Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 08:29 PM

9,523 posts, read 16,503,270 times

Advertisements

So I have to subscribe to Apple TV to watch this. I'd like to watch this movie, but don't really want a Apple tv subscription. So what do people do. Join Apple and then canx after they watch what they want?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 09:28 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
Read the book from which this movie is based. The Good Shepherd, CS Forester, 1955. Forester also wrote Hornblower, Sink the Bismark, the Gun, and others that were made into movies. I read this when I an early middle schooler and was reading the Horatio Hornblower series. Great fun the 2nd time. I will have to wait for general release before I view the movie.

Old 07-11-2020, 04:24 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
So I have to subscribe to Apple TV to watch this. I'd like to watch this movie, but don't really want a Apple tv subscription. So what do people do. Join Apple and then canx after they watch what they want?

We just joined AppleTV to watch this movie. Didn't see anything else in their catalog that we were interested in, so yeah, we'll canx.

Old 07-11-2020, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Read the book from which this movie is based. The Good Shepherd, CS Forester, 1955. Forester also wrote Hornblower, Sink the Bismark, the Gun, and others that were made into movies. I read this when I an early middle schooler and was reading the Horatio Hornblower series. Great fun the 2nd time. I will have to wait for general release before I view the movie.

There will probably never be a "general release." It may wind up on Netflix or Amazon Prime in another couple of years.

Old 07-11-2020, 04:46 AM

Saw the movie last night.

I agree with most critics that there is very little characterization in the movie, and it doesn't make significant use of some of the very good acting talent that they hired, such as Elizabeth Shue, Steven Graham, and Rob Morgan. There should have been more story for those three, and it's rather apparent that we're missing something. They're set up as though there is going to be some plot line about them...but it never comes.

If one wishes to discern more from glances and grimaces, one can do that. Hanks certainly does enough glancing and grimacing. The primary character point is that we have a new commander who is too old to be so green. He knows it, and the knowledge that he's too green for his rank and position, not as competent as he should be for his rank and position, weighs heavily on him.

Otherwise, it's basically a naval combat action flick: Forty-eight hours of hell at sea. I'm not a CGI nerd...I thought it was effective enough. They could have left out the German radio heckling...I doubt that happened at sea. But there are a lot of realistic-looking visual points about naval bridge operations that are very interesting.

A couple of points that reminded me of U-571. The first point is that African-American sailors are used historically properly in this movie (unlike U-571). African-American sailors were normally primarily rated as stewards and cooks, with secondary combat duties when the ship was in critical danger. That was the real feature of US Navy segregation at the time, and this movie portrays it as it was.

The second point is that when the commanding officer had to get advice from his much more experienced executive officer, he made sure none of the sailors heard it. That harkened back to U-571 when the Chief of the Boat (the most senior enlisted sailor) had to angrily chew out his commanding officer for being too honest with the crew about his inexperience: "These men have to obey your orders to the death...don't you ever tell them you don't know what you're doing!"

These criticisms are not to say the movie did not engage me. I thought the battle was quite riveting. But it clearly missed heights it could have reached with more character drama. I think it's best that it was released in streaming format, although it looks good on a big screen.

Old 07-11-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
We just joined AppleTV to watch this movie. Didn't see anything else in their catalog that we were interested in, so yeah, we'll canx.
Thanks. I think I will go an subscribe to Apple so I can see this movie. Then I will canx. I'm surprised Apple and the rest of them have free trials. Surely they know people are going to canx in droves, after the trial period ends.

Old 07-13-2020, 12:57 AM

3,827 posts, read 1,780,418 times
Is apple t.v. similar to netflix and prime? Easy to sign up or cancel? I'd still like to see greyhound and not sure if there will be a different format for release.

Old 07-14-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Is apple t.v. similar to netflix and prime? Easy to sign up or cancel? I'd still like to see greyhound and not sure if there will be a different format for release.
I will let you know because I just signed up today and watched Greyhound. The movie was a good movie, nothing great but I enjoyed it. It definitely is a movie that needs to be on the Big Screen. As for Apple TV. It doesn't seem to offer much programming. So I will watch one other show I think I might enjoy, and then cancel it.

Old 07-14-2020, 06:11 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
Ralph-Kirk comments.
Capt Krause was a career officer, USNaval Academy. He was "fitted and retained" on one of his fitness reports which consequently held him back in advancing. However, the years in-between the wars were not kind to professional officers.
But his long standing as a junior ranked officer enabled him to perfect leadership and how to win in a fight. The two-three days of fighting was more than a captain of an aircraft carrier would see in 4 years.

The Good Shepherd, does not go into any details of personal life and minimally in character. A good action thriller.
Horatio Hornblower (CS Forester), Richard Sharpe (Bernard Cornwell), Sam Damon (Anton Meyers), are true heroic figures who initially were held back but later proved themselves far beyond expectations. They are a type of men that you will follow into battle.

Hope to see this on the big screen. I may want to see this on streaming but even in high tech Redmond Wa, we have slow downs and outright loss of internet. Fiber lines too.

Old 07-15-2020, 12:18 AM

3,827 posts, read 1,780,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I will let you know because I just signed up today and watched Greyhound. The movie was a good movie, nothing great but I enjoyed it. It definitely is a movie that needs to be on the Big Screen. As for Apple TV. It doesn't seem to offer much programming. So I will watch one other show I think I might enjoy, and then cancel it.

Thanks

Bummer that you didn't seem to like the film. Usually Tom Hanks movies are pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies