Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2022, 02:32 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,074,759 times

Advertisements

My wife and I used to go to the movies for “date night” once a week.
We did that for years.
When we purchased our retirement home 4 years ago in the sticks one thing we were really concerned about was where is the closest movie theater.
Sounds odd but it was actually important to us at the time.
Well covid came and that killed that.
We also purchased an 82 inch TV and just started streaming movies.
The wife bought some theater type electric reclining sofa’s and that was nice.
Recently we even killed paying for tv cable.
We now stream everything.
We don’t miss regular television or going to the movies at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2022, 07:11 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
I saw 'Wakanda Forever' and the theatre was packed.
Saw it too.

Full theater.

Old 11-14-2022, 06:45 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Saw it too.

Full theater.
Saw it yesterday. Including us, there were 18 people in a theater built to seat almost 300.

Old 11-14-2022, 10:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
What do you care how much a movie costs? You're loaded. Lol.
I would call us comfortable. We are actually below the median family income in our city.

Old 11-20-2022, 08:25 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
We just went to see Ticket To Paradise at local multi-theater last night. We don't go out to movies that much at all, but we love the recliner sitting, big container of popcorn and large Pepsi. I always get a hotdog also. There were only 12 people in the smaller theater last night, most likely because the movie has been out for almost a month. Newer movies are shown in the bigger theater rooms at this multi-theater.

We wanted to see Top Gun Maverick on at the same theater, but it was there, then gone. So, we rented it from Comcast Xfinity for 2-days and watched it twice. Liked it so much, we bought it online. We both had seen the original Top Gun, which really helped to understand Top Gun Maverick, plus, I spent some years in the Navy, but not Navy Aviation.

But, for brand new movies, I seriously doubt theaters will go under.

Old 11-20-2022, 09:05 AM

3,662 posts, read 2,943,593 times
I just have one request for theater operators. Please lower the preview volume, it's obnoxious loud. I have to use earplugs.

Old 11-20-2022, 09:23 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
I just have one request for theater operators. Please lower the preview volume, it's obnoxious loud. I have to use earplugs.
It was very loud last night. Wife had to put in her foam ear plugs and I had to turn off my hearing aids. But, then again, the movie was being shown in a much smaller theater at the Multi-Plex Theater we were at. Smaller the room, the louder noise can be.

Old 11-20-2022, 09:45 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
We also purchased an 82 inch TV and just started streaming movies.
The wife bought some theater type electric reclining sofa’s and that was nice.
Recently we even killed paying for tv cable.
We now stream everything.
We don’t miss regular television or going to the movies at all.

Nice, an 82"! Now I love TV & movies & we used to go to the movies quite a lot pre-COVID, but oddly we haven't really missed stepping foot in a theater since either.

But yes, when our current 32" TV conks out, we'll get at least a 43" or 47" & mk it more of a theatre experience!

HOWEVER, cable TV's another story! Our cable TV's finally gone (NOT our choice) as of mid-Oct (2022) after having it all along for decades. We really miss being able to flip through channels & watch local news! With cable TV, it was so easy.

We have a few streaming services now, but never as our MAIN/ONLY way of watching TV before. I'm waiting on the Black Friday deal to hopefully sign up for YouTube TV (or some other multi-channel streamign service) & Discovery+.

Other than getting an antennae, how do people watch LOCAL channels?

Old 11-21-2022, 09:13 AM

737 posts, read 409,699 times
I hope so because it cost way too much

Old 01-21-2023, 07:57 AM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Six Regal Cinemas theaters across the Southland are set to shut down, according to a new filing that the chain’s parent company, Cineworld Group, submitted Tuesday as part of its bankruptcy proceedings.

The Southern California locations are among 39 that comprise a list of “Leases to Be Rejected” in the Cineworld filing. The closures are expected to begin in February (2023).

Theaters in Berkeley and Las Vegas will also be affected.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...ern-california
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies