Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 07:54 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,579,134 times

Advertisements

Tom Hanks may be one of the best actors in history, but the real Tom Hanks is an entirely different man altogether. He made headlines today calling Mormons “un-American” because they actively supported Proposition 8, a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage.

Big Hollywood » Blog Archive » Why Does Tom Hanks Single Out Mormons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 09:08 AM

178 posts, read 403,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Tom Hanks may be one of the best actors in history, but the real Tom Hanks is an entirely different man altogether. He made headlines today calling Mormons “un-American” because they actively supported Proposition 8, a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage.

Big Hollywood » Blog Archive » Why Does Tom Hanks Single Out Mormons?
Tom Hanks, and others of his standing in the entertainment business, have a duty to those who are in control of the industry to spread the un-Godly message to the masses so as to confuse and/or convince the majority of the population that these are forward-thinking, complex modern progressive thoughts which we should all strive to achieve.

He and others are either "useful idiots" (not my term) or willing participants in-the-know who do the bidding of their masters in exchange for the priveleged life of fame and fortune they are living. Are there any superstars who acknowledge and spread the true gospel of Christ Jesus? Why not? I submit that it is because the true gospel runs completely counter to those who are in control of the "entertainment" we are bombarded with.

I am not a mormon nor do I support the mormon religion. The sanctity of biblical marriage should be defended however. Proposition 8 is an attempt to get "man's" law to abide by God's Law. This has shown to be a futile effort throughout history. Bondservants of Christ are not subject to man's law. We have dominion over the earth and all things created by man (governments, fictions in law, constitutions, etc.). This dominion was given to us by Almighty God, our Father in heaven. Recognize this authority and apply it to your life and the wordly babble of an actor means nothing. Seek the Kingdom of God and His word above all others.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:21 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,016,755 times
You know, this is exactly the type of thing that set's non-Christian's teeth to gnashing. The quote Mr Hanks used in your post was taken quite out of context and really only singled out LDS because it involves a TV project he is working on. Yes, there are many celebrities who have different political ideas and beliefs than I do, but not all of them are out to ruin the world! We hear about their words and ideas more because of the media but not because they are all a bunch of evil sinners who hate religion. They are humans.

Tom Hanks may or may not be a wonderful man. I doubt anyone on this forum knows him personally. From what we do hear he is a good family man and has never been involved in illegal or anti-American activities. And in his comments about LDS he was speaking about the extreme off-shoot of Mormonism...which unclude polygamy, incest, child abuse and a type of slavery.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:33 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,094 times
Church spokesman Scott Trotter issued a one-sentence statement today in response to Hanks' comments. It reads: "Expressing an opinion in a free and democratic society is as American as it gets."

ksl.com - Tom Hanks calls LDS Church's support of Prop. 8 ‘un-American'

Old 01-17-2009, 11:37 AM

178 posts, read 403,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
You know, this is exactly the type of thing that set's non-Christian's teeth to gnashing. The quote Mr Hanks used in your post was taken quite out of context and really only singled out LDS because it involves a TV project he is working on.

Tom Hanks may or may not be a wonderful man. I doubt anyone on this forum knows him personally. From what we do hear he is a good family man and has never been involved in illegal or anti-American activities. And in his comments about LDS he was speaking about the extreme off-shoot of Mormonism...which unclude polygamy, incest, child abuse and a type of slavery.
Here is his quote.

“The truth is this takes place in Utah, the truth is these people are some bizarre offshoot of the Mormon Church, and the truth is a lot of Mormons gave a lot of money to the church to make Prop-8 happen,” he told Tarts. “There are a lot of people who feel that is un-American, and I am one of them. I do not like to see any discrimination codified on any piece of paper, any of the 50 states in America, but here's what happens now. A little bit of light can be shed, and people can see who's responsible, and that can motivate the next go around of our self correcting Constitution, and hopefully we can move forward instead of backwards. So let's have faith in not only the American, but Californian, constitutional process.”

What I take from this is he feels anyone who tries to "make Prop-8 happen" is "un-American", not only mormons who he mentions in this quote. So therefore, he supports gay marriage, which is well within his "right" as an american. The right to oppose gay marriage is well within one's "right" as an american. So if he chooses to abide by the democratic process and let the people decide whether or not a Proposition should be passed, then how is this un-american? This is the nature of a democracy, 51% of the population decides what the other 49% must do or accept. Unfortunately, people seem to forget this country is a constitutional republic, not a democracy. Democratic processes are used to elect the representatives and the president, however each state is a sovereign "country" and each one of the people are sovereigns over the government which the people created. The created cannot be sovereign over the creator. So to say trying to "make Prop-8 happen" is "un-american" is foolish and non-sensical. Tom Hanks is obviously a willing participant in the democratic process, so, let it happen and stop calling others un-american for participating in the opposite camp.

So, let's get to the real issue. Should any of this matter to followers of Christ? Do we need a "prop-8" to tell us gay marriage is un-biblical and against God's Law? Man's law will never conform to God's Law so it's a waste of time listening to Tom Hanks or anyone else who lobbies for un-Godly principles. Did Jesus or the apostles get involved in the Roman political process to change Caesar's laws, or did they just preach and minister to those who would listen about the only Law that matters, the Law of our Father in heaven?

As to this...

Quote:
Yes, there are many celebrities who have different political ideas and beliefs than I do, but not all of them are out to ruin the world! We hear about their words and ideas more because of the media but not because they are all a bunch of evil sinners who hate religion. They are humans.
My post spoke of two different camps, first the "useful idiots" (again, not my term) who actually believe in what they say and put forth, and second, those in-the-know who are willing participants in an active campaign by those in power to confuse and/or convince the masses that man's law reigns supreme even when it goes against the Law of God. Which camp does Tom Hanks belong to? I don't know, but my guess is the higher you go, the more these people are willingly and actively involved.

P.S. Blackmail is also a tactic used to get people to go along with the program. This could be considered a third camp, but because one can choose to be exposed and repent, I believe they still belong to the second camp.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:37 AM

1 posts, read 7,680 times
Quote:
You know, this is exactly the type of thing that set's non-Christian's teeth to gnashing. The quote Mr Hanks used in your post was taken quite out of context and really only singled out LDS because it involves a TV project he is working on. Yes, there are many celebrities who have different political ideas and beliefs than I do, but not all of them are out to ruin the world! We hear about their words and ideas more because of the media but not because they are all a bunch of evil sinners who hate religion. They are humans.

Um... First of all, I'm a Mormon. And we do NOT practice polygamy. That's called FLDS. And we do not do incest or beat children or have slaves. Maybe you should do more research or even attend a Mormon church meeting. Everyone is alwas welcome. I'm really pissed off at people thinking we're a cult. with all these horrible things being practiced in our RELIGION! Because we have one spouse per person and that is it. And, like every other family in the world, some mormon families can be abusive, but some also love and take care of their families. Bottom line, we Mormons are humans just like everyone else and we deserve respect.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:38 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,931,619 times
I was wondering does anyone know...
How many Countries of the world
have equal marriage-rights for gays?

Old 04-12-2012, 12:42 PM

294 posts, read 191,672 times
I was wondering how many pages did babybottlepop have to dig through before he/she finally found this 5 post, three yr old thread to respond to?

Old 04-12-2012, 02:05 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babybottlepop View Post
Um... First of all, I'm a Mormon. And we do NOT practice polygamy. That's called FLDS.
Did you know that the FLDS call themselves Fundamentalist Mormons? Actually there are a number of off-shoots of the Brighamite branch of church Joseph Smith founded that call themselves Mormon.

So, much to the chagrin of the LDS Church headquartered in Salt Lake City, they do not have a monopoly over the term or any kind of exclusive authority over who uses the term Mormon to refer to themselves.

So, one can properly speak of the branch of Mormonism that still practices plural marriage. I personally would not say it in that way as it might cause confusion, but it is technically an acceptable way to use the term Mormon.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:21 PM

114 posts, read 112,645 times
Why again should anyone care what some actor says?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality