Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 11:39 AM

10,451 posts, read 4,035,751 times

Advertisements

When I watched this movie so long ago, I assumed the part where the little girl finds out she was dying from being poisoned was because her stepmother was a gold digger and was trying to eliminate the girl and her sister so she would be the sole beneficiary to her husbands fortune. Now people are saying that this was the real mother who was poisoning her daughter for the attention. I just don't believe it and still think my former assumption is the real story.

So what do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2020, 11:53 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,021,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
When I watched this movie so long ago, I assumed the part where the little girl finds out she was dying from being poisoned was because her stepmother was a gold digger and was trying to eliminate the girl and her sister so she would be the sole beneficiary to her husbands fortune. Now people are saying that this was the real mother who was poisoning her daughter for the attention. I just don't believe it and still think my former assumption is the real story.

Munchausen by proxy.

Old 10-18-2020, 11:56 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,197,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Munchausen by proxy.
That's it.

Old 10-18-2020, 12:17 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Munchausen by proxy.
Bingo!

Old 10-18-2020, 01:33 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,158,416 times
Quote:

I think you need to educate yourself.

It's called Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy.

The mother and her husband are the parents of both little girls.

The mother has a mental illness that manifests itself in such a way that she craves the attention lavished on her due to her sick child.

It is not rare, but it is infrequent. It is almost always women, although I believe there have been a few instances where it was a man.

Decades ago, prosecutors had a very difficult time getting convictions for murder or aggravated assault because jurors just couldn't wrap their brains around the fact that someone would intentionally make a child sick in order to revel in the attention.

However, of late, there have been a number of high profile cases and so people are more aware.

Also, decades ago, the technology simply did not exist to permit ready discovery. Blood tests in the 1970s are nothing like blood tests today, and doctors weren't even aware of MSBP, but today they are educated on it in medical school and so have a higher likelihood of detecting it earlier to prevent further harm or death.

The victims are almost always children, but there have been cases where women "poisoned" one of their parents, siblings or other family member to whom they were providing care.

I personally have never investigated a case of MSBP, and I don't think I know anyone who has.

Old 10-18-2020, 03:33 PM

10,451 posts, read 4,035,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I think you need to educate yourself.

It's called Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy.

The mother and her husband are the parents of both little girls.

The mother has a mental illness that manifests itself in such a way that she craves the attention lavished on her due to her sick child.

It is not rare, but it is infrequent. It is almost always women, although I believe there have been a few instances where it was a man.

Decades ago, prosecutors had a very difficult time getting convictions for murder or aggravated assault because jurors just couldn't wrap their brains around the fact that someone would intentionally make a child sick in order to revel in the attention.

However, of late, there have been a number of high profile cases and so people are more aware.

Also, decades ago, the technology simply did not exist to permit ready discovery. Blood tests in the 1970s are nothing like blood tests today, and doctors weren't even aware of MSBP, but today they are educated on it in medical school and so have a higher likelihood of detecting it earlier to prevent further harm or death.

The victims are almost always children, but there have been cases where women "poisoned" one of their parents, siblings or other family member to whom they were providing care.

I personally have never investigated a case of MSBP, and I don't think I know anyone who has.
How do you know for sure? Not once does the girl call her mom.

Old 10-18-2020, 03:49 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,197,756 times
Quote:
How do you know for sure? Not once does the girl call her mom.
It's a pretty straightforward scene for anyone who understands MBP. Really. in fact, it's close to being a clinical documentary about it.

But you're free to reinterpret it as you like.

Old 10-19-2020, 06:38 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,124,411 times
I always presumed it was the mom and it was Munchausen's by proxy. No other theory even entered my mind about it.

Old 10-19-2020, 04:15 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,859,470 times
I'd never even heard about this syndrome before this movie.

Last edited by OzzyRules; 10-19-2020 at 04:23 PM..

Old 10-19-2020, 04:20 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I always presumed it was the mom and it was Munchausen's by proxy. No other theory even entered my mind about it.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies