch it again anytime soon after that.

Some ten years later, I watched it on DVD, and yes it's still good, but again I couldn't feel much love for it other than just being a well-made chronicle of a very sad disaster.

Funnily enough, I watched "A Night To Remember" (1958), not so long ago, and that gripped me from start to finish; it somehow felt more real & soulful to my mind.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:57 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
All my friends criticize this part of the movie. Why didn't Jack get on the door then?
Did you not see the part where he tried to get on with her and the thing started to topple over?

Old 03-05-2018, 06:36 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
A masterpiece when compared with "RAISE THE TITANIC" (1980).

Old 03-05-2018, 07:40 PM

8,046 posts, read 10,638,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortmeyer View Post
Still my favorite movie to date. .
Mine too. Love it, still do. It is completely deserving of all the accolades it has ever gotten.

Old 03-14-2020, 09:23 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times
I saw the movie several times and I think that the present day story is the weak link. It would have been better if that had been kept to a minimum and we didn't get to see Rose till the end. That would have made for a more suspenseful drama, where the fate of the two leads was unknown.

Other than that, the movie has great cinematography with cheesy dialogue and an asinine romance plot. It also ignores some historical facts for the sake of melodrama.

For starters, 1st and 3rd class passengers were segregated in all public spaces so there was no way for Jack and Rose to interact with one another in the first place.
3rd class passengers were not actually barred from getting to the boat deck as shown in the movie. What was more often the case was that they were confused during the sinking, as they were not fully made aware of the danger until it became too late.

Last edited by Milky Way Resident; 03-14-2020 at 09:43 PM..

Old 03-14-2020, 10:04 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelie90 View Post
Did you not see the part where he tried to get on with her and the thing started to topple over?
They could have taken turns. But he was being the ultimate gentleman and died saving her.

She was too old, he was too young, her intended was like a cartoon. I wouldn't enjoy it again, but I did when it came out.

Old 03-15-2020, 02:42 AM

11,443 posts, read 626,119 times
I love this movie... I think its much better than the original Titanic movie.... (Not enough action in it)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies