Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 05:35 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
It is one of my favorite movie, I have watched it numerous times. It took a disability and turned into a strength for the main character. I hope there is a sequel.
But this is the problem with the movie, as I felt it didn't turn autism into a strength. He knows martial arts and how to kill people, but lots of people learn that, and you do not have to be autistic to learn that. I felt they were reaching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 06:40 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
I saw it when it first came out on DVD, so probably about a year ago. I can't even remember a single thing about the movie, it wasn't memorable at all.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:48 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I saw it when it first came out on DVD, so probably about a year ago. I can't even remember a single thing about the movie, it wasn't memorable at all.
Same here. It was a decent movie, not at all bad. But, not memorable and unless I have literally nothing else to do and it’s the only thing available to watch, I’ll probably never see it again.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:16 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
it was ok

Old 04-25-2018, 06:15 AM

28,668 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Same here. It was a decent movie, not at all bad. But, not memorable and unless I have literally nothing else to do and it’s the only thing available to watch, I’ll probably never see it again.
Quoted because I felt the same way.

Old 09-08-2019, 12:26 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,618,718 times
Late to the party. I watched it this weekend.

To those of you who found it "boring" or didn't understand why the autism plot point was integral to the film's titular character or theme:

PUT DOWN YOUR FREAKIN' SMARTPHONES AND ACTUALLY WATCH THE MOVIE.

Overall, a very engaging movie that hovers between above average and excellent. Great cast. I always love seeing Anna Kendrick pop up. I had no idea she was in the movie.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:04 AM

28,668 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Late to the party. I watched it this weekend.

To those of you who found it "boring" or didn't understand why the autism plot point was integral to the film's titular character or theme:

PUT DOWN YOUR FREAKIN' SMARTPHONES AND ACTUALLY WATCH THE MOVIE.

Overall, a very engaging movie that hovers between above average and excellent. Great cast. I always love seeing Anna Kendrick pop up. I had no idea she was in the movie.
I thought it was surprisingly entertaining. Maybe that's above average.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:48 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
I enjoyed it but that is because Ben Afleck was in his natural acting range 0-1

Old 09-10-2019, 01:52 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Oh okay, I didn't think the movie was built around the character's autism much, and it just felt like any accountant with assassin training could have been put through this adventure, and the autism didn't seem to add much really, so I found it odd that they had it.
I agree.
The accountant's behavior reminded me more of a guy I know who has Tourette's syndrome than autism. Tourette's has those same compulsive behavior patterns, but not all autistic folks have it.

I also think the character's lack of emotion was way off the mark; the folks I know who have either syndrome are, if anything, more emotional than the average person.

To me, the accountant was a gifted savant psychopath who was neither autistic nor Tourette's, with a strict sense of keeping a routine in everything he did.

It was an interesting character concept though, and Ben Affleck portrays tightly-wound, tense people who keep themselves in tight control pretty well.

His ability to portray that worked very well in Argo, the movie about the Canadian embassy worker who got some American hostages smuggled out of Iran in the 1970s. That character had to keep his emotions under tight control or they could have all been killed.

Old 09-10-2019, 02:21 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,016,445 times
I loved The Accountant! On my list of movies to watch every time I run across it on tv.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies