Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 10:23 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,640,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The movie looks fun, though I can already tell Snyder just can't resist the "cool pose / flex" scenes.
It's more the trailer than anything. I bet there's a lot less of that in the actual movie.

Quote:
It is really nice to see daylight spectacle though. I didn't see any of Snyder's usually brass-tinged, blurry, smoke-filled bad CGI backgrounds.
Dave Bautista turned down another offer to do this movie. He read the script and was all in. Zack made this movie with a green light from Netflix that came with no interference and his own time-table. I can't wait.

Quote:
I'm actually looking forward to this. Looks like a fun popcorn flick. Maybe I'll get THE RUNDOWN or RAMPAGE from the library and have an action-movie night.
The Rundown is a fun flick. By the end, it gets annoying, but the first two-thirds are a good time.

Rampage could have been an epic kaiju film but the script feels very TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2021, 10:33 AM

22,953 posts, read 28,365,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
It's more the trailer than anything. I bet there's a lot less of that in the actual movie.
I admire your optimism.

Quote:
The Rundown is a fun flick. By the end, it gets annoying, but the first two-thirds are a good time.

Rampage could have been an epic kaiju film but the script feels very TV.
They're fun popcorn flicks, not high art. Nothing wrong with that. Not every meal has to be haute cuisine. Sometimes you just want a great bowl of nachos. If Snyder delivers that, I'll be happy.

Old 04-14-2021, 10:50 AM

Rampage had a lot of potential. They threw some money at it, but it didn't spark. In the hands of another studio or production team, it could have been a new franchise.

Old 04-14-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Rampage had a lot of potential. They threw some money at it, but it didn't spark. In the hands of another studio or production team, it could have been a new franchise.
It's a movie about a giant ape fighting a mutant wolf and a giant croc monster. Could it have been better? Yeah. Definitely. But it was still fun. I can handle a certain about dumb in dumb fun as long as the fun delivers.

Old 04-14-2021, 11:34 AM

Quote:
It's a movie about a giant ape fighting a mutant wolf and a giant croc monster. Could it have been better? Yeah. Definitely. But it was still fun. I can handle a certain about dumb in dumb fun as long as the fun delivers.
We just got a movie whose primary sales point is cinema's most famous giant ape taking on cinema's most famous giant lizard. That movie also needed a lot more love, script-wise, especially with regard to how the titular beasts are the same size (the explanation won't float everyone's boat).

Old 04-14-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
We just got a movie whose primary sales point is cinema's most famous giant ape taking on cinema's most famous giant lizard. That movie also needed a lot more love, script-wise, especially with regard to how Kong is Godzilla's size (the explanation won't float everyone's boat).
Yup. GvK was a mess. Very disappointing. It seemed to me like there were 3 entirely different scripts for this movie, but some intern spilled them all and just put the pages back together at random. There were 3 different stories trying to happen in that movie, and none of them were complete or coherent.

Even the fight scenes were disappointing. Way too much neon.

Old 04-14-2021, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Yup. GvK was a mess. Very disappointing. It seemed to me like there were 3 entirely different scripts for this movie, but some intern spilled them all and just put the pages back together at random. There were 3 different stories trying to happen in that movie, and none of them were complete or coherent.

Even the fight scenes were disappointing. Way too much neon.
The arc with Millie and the other two useless characters bit into much screen time and was put there expressly to inject lightheartedness where it simply wasn't necessary. It was MCU-meets-Spy Kids.

Old 04-14-2021, 01:12 PM

Quote:
The arc with Millie and the other two useless characters bit into much screen time and was put there expressly to inject lightheartedness where it simply wasn't necessary. It was MCU-meets-Spy Kids.
There was absolutely no reason for her to be in that story at all --- except that Millie Bobbie Brown is one of the new "it" stars. But it was obvious the screenwriter had no interest in her character's story. It felt very tacked on.

I really liked the first two movies in this series, and I didn't hate SKULL ISLAND. But GvK was a total fumble. It made enough money that it's not beyond possibility that they'll make another movie. But my enthusiasm is gone.

Old 04-14-2021, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I really liked the first two movies in this series, and I didn't hate SKULL ISLAND. But GvK was a total fumble.
Yes. MechaGodzilla wasn't built up enough, either (and the explanation for his going rogue has the integrity of a wet paper towel).

I was more disappointed with Pacific Rim: Uprising, though. I love the first film.

Quote:
It made enough money that it's not beyond possibility that they'll make another movie. But my enthusiasm is gone.
There will probably be another one, but if they don't return to the ethos of the 2014 film or at least GKotM, it won't resonate.

If you haven't watched it, check out Gareth Edwards' first film, Monsters (2010). That's what got him the Godzilla job. He shot it guerrilla style with only two principal actors (Scoot McNairy and Whitney Able) and handled everything: script, direction, production design and visual effects. You won't believe how good it is for a nano-budget film.

Old 04-14-2021, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Yes. MechaGodzilla wasn't built up enough, either (and the explanation for his going rogue has the integrity of a wet paper towel).
Yup. He ended up being Mecha-Darth Maul.

Quote:
I was more disappointed with Pacific Rim: Uprising, though. I love the first film.
Ditto.

Quote:
If you haven't watched it, check out Gareth Edwards' first film, Monsters (2010). That's what got him the Godzilla job. He shot it guerrilla style with only two principal actors (Scoot McNairy and Whitney Able) and handled everything: script, direction, production design and visual effects. You won't believe how good it is for a nano-budget film.
It's been on my To Watch List for ages. I need to get to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies