Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 03:20 PM

49 posts, read 137,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinegirl View Post
Me, too. (Looking forward to seeing it, that is.) Must have been terrifying living there at the time.

Not sure if I'm allowed to write this - guess we'll see: Our local video store closed, so we joined Netflix. I was skeptical, but they deliver as advertised , something I'm not accustomed to these days.
Hey my dad had Netflix for a while. He liked it but all he REALLY used it for was to copy them. He would make a list then when he was done with that one he sent it back and watched it later. This Process went on for a about a year. Needles to say he has a lot of burnt DVD's. SHHH don't tell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 09:42 PM

653 posts, read 3,409,094 times
I'm Mostly into IFC films. The movie MIRAGE with a young actor by the name of Marko Kovacevic, was an Excellent movie. Has an great message as well.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:53 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,469 times
I just saw the Illusionist last night and it was incredible! There's not a lot of movies made that well nowadays. I just loved everything about it and Edward Norton was just fantastic! Anyone else seen it? Liked it or not?

Old 03-30-2007, 11:57 AM

49 posts, read 137,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
I just saw the Illusionist last night and it was incredible! There's not a lot of movies made that well nowadays. I just loved everything about it and Edward Norton was just fantastic! Anyone else seen it? Liked it or not?
I watched the illusionist when it first came out. I throughly enjoyed it. It kind of makes you wonder whether or not that was real what he did. But the best part is, is that they show you how he did those tricks but now one thinks it could be that obvious. Very good. Edward Norton is first-class in acting. Definitely a must see!

Old 03-30-2007, 01:02 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
I really liked the Illusionist, but preferred The Prestige.
Both good, well-acted movies with a twist.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:01 AM

8 posts, read 60,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I went without movies for a long time; just recently I discovered (not always bright) that I could see movies on my laptop and have been trying to catch up.

Any good recommendations for funny; sad; majestically beautiful; entertaining and/or educational?

Great Movie: Who killed the Electric Car (a documentary that will make your blood pressure soar!)
Little Miss Sunshine, Amores Perros, Wages of Fear, The Life of David Gale,
Three Burials.

That's all for now. If you like those, then you and I have similar tastes. Let me know and I will recommend more. I tend to enjoy foreign films more than our domestic. Amores Perros is very enlightening (bloody, though).

Fonz43

Thanks

Old 03-31-2007, 09:07 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
Thanks, Fonz43, for the recommendations. I've seen about 3 dozen films since I asked this question but inasmuch as I am literally more or less "ontheroad" I am falling behind on my commitment to see 5 per week. I'll try to catch up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonz43 View Post
Great Movie: Who killed the Electric Car (a documentary that will make your blood pressure soar!)
Little Miss Sunshine, Amores Perros, Wages of Fear, The Life of David Gale,
Three Burials.

That's all for now. If you like those, then you and I have similar tastes. Let me know and I will recommend more. I tend to enjoy foreign films more than our domestic. Amores Perros is very enlightening (bloody, though).

Fonz43

Thanks

Old 03-31-2007, 09:18 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Here's one that is incredible, Osama. No, it's not about THAT Osama. It was the first film shot entirely in Afghanistan after the fall of the Taliban, using all Afghan actors and actresses. It's about a little girl who poses as a boy so she can earn money for the family (all the men in her family have been killed and during Taliban rule, women couldn't work outside the home). It's just amazing and the ending will haunt you.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:01 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Here's one that is incredible, Osama. No, it's not about THAT Osama. It was the first film shot entirely in Afghanistan after the fall of the Taliban, using all Afghan actors and actresses. It's about a little girl who poses as a boy so she can earn money for the family (all the men in her family have been killed and during Taliban rule, women couldn't work outside the home). It's just amazing and the ending will haunt you.
That movie blew me away. Haunted me for weeks.

Going to watch this tonight: For Your Consideration, directed by Christopher Guest

Old 03-31-2007, 07:14 PM

67 posts, read 132,886 times
"This Film is Not Yet Rated" - a great documentary on the MPAA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies