Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2022, 10:45 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Thea average price of a movie ticket is approximately $10. Small popcorn = $6.50. Regular bottle of water = $4.50. That's a minimum cost for my movie experience of $21.

Most of my life I was an avid movie-goer...at least once a month, usually more. I'm a retiree with no financial concerns whatsoever. Could easily afford to go to the movie weekly. So it's not about what can I afford, but rather what do I prefer to spend money on. And $21 for a movie is not worth it, when I can screen very recent films at home for $5, eat whatever I want, get up and go to the bathroom whenever I want without missing anything, not have to watch other patrons watching their smart phones, sit next to a guy who is farting or coughing and wheezing, and do it all anytime I want. Sorry movie theaters...you lose.
Yup. On the one hand, I do sympathize with theaters. The studios really take advantage of them. You may be paying $10 for a movie ticket --- and $5.55 of that is likely going to the studio, not the theater.

On the other hand, most theaters are still doing business like it's 1995. Like any business, they must change or die. The world has moved on, and most theaters haven't. It's going to be a near miracle if theaters are still around 15 years from now.

We went to see JAWS in IMAX a couple of weeks ago. It was great experience. I loved it. But there were 7 people in the theater (including us). That just isn't a sustainable business model.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2022, 11:55 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
I went to an AMC the other day it is was fantastic. Go visit your local AMC if you want to have a great time.

Old 09-23-2022, 01:42 PM

26,217 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Thea average price of a movie ticket is approximately $10. Small popcorn = $6.50. Regular bottle of water = $4.50. That's a minimum cost for my movie experience of $21.

Most of my life I was an avid movie-goer...at least once a month, usually more. I'm a retiree with no financial concerns whatsoever. Could easily afford to go to the movie weekly. So it's not about what can I afford, but rather what do I prefer to spend money on. And $21 for a movie is not worth it, when I can screen very recent films at home for $5, eat whatever I want, get up and go to the bathroom whenever I want without missing anything, not have to watch other patrons watching their smart phones, sit next to a guy who is farting or coughing and wheezing, and do it all anytime I want. Sorry movie theaters...you lose.
Bingo! Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Winner Winner

Same reason we avoid the movie houses, no matter how nice some have become with reclining, cup-holder seating, etc.

The boorish behavior of our fellow citizens, plus a bad valuation proposition at movie houses, make home viewing the way to go for many people, especially with my "senior bladder" and frequent trips to the loo and mine is clean and has a dry floor. Same situation with sporting events and drunk fans; I'll watch the games on TV, not pay $40 to park, or $12 for a beer. Movie goers and sports fans need to vote with their feet and stay home.

FWIW: Regal Cinemas is owned by billionaire Philip Anschutz who owns the 5-star Broadmoor Resort in Colorado Springs, the Staples Center in L.A., the L.A. Live complex, owns 120 various venues, owns the L.A. Kings and part of the L.A. Lakers, owned the Southern Pacific RR, represents Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, Carrie Underwood and promotes their concert tours, and has the contract to be concessionaire in many National Parks, not to mention even more. Too much and never enough. Filing for bankruptcy is usually a ploy to skip out on paying debts and foist the costs onto banks and/or taxpayers.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-23-2022 at 01:51 PM..

Old 09-24-2022, 12:13 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Bingo! Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Winner Winner

Same reason we avoid the movie houses, no matter how nice some have become with reclining, cup-holder seating, etc.

The boorish behavior of our fellow citizens, plus a bad valuation proposition at movie houses, make home viewing the way to go for many people, especially with my "senior bladder" and frequent trips to the loo and mine is clean and has a dry floor. Same situation with sporting events and drunk fans; I'll watch the games on TV, not pay $40 to park, or $12 for a beer. Movie goers and sports fans need to vote with their feet and stay home.

FWIW: Regal Cinemas is owned by billionaire Philip Anschutz who owns the 5-star Broadmoor Resort in Colorado Springs, the Staples Center in L.A., the L.A. Live complex, owns 120 various venues, owns the L.A. Kings and part of the L.A. Lakers, owned the Southern Pacific RR, represents Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, Carrie Underwood and promotes their concert tours, and has the contract to be concessionaire in many National Parks, not to mention even more. Too much and never enough. Filing for bankruptcy is usually a ploy to skip out on paying debts and foist the costs onto banks and/or taxpayers.
When I read this, it triggered a memory of the only other Anschutz I've ever known or heard of, long-time Kansas City KCTV-5 news anchor Wendall Anschutz. A quick search reveals that Wendall and Philip are first cousins, both being from Russell, Kansas.

I was an avid movie-goer from the mid-60s onward until my appetite for the theater experience gradually faded to very little by the 2000s. For the last 20 years, it has taken an extraordinary film release to lure me back. And those have been fewer and farther between.

But now I'm done....and the last straw, on top of the ones already mentioned regarding the annoyance of so many other patrons these days, is "reserved seating". Over the last 5 years or so, it seems nearly all chain theater groups have moved to this and it is the dumbest idea ever conceived in the history of retail cinema.

The biggest factor, by far....by 100 times the weight of all other factors....in determining whether any given seat in the house is a good one or a bad one.......is the quality or not of your viewing "neighbors". Never in my life have I bought a movie ticket for a seat I was stuck with without official sanction of a seat change by management. Never have I and never will I. Not even Top Gun: Maverick could override my abhorrence of the notion that I am trapped in any given seat, no matter how good it looks when you first decide on it. That all changes in a heartbeat when Howard Stern files in with a half dozen of his closest friends and sits right behind or beside you.

All told, in all of my movie theater experiences, I have moved from my originally chosen seat probably near half the time. I don't hesitate....as I've learned too many times that it only gets worse. I'm gone at first annoyance. Almost never do I go at "packed-house" times, so I typically have plenty of other options.

For customers like me, "reserved seating" is fatal to the business. You HAVE to be able to move without hesitation or hassle.

I didn't forgo Top Gun:Maverick, BTW. I bought the digital version. Too many other options today to put up with theater aggravation.

Old 09-24-2022, 12:52 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Totally agree on the reserved seating. If it was one or two days a week, yeah. Those who like it could use it. Those of us who hate it could go other days.

I was just looking online at the auction of everything in the Hollywood Cinema in Mobile AL, prior to demolition. Lots and lots of recliner rockers in small lots, in case you want a couple. Just looking through the listings made me realize the staggering amount of money that gets dumped into making a multiplex.

Old 09-24-2022, 01:13 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,422,252 times
I am not at all a movie goer but I have already seen 2 movies this year ( which is more than most years for me even pre covid).
There is a chain near me, Marcus Movie Theatres/ Movie Tavern which has all the bells and whistles, and also offers terrific promotions. Every Tuesday, every show is $5. I tend to go early in the day and it suits me fine.

https://www.marcustheatres.com/
They have locations in many states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies