Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2023, 11:33 AM

11,428 posts, read 5,967,061 times

Advertisements

I would say that 1940s and 1950s films generally smoke the 1990s for "golden era".

If your criteria is color and sound and screen resolution and special effects, the low tech 40s and 50s fall FAR short.

If your criteria is having a massive variety of compelling and enjoyable stories, brought to life with stellar writing and brilliant acting and terrific story telling, I will take the 40s and 50s any day. The 1960s mated better tech to much of the quality of acting and storytelling of the earliler decades.

The 70s wer the era of the blockbuster but had a lot of cannon fodder too. A lot of 70s movies are pretty unspectacular.

The 1990s saw a decent number of good movies but nothing at all like a "golden era" compared to earlier decades. What is for certain is that Hollywood still made GOOD movies in the 1990s. After 2005 Hollywood fell off a cliff and has never found its way back, despite a handful of gems. The 1990s are only a golden era in relation to the dismal tripe being produced today.

Now, if having a diverse cast is your primary need, then yes Hollywood today has never been better. I am more about the story and characters than who is playing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2023, 11:46 AM

501 posts, read 196,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
The 70s wer the era of the blockbuster but had a lot of cannon fodder too. A lot of 70s movies are pretty unspectacular.
But what a great decade for horror and dystopian sci-fi.

Old 02-28-2023, 11:51 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Some great movies from every category during the 90s. This isn't meant to be exhaustive. I'm going off the top of my head. I got tired of typing, but no, I did not forget about Forrest Gump and The Matrix.

Comedy

My Cousin Vinny
Austin Powers
There's Something About Mary
Groundhog Day
The Big Lebowski
Death Becomes Her
The Nutty Professor
The Waterboy
Blankman
Tommy Boy
Rush Hour
Friday
Ace Ventura
Major League 2

Political Thrillers

JFK
The Hunt for Red October
Patriot Games
Clear and Present Danger
The Pelican Brief
The Insider
The Firm
Enemy of the State

Psycho Thrillers/Crime Dramas

Fargo
The Silence of the Lambs
Reservoir Dogs
Basic Instinct
Magnolia
Pulp Fiction
Arlington Road
American History X
The Sixth Sense
Se7en
The Talented Mr. Ripley
The Fugitive (I know it was a remake)

Big Budget Action

Terminator 2: Judgment Day
Mission Impossible
Independence Day
Men in Black
Bad Boys
Speed
Total Recall
Heat
Blade

Serious Drama

Schindler's List
Dances with Wolves
Philadelphia
The Shawshank Redemption
A Few Good Men
Good Will Hunting
Malcolm X
Braveheart
Saving Private Ryan
A League of Their Own
Geronimo: An American Legend
Sleepers
Disclosure
School Ties

RomComs and Love Stories

Ghost
Titanic
As Good As It Gets
Jerry Maguire
Pretty Woman
Sleepless in Seattle
Notting Hill
Meet Joe Black
Shakespeare In Love

Old 02-28-2023, 11:53 AM

I've always felt this movie was underrated. As is Joan Cusack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfvJFb8XdLI

Old 02-28-2023, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I would say that 1940s and 1950s films generally smoke the 1990s for "golden era".

If your criteria is color and sound and screen resolution and special effects, the low tech 40s and 50s fall FAR short.

If your criteria is having a massive variety of compelling and enjoyable stories, brought to life with stellar writing and brilliant acting and terrific story telling, I will take the 40s and 50s any day. The 1960s mated better tech to much of the quality of acting and storytelling of the earliler decades.

The 1990s saw a decent number of good movies but nothing at all like a "golden era" compared to earlier decades. What is for certain is that Hollywood still made GOOD movies in the 1990s. After 2005 Hollywood fell off a cliff and has never found its way back, despite a handful of gems. The 1990s are only a golden era in relation to the dismal tripe being produced today.

Now, if having a diverse cast is your primary need, then yes Hollywood today has never been better. I am more about the story and characters than who is playing them.
I can't agree with you about the acting from that era. You could tell that many of them were trained stage actors and as a result their acting feels wooden and doesn't translate that well to the silver screen IMO. The adoption of method acting and naturalism in the 60s and beyond resulted in much better acting, I think.

Old 02-28-2023, 06:56 PM

11,428 posts, read 5,967,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I can't agree with you about the acting from that era. You could tell that many of them were trained stage actors and as a result their acting feels wooden and doesn't translate that well to the silver screen IMO. The adoption of method acting and naturalism in the 60s and beyond resulted in much better acting, I think.
Without doubt, it would be a person's perspective on that. Humphrey Bogart refused to work with any actor who slurred his words and made it difficult for audiences to understand what was being said. With my bad hearing, I really appreciate those threatrically trained actors who enunciated their words.

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 02-28-2023 at 07:04 PM..

Old 03-01-2023, 05:18 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,225,871 times
I don't know that I would call the 90's the "golden era" in film, but it was definitely the pinnacle of pop culture, and we've been going downhill ever since.

Old 03-01-2023, 07:25 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,256,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Absolutely correct. Brilliant as Hitchcock was, the acting in a lot of his movies is ... well, not good to say the least. He tended to have exceptionally good actresses, but Anthony Perkins aside, most of the actors in his movie exhibited all the natural emotion of cured wood.

There were some great movies in the '90s. No doubt. But the Golden Era of American Cinema? That was the 1970s. Absolutely no contest.

Old 03-02-2023, 04:28 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,806,194 times
Quote:
the 90s was the golden era of american cinema

Old 03-04-2023, 10:49 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,041,562 times
IMHO, the 90's mass media was an extension of the 80's for the most part.

True the special effects & 3D became much more sophisticated in the later decade, but I don't see it as very distinctive compared to say the 1950's or 1960' or 1970's for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies