Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2019, 11:54 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,973,594 times

Advertisements

The amount of Marvel stands to make for the Avengers franchise is simply staggering. The numbers were already gigantic before introducing the trifecta of:
1) Black Panther stand alone features - wasn't that one of the mega surprises of 2018"
2) Captain Marvel is also doing exceedingly well.
3) The concept of all the Avengers fighting a stronger evil force seems irresistible for global audiences. Endgame is quite likely going to wind up in the Top 3 of all time. Pretty hallowed air up there.

Thor movies would seem to be gaining momentum while Iron Man's future is "up in the air"? Iron Man is what got it all going in such a big way.

Cue Mark S. to note that he doesn't like Thor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 12:31 PM

22,938 posts, read 28,322,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Happy to help. Thor is silly!

Old 05-04-2019, 01:06 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,896,872 times
Quote:
The amount of Marvel stands to make for the Avengers franchise is simply staggering. The numbers were already gigantic before introducing the trifecta of:
1) Black Panther stand alone features - wasn't that one of the mega surprises of 2018"
2) Captain Marvel is also doing exceedingly well.
3) The concept of all the Avengers fighting a stronger evil force seems irresistible for global audiences. Endgame is quite likely going to wind up in the Top 3 of all time. Pretty hallowed air up there.

Thor movies would seem to be gaining momentum while Iron Man's future is "up in the air"? Iron Man is what got it all going in such a big way.

It is staggering. Although, I think some of the most recent films (around Infinity War/Endgame) benefited a little by being so close to the finales. People felt like they needed to go so them before either of the finale movies. Now that the chapter is closed, I wonder how the next slate of Phase 4 films will do as they essentially have to restart the momentum. Even subjectively, I feel like I have lost a good amount of steam with the movies after the conclusion of Endgame, which was such a great ‘final’ movie. I will definitely watch the Phase 4 movies, but may wait until dvd/blue ray.

Old 05-04-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

I'll see your selective image and raise you a 4 minute video. Viewers may draw their own conclusions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihjx3mX75y8

Old 05-04-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
It is staggering. Although, I think some of the most recent films (around Infinity War/Endgame) benefited a little by being so close to the finales. People felt like they needed to go so them before either of the finale movies. Now that the chapter is closed, I wonder how the next slate of Phase 4 films will do as they essentially have to restart the momentum. Even subjectively, I feel like I have lost a good amount of steam with the movies after the conclusion of Endgame, which was such a great ‘final’ movie. I will definitely watch the Phase 4 movies, but may wait until dvd/blue ray.
Having tasted a billion dollars I'll bet they will re-invent things with new world destroying villains. I think Marvel already has at least a dozen villains as powerful and menacing as Thanos. Take Galactacus - he devours planets for the energy he needs to function.

Thanos isn't 100% evil - not even close. He feels that overpopulation can and does destroy planets. He is trying to make things better. Villains don't normally shed tears and feel empathy and show mercy - at times.

Averaging two movies per planet destroying villain, Marvel is set for at least a generation. Their CEO makes a reported $60,000,000/year. Betting he wants more yachts and supercars and mansions and ranches.

Who would resist? And why?

Old 05-04-2019, 01:53 PM

28,692 posts, read 18,842,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
And by recognizing that Thor is silly, Marvel has capitalized on it "bigly."

Old 05-04-2019, 02:40 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,631,528 times
Quote:
I'll see your selective image and raise you a 4 minute video. Viewers may draw their own conclusions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihjx3mX75y8
The opening scene and that one should have set the tone for the entire film. Too much comedy.

Old 05-04-2019, 07:20 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,896,872 times
Default Endgame crosses $2 Billion globally

https://variety.com/2019/film/box-of...ls-1203205145/

Looks like Endgame had a great second-wave weekend, and reached the $2 billion mark globally. It pretty certain that it will end up at least second all-time in terms of gross sales (not controlling for inflation). It will be interesting to see if it can overtake Avatar. It is crazy because I honestly don't remember nearly as much buzz or fandom following for Avatar, although social media wasn't nearly as advanced or pervasive as it is now (so I guess it's possible it was a bigger blockbuster than it seemed like, which is even more impressive).

Old 05-04-2019, 08:10 PM

12,402 posts, read 8,186,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
https://variety.com/2019/film/box-of...ls-1203205145/

Looks like Endgame had a great second-wave weekend, and reached the $2 billion mark globally. It pretty certain that it will end up at least second all-time in terms of gross sales (not controlling for inflation). It will be interesting to see if it can overtake Avatar. It is crazy because I honestly don't remember nearly as much buzz or fandom following for Avatar, although social media wasn't nearly as advanced or pervasive as it is now (so I guess it's possible it was a bigger blockbuster than it seemed like, which is even more impressive).
It wasn't fandom that drove the record in Avatar's case but rather the entire world being told it was a breakthrough in 3D technology which everyone had to go see for themselves. Thus nobody was waiting for home video and they paid the premium to see it in IMAX and 3D where possible.

But since we all saw and have been getting everything, with a 3D option since then the long awaited sequel of an Avatar cinematic universe won't draw like the rebirth of Star Wars did.

Old 05-04-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
It wasn't fandom that drove the record in Avatar's case but rather the entire world being told it was a breakthrough in 3D technology which everyone had to go see for themselves. Thus nobody was waiting for home video and they paid the premium to see it in IMAX and 3D where possible.

But since we all saw and have been getting everything, with a 3D option since then the long awaited sequel of an Avatar cinematic universe won't draw like the rebirth of Star Wars did.

I'll bet a quarter it does. People have been waiting for a decade now. They are going to blow us away - again. That is why it is taking so long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies