Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 11:31 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,661,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Ushers in movie theatres during the late 1960s/early 1970s probably saw more movies repeatedly than just about anyone. During my brief stint as one I found myself able to recite entire dialogs. I can only imagine an usher who had to watch "E.T." for the length of a run of a year or more at a theatre.

I've seen "Stunt Man" well over a hundred times. The Jungian implications and the performances were entrancing to me. "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" is probably a close second. By now, both are so entrenched in memory that watching is no longer as interesting.

Some movies are designed to be seen multiple times, a few actually pull that off. Most are a one-time run through the plot and done.

I thought we were the only ones who knew Stunt Man! We're probably only at 12-15 viewings, though .
I have probably seen High Noon more than a hundred times myself--most recently last Sunday, I believe. Watched the whole thing. I can indeed recite the entire dialog, and hum the whole soundtrack. Sometimes I just let it run in the background--but I rarely turn it off if it's on TV. By this time it's like being with family, very reassuring during stressful times.

Other movies I just can't turn off even after dozens of viewings:
The Searchers
The Man Who Would Be King
Some Like It Hot
Bringing Up Baby
Jeremiah Johnson
The River of No Return
King of the Khyber Rifles
East of Eden
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2023, 12:16 AM

22,152 posts, read 19,203,648 times
i remember dating someone for a while, and their teenage niece visited for a couple weeks from out of state. this niece had a favorite movie (which of course she brought with her and watched daily during her visit) which she had apparently watched over 70 times (I don't even remember the movie) to the point where she literally had the entire movie memorized. I thought this was an exaggeration until i watched her watching this movie and she said every single line of the movie along with the movie while it was playing. it was bizarre and fascinating.

i've known people who have favorite lines or scenes they recite, but never have i seen someone literally recite the whole movie as it unfolded.

Old 04-05-2023, 01:34 AM

5,010 posts, read 590,697 times
Default What movie have you seen the most?

The Hangover

Old 04-05-2023, 03:03 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,444,730 times
The Wizard of Oz

The series of "THe Godfather" - I swear those quotes in there are used in my life contingent on the circumstance

Shawshank Redemption.- Again another great movie where the quotes play into every day conversations

The above have been a minimum of 15 times...

THe wizard was because my family had it as a tradition each year around Thanksgiving growing up. Us kids (cousins, aunts etc) gathered around the tv and marveled at it on our local PBS station...

Old 04-05-2023, 03:15 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,628,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Office Space. Stopped tracking after 31 times.
Me too. Maybe not quite that many times, but more than any other movie.

And just think the movie flopped at the box office when it was released.

The movie applies today just as much as it did then. In fact, I had an "Office Space" moment just yesterday at work! Told by four different managers to make sure I understood the latest "memo" that was put out.

Old 04-05-2023, 05:14 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,182,938 times
Probably Lost Highway (6-7 times).

Old 04-05-2023, 08:40 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I thought we were the only ones who knew Stunt Man! We're probably only at 12-15 viewings, though .
Oh, no, I read the book as a tween, remember it fondly, have a copy or two, the Ballantine Books edition, glance at it every once in a while. The thing is.........the movie is nothing like the book. In fact, the movie "Escape"
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067064..._flmg_t_39_act
is closer to that book, in the stunts, than the movie in question. BUT.........to each their own.

Old 04-05-2023, 09:42 AM

22,327 posts, read 29,407,323 times
Forrest Gump
The Notebook
Shawshank Redemption
Hope Floats
Castaway

Old 04-05-2023, 10:31 PM

982 posts, read 539,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Probably Lost Highway (6-7 times).
Have only seen it maybe 5 times or so but yeah....very good and slightly odd movie.

Old 04-05-2023, 10:32 PM

982 posts, read 539,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Office Space. Stopped tracking after 31 times.
Yes. Not as many times as Star Wars but I've seen it probably 20 times or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies