Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 06:16 AM

1,584 posts, read 986,616 times

Advertisements

I've seen it a couple times, all as an adult. It's a good film, if a tad bloated and self-indulgent. Still well worth watching, though -- there's lots worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 02:45 PM

10,381 posts, read 8,030,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Some of the soviet stuff really doesn't hold up today. "The Personal doesn't matter" or however that saying goes. I am sure that at the time, many people thought that their personal misery did matter and had no thought for the collective.
Yes, but the character who says that line is a True Believer, remember. He's devoted himself to the party because he's come to believe in the truth of Marxism, and that the needs of the group outweigh the petty needs of any single individual - and in the end, he's destroyed by the very thing political system he had come to see as the Answer to All Human Problems. In that context, his uttering that line is quite believable.

Old 04-30-2020, 05:19 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,206,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Yes, but the character who says that line is a True Believer, remember. He's devoted himself to the party because he's come to believe in the truth of Marxism, and that the needs of the group outweigh the petty needs of any single individual - and in the end, he's destroyed by the very thing political system he had come to see as the Answer to All Human Problems. In that context, his uttering that line is quite believable.
The actual line is :
Quote:
The personal life is dead in Russia. History has killed it.
I took it to mean that Strelnikov was saying that the events of the revolution were so all consuming, thoughts of self had become self indulgent irrelevancies. I say this as a supplement to, not a replacement for, your explanation which is also valid.

Old 05-02-2020, 02:23 PM

5,264 posts, read 3,628,749 times
I would suggest that after you watch it that you watch "Reds" fairly soon after. It too is an epic story about love & politics during a turbulent historical time in Russia & told very well. The characters in "Reds" are based on real people though, that would add a different perspective too.

Old 05-03-2020, 01:41 PM

51,033 posts, read 24,537,935 times
How did any of you feel about the miniseries version of story from 2002 (British)?

Old 05-04-2020, 02:24 PM

1,456 posts, read 518,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
How did any of you feel about the miniseries version of story from 2002 (British)?
I haven't seen it. But I've seen War and Peace with Paul Dano, which I thought was tremendous.

Old 05-04-2020, 04:36 PM

15,608 posts, read 15,740,822 times
You would definitely find it more interesting as an adult than as a child. On the other hand, it would grab you less when you're watching it at home on a smaller screen. It's not a great movie, but it's certainly a sweeping epic and meant for a theater.

Old 05-05-2020, 08:07 AM

6,458 posts, read 4,971,796 times
I saw it as a 15 year old and loved every boring minute. Its far superior IMHO to the crap that comes out of Hollywood now with CGI and any and everyone is an actor. This was a classic in the true Hollywood sense. Fabulous acting with an all star cast headed by incredibly handsome Omar Sharif as Yuri Zhivago and the exquisite Julie Christie as Lara Antipova. The supporting cast includes Geraldine Chaplin, Rod Steiger, Alec Guinness (Obi Wan), Tom Courtenay and Ralph Richardson. One of the all time great scores by Maurice Jarre, one of the all time great directors David Lean and one of the all time great cinematographers Freddie Young. A true classic, we will never see the likes of again.

Old 05-05-2020, 11:01 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,206,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I saw it as a 15 year old and loved every boring minute. Its far superior IMHO to the crap that comes out of Hollywood now with CGI and any and everyone is an actor. This was a classic in the true Hollywood sense. Fabulous acting with an all star cast headed by incredibly handsome Omar Sharif as Yuri Zhivago and the exquisite Julie Christie as Lara Antipova. The supporting cast includes Geraldine Chaplin, Rod Steiger, Alec Guinness (Obi Wan), Tom Courtenay and Ralph Richardson. One of the all time great scores by Maurice Jarre, one of the all time great directors David Lean and one of the all time great cinematographers Freddie Young. A true classic, we will never see the likes of again.
I agree with what you have written above, but it reminds me that an assemblage of great talent isn't always enough. The prime example of this is the 1966 effort "The Chase."

Cast? Marlon Brando, Jane Fonda, Robert Redford, Robert Duval and E.G. Marshall among others.

Direction? Arthur Penn (Bonnie and Clyde)

Screenplay? Lillian Hellman (Watch on the Rhine, The Autumn Garden, Toys in the Attic, Another Part of the Forest, The Children's Hour, The Little Foxes)

For all this talent, a mediocre film was the result, tepid reviews and box office failure.

Old 05-06-2020, 01:18 PM

51,033 posts, read 24,537,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
To update my own post...it happens to be on Amazon Prime and I started watching it. Flat, uninteresting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies