Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 12:43 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,167,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I prefer the narrated version as well. Just a great flick and being a big Rutger Hauer fan was icing on the cake. One of my all time favorites.

"Wake up, time to die!"
The experience seems more sublime without, but that's a cheat since I'd seen it who knows how many times with before the "Final" or "Definitive" Cut or whatever they call latest.

PS: "Sunshine (2007)" is another of those sublime films that bombed just about everywhere, but is well-paced and highly thoughtful. Loved it, and often makes best-of-genre "Top 50" lists as something of a sleeper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2020, 01:29 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,635,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Sure, and both Scott and Kubrick share the same fault: While their movies are visual masterpieces, oftentimes the story falls flat.
Not where A Clockwork Orange and The Shining are concerned, IMO.

As for Eyes Wide Shut, apart from one really good scene/sequence, the rest of the movie feels like something that's beneath Kubrick.

Old 10-31-2020, 06:40 PM

22,945 posts, read 28,342,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Not where A Clockwork Orange and The Shining are concerned, IMO.
A Clockwork Orange is great. Horrifying, but great. Still holds up.

The Shining ... ? As a mood piece, it's definitely scary. No one could combine visuals with music and sound like Kubrick to create mood. Who knew the combination of a Big Wheel, hardwood, and rugs could be so freakin' unsettling? Genius. But as a story it is severely lacking. Jacks looks bat-poo crazy in scene one. He gets bat-poo crazier. Then goes bat-poo craziest. In between, he types.

Quote:
As for Eyes Wide Shut, apart from one really good scene/sequence, the rest of the movie feels like something that's beneath Kubrick.
I actually quite like Eyes Wide Shut. It's not perfect, but it's one of Kubrick's most under-appreciated films. I think it's actually his scariest movie, but the scares are a lot more subtle. Some are a lot harder to pick up on, but they stuck with me longer than anything in The Shining.

Full Metal Jacket was the only bad Kubrick movie I ever saw --- though watching it with my Vietnam-vet dad was truly hilarious. I think he entertained the theater audience more than the movie did.

Old 11-01-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I actually quite like Eyes Wide Shut.
Color me shocked. I guess you do enjoy some gratuitous nudity, then. I figured you hated every frame of that movie.

Old 11-01-2020, 02:39 PM

5,475 posts, read 8,208,681 times
Quote:
I liked Eyes Wide Shut.

Old 11-01-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
I liked Eyes Wide Shut.
That's fine. I like many films others consider subpar.

As an aside, EWS rates lower than any of the other films Stanley made after 1955, Lolita included.

Old 11-01-2020, 05:20 PM

22,945 posts, read 28,342,995 times
Quote:
Color me shocked. I guess you do enjoy some gratuitous nudity, then. I figured you hated every frame of that movie.
I remember when the move was being released, the only thing that got any attention was all the nudity. But it isn't an erotic film at all. The sex and nudity in that movie are all super super creepy. Anyone who is turned on by the sex in that movie is a perv.

Old 11-01-2020, 05:26 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,575,737 times
It was a B movie with A-list stars.

Old 11-01-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
It was a B movie with A-list stars.
A fair assessment.

Old 11-12-2020, 01:33 PM

29,611 posts, read 14,748,201 times
Funny seeing this thread. I just watched Blade Runner for like the 10th time the other day. I remember seeing it when I was a kid, and thought it was meh, the effects were good for the day though. Then, I read the book and watched it again as an adult. I had a totally different reaction to it.
I agree, it is one , if not the best science fiction movies at least for me. Blade Runner 2045 was awesome as well. I have to rewatch 2001, again, I was kid the last time I saw it.

I think the Blade Runners and Logan's Run are probably my all out favorite science fiction movies. Followed by Oblivion, Minority Report, the Black Hole, Event Horizon and Edge of Tomorrow.
Star Wars and films like that are entertaining but in a different category, I think. The Thing (both '82 and '11) were really good though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies