Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 03:12 PM

892 posts, read 629,625 times

Advertisements

I have only seen a few of films which have received nominations for the Academy Awards. From reading film critic responses to the nominated films and performers, it seems as if the 2 sure bets for winners are Christian Bale as Best Actor for his performance in 'Vice', and Glenn Close for her performance in 'The Wife.' The buzz is that Bale will win for his remarkable physical transformation into Dick Cheney and that Close, who is in her early 70s, will win as a career award.

Amy Adams, in the Supporting Actress category, also for 'Vice', in which she portrayed Lynn Cheney as a tough-as-nails spouse, is viewed by many critics as another safe bet for winning.

What do other posters think about these predictions? Agree? Disagree? Which actors and films are your favorites among those nominated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 09:07 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,949,299 times
Very positive personal article about Olivia Coleman nominated for The Favorite but focusing on her career and new series "The Crown" as mid-life Queen Elizabeth--
Could take that as bit of studio marketing to support her nomination
Did same thing for Laurie Metcalf when she was nominated for LadyBird last year

There are plenty of good/strong/deserved nominations
I was sorry Cooper was not nominated for Star is Born
I think he managed to make a familiar story fairly fresh--
His performance was better than Gaga's IMO because he had a better role to flesh out--
More sympathetic

Bale was great in Vice and so was Adams--the only person Cheney apparently was afraid of WAS his wife Lynne and according to the movie she is the one responsible for most of the negative aspects of the GOP since Nixon...

Close was great--but she usually is--I thought the script was really predictable--
My husband and I saw the "hook" coming from the beginning
And Christian Slater was just too obsequious for words--strike obsequious...

Old 02-12-2019, 07:26 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,421,397 times
Glenn Close
Rachel Weisz, sup
Christian Bale deserves it, but so does Remi Malek
M. Ali was fab for supporting, love Sam, tho
Bradley is just too mean to the media and arrogant to others to get it. He was fab, tho.

Olivia Coleman, oh my, so GOOD!
Best screen play The Favourite
Best picture...whew....too hard.

I loved Star Is Born so much!

Old 02-13-2019, 07:08 AM

27,242 posts, read 13,527,411 times
The BAFTAS usually offer some indication.

The Favourite (7), Roma (4) and Bohemian Rhapsody (2) all did well at the earlier BAFTAS in London on the 10th February.

72nd British Academy Film Awards - Wikipedia

Old 02-14-2019, 10:13 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,421,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The BAFTAS usually offer some indication.

The Favourite (7), Roma (4) and Bohemian Rhapsody (2) all did well at the earlier BAFTAS in London on the 10th February.

72nd British Academy Film Awards - Wikipedia

You're right. But ya just never know....Darn, have not seen Roma yet...but I will now!
The Favourite was just so well done in so many many ways...a diff type of film...and not mentioned enough...the music!
Bohemian ..oh my ...incredible job.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:29 AM

4,985 posts, read 3,976,445 times
well, my wife won our Super Bowl pool without watching the NFL.....
so...having seen none of the movies, i will post my predictions:

Picture: Roma.
Actor: Rami.
Actress: Olivia.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:29 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,585,108 times
See my post #11 in the Green Book thread (covers all of the 'major' categories).

I prefer to look at it as 'Who I think should win', rather than who will win.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:41 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,632,524 times
I predict that Rami Malek will win for Best Actor, but I wouldn’t be upset if Christian Bale won. I just haven’t actually seen Vice.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:17 AM

27,242 posts, read 13,527,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
You're right. But ya just never know....Darn, have not seen Roma yet...but I will now!
The Favourite was just so well done in so many many ways...a diff type of film...and not mentioned enough...the music!
Bohemian ..oh my ...incredible job.
The Baftas and Oscars usually are not radically different when it comes to the main awards.

Although in 1991 'Goodfellas' was awarded five Baftas and was named best film, however other than best supporting actor the Oscars largely overlooked the film and in terms of best film chose Dances with Wolves starring Kevin Costner.

So they can sometimes be very different, but this is the exception rather than the rule.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:21 AM

26,764 posts, read 26,890,587 times
Oscar predictions: Which acting category could see an upset?

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...212-story.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies